Sword Recommendations

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Sword Recommendations

Post by Manveruon »

Can you possibly link to some reviews of those? Are there any out there? I've been wondering about those swords since Windlass introduced them, but so far nobody here has gotten one, to my knowledge, and I don't really frequent the SBG and other sword-buyer forums.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Aaron »

Here is a link to Zoe's review on SBG:

http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/vie ... f=6&t=9092

I keep thinking Bill Swiger did a review there also but I can't find it...I'll post it if I come across it.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I think I read something Bill did also, but heading out for work in a minute.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks guys! Did a little Google digging last night and came up with that review myself, actually. Very good info there. I'd definitely be interested in another opinion too, if it's out there.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Bill's post (the last one on the page):
http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/vie ... 0&start=60

He received a second one (later in the thread) that he said had a much better peen and the blade felt stiffer.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks! Looks like most people have gone with the brazil nut pomel so far. I do like the look of that, though a more classic disc pommel is probably what I'd go for, just because it can fit into a wider time range. Still, I love how the brazil nut looks.

Overall, they appear to be relatively decent swords. I'm definitely not a fan of the scabbard though. Which is a shame, because the drawing of it on the site looks great. I just wasn't expecting it to be kind of cruddy suede. I have to wonder if they'd use a smooth leather instead if one were to ask.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Manveruon wrote:Thanks! Looks like most people have gone with the brazil nut pomel so far. I do like the look of that, though a more classic disc pommel is probably what I'd go for, just because it can fit into a wider time range. Still, I love how the brazil nut looks.

Overall, they appear to be relatively decent swords. I'm definitely not a fan of the scabbard though. Which is a shame, because the drawing of it on the site looks great. I just wasn't expecting it to be kind of cruddy suede. I have to wonder if they'd use a smooth leather instead if one were to ask.
Personally I'd buy it without the scabbard and make my own. You have the skills to make one anyway. Ye Old Gaffers website has a pretty good tutorial on scabbard making.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

For those interested in a short stabbing sword I saw this just posted:

http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/vie ... 36&t=11122

The seller Larry is a great guy, I've dealt with him on several occasions.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have one of those, but mine never had the ricasso and the blade fit snugly in the scabbard. Nice blade too. I've changed the pommel, hilt, and guard to walnut and bone.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's a nice looking gladius! I dig the removal of the ricasso. That often drives me nuts on modern swords.

And Mcapanelli - I agree. If I end up getting one of the MRL swords, that's likely exactly what I'll end up doing. Honestly, scabbard making sounds like it could be a really fun project!
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

I would personally recomend a type 10 -12 range. i myself use the Tinker Norman sword i customized. its barely over two pounds in weight, and is very agile in the hand. I beleive it's closer to a type 10a. like Greg I am biased to that type blade i use. it's like having an old freind with you. as i consider sheilds perfectly acceptable for rangers to use (imho Boromir would have survived the ambush had he not neglected to take his sheild along) it's for me at least a good system. also i beleive Aragorn used a sheild from the armoury of rohan at helms deep. ill have to look to make sure im right about it. you couldnt do that with anything larger than a single hand blade. so i recoment taking a look at Cas Hanwie Tinker line. or the VA line of blades the Christian Fletcer designed blades that is :). I think you would be well served with a choice from either line, and are a value for the money. :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

For a short sword axe combo like you speak of I dont think you can go wrong with Dwaynes Tinker Hanwei Norman. Those blades are handy while still being long enough to give a decent reach, and they are stiffer than alot of high end X's making them decent thrusters....a very versatile weapon for the money.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Thanks for all of your thoughts!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I recommend THIS SWORD I made him an offer but it was too low. Unfortunately I can't afford to go higher at this time so I'll have to envy it form afar.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

mcapanelli wrote:I recommend THIS SWORD I made him an offer but it was too low. Unfortunately I can't afford to go higher at this time so I'll have to envy it form afar.
Yeah, I saw that one but it's wayyyyy too far out of my price range.
Absolutely stunning though!