Bow grips

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Bow grips

Post by Laothain »

I'm saving up for a new bow but I have a question on bow grips. The examples I got from Grey Goose Bows are straight, full compass and pistol and I have no idea yet what the advantages of each are. Any help would be appreciated.
Aaron

Re: Bow grips

Post by Aaron »

What style bow are you looking at?
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

I'm looking at either an flat bow or a European Hunting Bow. I haven't desided on which yet because they are similar.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I can make you a leather grip if you are interested.
It can be as simple as you like or if you have something in mind I can most likely tool to your specs or match something you like.
Shoot me a PM if you want to brainstorm. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

I just may have to do that Ringulf :mrgreen: I think that there might be a misunderstanding in terms here. On your guys bows what does the spot where you hold your bow look like?
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Personally, I don't use bows with shaped grips, because period Middle Ages bows generally didn't have anything of that nature. That being said, there's a reason people started doing that - it's far more comfortable, and gives a more secure grip for more accurate shooting. Still, if "primitive plausibility" is a concern, I'd recommend getting a bow with an un-shaped grip, or one that just has a gentle swell where the hand goes.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Agree with Manveruon, if you're wanting a traditional bow go as simple as you can. For performance go for shaped, but I don't think it looks very nice and you can get just as good with practice.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

My wife and I used a leather tennis wrap for the handle of our u-finish bow. It ended up having a little writing on it, but with a little extra overlap, it was easily covered. It turned out quite nice.

As for the shape of the grip, I too like the idea of a little extra flat wood on the handle to build it up. No pistol grip though. Shooting off the hand is still possible to be accurate. It does take extra practice to be consistent. Plus, since my wife is left eye dominant, this allowed us to both use the same bow shooting right and left handed.