A very sad day...

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

A very sad day...

Post by Jon »

It happened... my bow snapped :(

I guess I was lucky that the first bow I made lasted that long!

I think I pulled it back a couple more inches than normal to get a bit more power... and it just snapped. The top half went flying but I remained unhurt (:
Just before I'd noticed some stress marks along the belly of the bow but didn't think too much of them since my other bow has some as well and it's fine. Not sure what actually started the break. On the back there is a tool mark that the split in the maple started from, but it the whole break started further up in the walnut belly... I don't think it was the lamination as the start of the fracture is in the wood, which then goes out to the weakness at the join, and then back into some fault in the walnut.

I also didn't warm up the bow much and hadn't shot it for a month or so - maybe that's a reason for it? It had coped being drawn that far back before, even though the 'official' length was less.

In any case, very sad to see it go. It was close to my heart as my first 'proper' self-made bow. I think I'll have to glue it up and put it above the mantelpiece. :)

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: A very sad day...

Post by Peter Remling »

Sorry to hear that but glad you're unhurt.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Yeah, these things happen. Glad you're okay!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh dear!

But yes, thank goodness you're unhurt.

Perhaps a piece of the wood could go on as a knife handle or something - some useful reminder to carry with you?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Elleth wrote:Oh dear!

But yes, thank goodness you're unhurt.

Perhaps a piece of the wood could go on as a knife handle or something - some useful reminder to carry with you?
That's a great idea.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

I am sorry to hear that. But I am glad that you are harm free.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Bummer man. As someone who has had more than his fair share of bows break on him (so much so that I am officially registering my name in the SCA as "Michael Brekebowe"), I know very well how disheartening, and unnerving it can be to have a bow fail like that. May it rest in piece.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Manveruon wrote:May it rest in piece.
I see what you did there. ha ha. ha. ):

I actually really like the idea of incorporating the wood into something else. Not sure what though - it was a flatbow so a bit to thin for a knife handle I think...

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Heh, I try, in my own subtle little way. But still, bummer. I think using the wood for another project sounds like a really cool idea.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Dirhael wrote:
Manveruon wrote:May it rest in piece.
I see what you did there. ha ha. ha. ):

I actually really like the idea of incorporating the wood into something else. Not sure what though - it was a flatbow so a bit to thin for a knife handle I think...
I would say you could use the handle for maybe a hidden tang knife (not sure though). As for the flats, you could use them for a full-tanged knife - like the walnut one I just posted. Shouldn't be a problem for a knife maker of a little bit of skill. :)
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

You are very fortunate my brother! I have also seen some nasty injuries from bow breaks but as has been said, it happens, and you are clever and resourceful so I know you will not be bowless for long! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Never had that happen yet, but I seen it at some touneys....glad you were not hurt.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Sindara
Dúnadan

Post by Sindara »

Oh Jon, I am sorry about the bow, but am so glad that you were not hurt. I was really at a loss when mine broke. Since I don't yet know how to make a bow, am still trying to get the money together to get another - and feel 'naked' without one!
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.