Overnight trip to test clothing

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

athfwyn
Wayfarer

Overnight trip to test clothing

Post by athfwyn »

This was my first outing in my middle earth garb as my character Athfwyn Brandybuck, who was most certainly off to the Misty Mountains this trip.
photo_2024-05-06_10-13-17 (2).jpg
photo_2024-05-06_10-13-17 (2).jpg (119.8 KiB) Viewed 676 times
The hike in was only slightly over a league, but my mixture of wool and linen clothing actually kept me very comfortable in the rain. The beautiful scenery also certainly helped.
photo_2024-05-06_10-13-25.jpg
photo_2024-05-06_10-13-25.jpg (218.71 KiB) Viewed 676 times
We made camp and I set about making a fire with flint and steel.
photo_2024-05-06_10-12-37.jpg
photo_2024-05-06_10-12-37.jpg (142.66 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Once the fire was going, and after some nice tea, I prepared some shelf fungus to char to be used on my next trip.
photo_2024-05-06_10-13-23.jpg
photo_2024-05-06_10-13-23.jpg (138.21 KiB) Viewed 676 times
It was a very wet and rainy overnight trip, so excuse my hair, but this is my working outfit for her. The hood and overdress/pinafore were made by me.
photo_2024-05-06_10-13-58.jpg
photo_2024-05-06_10-13-58.jpg (230.66 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Not pictured of course were the modern backpack, nor modern tent. I do need to get around to making a more traditional backpack but clothing has been my focus this far. I found the walking staff and am hoping to work on it this week to make it a bit better. Also, figuring out what trade Athfwyn has that causes her to travel about so is something I'm pondering quite a bit because I'd like to make some trappings and bring those with to practice, and I'd be very open to any suggestions.

All in all it was a lovely outing and I'm excited for future adventures for my character as they come about.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Overnight trip to test clothing

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome!
Frodo lives!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Wecome, and what a wonderful trip! The Pacific Northwest is gorgeous, I'm jealous! :mrgreen:

You're off to an amazing start!

The nice thing about Hobbits is you've got a lot of nice off the shelf options for packs and such from the 18th c. folks.
A plain linen sack with rope straps is good for a "I just improvised something, this was sort of unplanned" story, and there's lots of nice comfortable options for the walking sorts.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

Elleth wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:31 am Wecome, and what a wonderful trip! The Pacific Northwest is gorgeous, I'm jealous! :mrgreen:

You're off to an amazing start!

The nice thing about Hobbits is you've got a lot of nice off the shelf options for packs and such from the 18th c. folks.
A plain linen sack with rope straps is good for a "I just improvised something, this was sort of unplanned" story, and there's lots of nice comfortable options for the walking sorts.
Thanks so much! I think I'm leaning towards someone using more old fashioned (at the time) clothing. Given the language similarities, something similar to Rohan-ish, i.e. lots of Anglo-Saxon influences. Perhaps she is someone from a family that was late to the great migration, or still migrating. I'm not sure yet. I'm just not a fan of Kay Woollard's artistic interpretations of Hobbits, even though she is a great artist. It could also be because I thought about doing a character of the Haladin, but didn't want them to be so war-like. But maybe I should swing back to that instead to be better representative of what I want to make?

I did see your excellent tutorial on a snapsack, and I want to make one of those of just linen whenever possible. Also a market wallet would be helpful to make I think. My goal is to slowly replace my existing woods kit with homemade items and test them out to see what works. It may take me a little while though.
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

I'm originally from Portland and this makes me so homesick! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. 🙂
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

WOW!

Everything about this is awesome.

Welcome to the fun.
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

Thank you all very much! I'm excited to go out again soon and I will share when I do. :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Athfwyn, Greetings

I like the pinafore and hood, I think you've caught the right 'feeling'..... Very Hobbity looking walking stave (and 'Stoor Boots' too, this is a woman who is out travelling in all weathers... Not just a gentle stroll to a friends house)
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:36 pm Athfwyn, Greetings

I like the pinafore and hood, I think you've caught the right 'feeling'..... Very Hobbity looking walking stave (and 'Stoor Boots' too, this is a woman who is out travelling in all weathers... Not just a gentle stroll to a friends house)
Greetings! And thank you very much for your message. I'm glad I'm working in the right direction for my hobbit character. I still have a long road to go though, but I am excited to travel it! :)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very nicely done! You're off to a great start.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
pellegrino

Post by pellegrino »

Nice! Thanks for posting.
"Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart"

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

athfwyn wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:09 pm Not pictured of course were the modern backpack, nor modern tent. I do need to get around to making a more traditional backpack but clothing has been my focus this far. I found the walking staff and am hoping to work on it this week to make it a bit better. Also, figuring out what trade Athfwyn has that causes her to travel about so is something I'm pondering quite a bit because I'd like to make some trappings and bring those with to practice, and I'd be very open to any suggestions.
Everything you have done looks great. As for what trade. I suggest a review from Kramer on the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n5YNDLXLm4
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

It's not often someone starts with an overnight in rainy conditions. Well done Athfwyn.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.