Existence of the Slipjoint?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

athfwyn
Wayfarer

Existence of the Slipjoint?

Post by athfwyn »

Sorry if this is in the wrong sub forum, I think that that a pen knife is a tool, not a weapon so it should fall under hard kit? At least that is my opinion on the matter.

Anyways, I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the existence of slipjoint knives in Middle Earth. I'm leaning towards that they do, due to Faramir's pen knife, and the fact that the Shire is a roughly 18th century time. While the first ever known slipjoint knives were manufactured historically in the early 17th century. I know pinned folding knives have existed for millennia and thus would not be out of place in Middle Earth as well (unfortunately it seems the few that are still made this day have very large blade stamps, opinel for example, that sort of take one out of the whole experience). I am just searching for a suitable background for me to find a folding knife for adventures I go on where sheath knives are not allowed, and would very much appreciate the advice of others on this matter.
Ian M

Re: Existence of the Slipjoint?

Post by Ian M »

Slipjoint knives have been existence since 500-600 bce, with brass bolsters and grooved handles to receive the blade.
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/ ... fe.340278/

You should be able to use a nice 18th c knife for your kit that's not too modern yet feel right for the Shire
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

Ian M wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:46 pm Slipjoint knives have been existence since 500-600 bce, with brass bolsters and grooved handles to receive the blade.
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/ ... fe.340278/

You should be able to use a nice 18th c knife for your kit that's not too modern yet feel right for the Shire
Hello, sorry if I'm misinterpreting the above link, but those all seem to be pinned folding knives, with the blade held in place by friction? I do not see any backsprings, which would keep the blade under tension in a slipjoint. I believe that the earliest examples of these that we have are from the 1600s made in Sheffield, by the Barlow family? I have considered using a pinned bladed knife, but again I am struggling to find an inexpensive one without large blade stamps like opinel. Do you have any suggestions?
Ian M

Post by Ian M »

Do you have any examples of what you would like to aim for?
Most of the knives use friction fit because you're only cutiing in one direction. If you're poking something, that might cause the knife to close abruptly, but there shouldn't be an issue with cutting
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Something like this perhaps?

Its from a re-enactment supplier (and only £12) who covers the Napoleonic Period, I think its a backspring rather then a friction
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

Ian M wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:26 pm Do you have any examples of what you would like to aim for?
Most of the knives use friction fit because you're only cutiing in one direction. If you're poking something, that might cause the knife to close abruptly, but there shouldn't be an issue with cutting
I think I'm looking for something like a MAM knife, but sadly they do not make it in a carbon steel. That would be a good friction folder though.
mam.png
mam.png (133.07 KiB) Viewed 471 times
ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:18 pm Something like this perhaps?

Its from a re-enactment supplier (and only £12) who covers the Napoleonic Period, I think its a backspring rather then a friction
Exactly something like that! I do currently have a red bone single bladed barlow that I like to use in a lot of tasks and would like to stick to that, but I'm not sure if the backspring is something that would exist in Middle Earth? I would like to think that it does because of hobbit technology and Faramir's pen knife, but I am not sure. Do you think a blade like that would be a good fit in ME?
Ian M

Post by Ian M »

They have a lot of options in the Napoleonic and American Revolution period that have that sort of look
If you're in the states, GG Godwin https://www.gggodwin.com/Pocket-Knives_c_75.html has assorted pocket knives that would look at home in the bits and bobs you may find in ME
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The thing is, for stuff like this Hobbits get a pass.
Most of ME is Dark Ages to Early Medieval, but The Professor made The Shire quite anachronistic.
Matches, Smoking pipes, and Mantle clocks to name but a few.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

Ian M wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:16 pm They have a lot of options in the Napoleonic and American Revolution period that have that sort of look
If you're in the states, GG Godwin https://www.gggodwin.com/Pocket-Knives_c_75.html has assorted pocket knives that would look at home in the bits and bobs you may find in ME
That is very helpful thank you very much! Have you ordered from them before? I'm going to message them about their knife lengths and then order one.
ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:04 pm The thing is, for stuff like this Hobbits get a pass.
Most of ME is Dark Ages to Early Medieval, but The Professor made The Shire quite anachronistic.
Matches, Smoking pipes, and Mantle clocks to name but a few.
That makes perfect sense, thank you very much for explaining that. :)
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I carry a mildly customised svord peasant knife as part of my standard kit. It feels pretty plausible.
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

Ian M wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:16 pm They have a lot of options in the Napoleonic and American Revolution period that have that sort of look
It seems that they have some pretty terrible reviews on the BBB. I'll keep an eye out for something similar, thank you.
https://www.bbb.org/us/pa/valley-forge/ ... er-reviews
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

theowl wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:20 am I carry a mildly customised svord peasant knife as part of my standard kit. It feels pretty plausible.
Oh that's such a good idea. Do you have any photos of it? I'm still on the hunt for a historical friction folder it looks like, and modifying one of those could be a great project.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

As an additional option, I think I've seen some of the Godwin folders carried by other 18th c. vendors.
I think sometimes they have modern nation of origin marks on the blades or are from stainless, so if you care it's worth checking before purchase.

https://www.townsends.us/collections/kn ... kn158-p-76

https://smilingfoxforge.com/shop/index. ... er=product

I've had good luck with both vendors for what it's worth. Townsend's especially has always been very reliable.
Samson Historical is also a good place, especially for clothing you don't have the time to stitch up yourself.

Good luck!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

Elleth wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am As an additional option, I think I've seen some of the Godwin folders carried by other 18th c. vendors.
I think sometimes they have modern nation of origin marks on the blades or are from stainless, so if you care it's worth checking before purchase.

https://www.townsends.us/collections/kn ... kn158-p-76

https://smilingfoxforge.com/shop/index. ... er=product

I've had good luck with both vendors for what it's worth. Townsend's especially has always been very reliable.
Samson Historical is also a good place, especially for clothing you don't have the time to stitch up yourself.

Good luck!
Thank you very much! Those links are exceeding helpful. I tried searching for knives like those, but search engines are doing their algorithm thing. The latter one looks excellent! I did really like the penny knife on GG Goodwin's store, with the similar lock and leather closing method, but haven't found that anywhere else. But I'll keep looking this week and if i can't find it I just get the latter one which thankfully I won't have much of the blade to cut down to get it to the 3 1/2" legal blade length here either. Thank you so much!
pellegrino

Post by pellegrino »

If you're looking for a carbon steel slipjoint, you could also consider Spanish navaja knives, such as the Joker navaja de pistón or Pallares folding knife. Again, these have stamped branding like the Opinel, so I'm not sure if that's a deal breaker. Image
The pallares ones do come in wood handles, but they're a bit more expensive.

Though I don't know how historical either of those two examples are..
"Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart"

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."