Existence of the Slipjoint?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Existence of the Slipjoint?

Post by Elleth »

You know... I think I have one of those bottom ones. I got it ages ago for my 18th c. stuff, and if memory serves was a little disappointed. Hold on... ah! here we go -
folding-knife-comparison.jpg
folding-knife-comparison.jpg (75.19 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Here's a better look, compared with an original. (where "original" just means "made in an old-timey way and found in someone's junk drawer, could be two hundred years old or twenty, there's no easy way to tell")

Anyhow, the Smiling Fox one -

The horn does read as eastern water buffalo, the ring is a plain old modern keyring. But if you sand the horn the replace the ring, you should be fine. I can't remember if the blade is stainless or not, I think it is. The blade doesn't have a locking stud on top, it's just held into place with rather firm spring tension. If that's what you're looking for, it's a nice inexpensive option. If you've more money, I'd be inclined to search etsy for some craftsmen and ask them for something simple and hobbity.

Or for that matter, just haunt ebay for a junk drawer find. That's where mine came from.
Last edited by Elleth on Tue May 14, 2024 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Elleth wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:14 pm You know... I think I have one of those bottom ones. I got it ages ago for my 18th c. stuff, and if memory serves was a little disappointed. Hold on... ah! here we go -

folding-knife-comparison.jpg

Here's a better look, compared with an original. (where "original" just means "made in an old-timey way and found in someone's junk drawer, could be two hundred years old or twenty, there's no easy way to tell")

The horn does read as eastern water buffalo, the ring is a plain old modern keyring. But if you sand the horn the replace the ring, you should be fine. I can't remember if the blade is stainless or not, I think it is. The blade doesn't have a locking stud on top, it's just held into place with rather firm spring tension. If that's what you're looking for, it's a nice inexpensive option. If you've more money, I'd be inclined to search ebay for some craftsmen and ask them for something simple and hobbity.

Or for that matter, just haunt ebay for a junk drawer find. That's where mine came from.

The bone gripped knife does appear to be at least 80 years old or better. First the blade shows extensive wear and has been sharpened many times as evidenced by the unevenness of the blade profile. The other thing that screams its age is the fact that there is no thumbnail groove. Thumbnail grooves have been used on virtually all commercially made folders for the past 100 years up till the time they started adding thumb tabs. Thumbnail grooves allow for an easier way to open a folder, while thumb tabs allow for one handed opening.
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

pellegrino wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:13 pm If you're looking for a carbon steel slipjoint, you could also consider Spanish navaja knives, such as the Joker navaja de pistón or Pallares folding knife. Again, these have stamped branding like the Opinel, so I'm not sure if that's a deal breaker.
The pallares ones do come in wood handles, but they're a bit more expensive.

Though I don't know how historical either of those two examples are..
Thank you! The Pallares folding knife looks perfect. I like the blade length, shape, lack of nail nick, and handle. I actually found a local place that sells the faux-horn plastic colored handle ones for $15, so I'll go get one of those and if I really like it, I'll see how I feel about re-handling it.
Elleth wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:14 pm You know... I think I have one of those bottom ones. I got it ages ago for my 18th c. stuff, and if memory serves was a little disappointed. Hold on... ah! here we go -

The horn does read as eastern water buffalo, the ring is a plain old modern keyring. But if you sand the horn the replace the ring, you should be fine. I can't remember if the blade is stainless or not, I think it is. The blade doesn't have a locking stud on top, it's just held into place with rather firm spring tension. If that's what you're looking for, it's a nice inexpensive option. If you've more money, I'd be inclined to search etsy for some craftsmen and ask them for something simple and hobbity.

I really appreciate the photo thank you! In photo form it really shows how oversized, and well, "prop-like" it seems. These are knives I ill be using, so I'm going to go with the knife that @pellegrino suggested, claiming the 5ft rule on the plastic handle, and keep an eye out for something a bit more historical down the line. Budget is frankly an issue, so I'm very thankfully everyone has been able to help with my questions about these budget knives. Thank you again.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Late to the party as usual.

None of these two are slipjoints but if your new cheap option doesn't work out or you decide you want to upgrade to something a but more historical then Tod makes a few lovely little folders. I have one of his brass ones and it's just right.

https://todcutler.com/collections/eatin ... ife-tcp-65

https://todcutler.com/collections/eatin ... ding-knife

https://todcutler.com/collections/eatin ... nife-tcp66
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

Eofor wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:54 pm Late to the party as usual.

None of these two are slipjoints but if your new cheap option doesn't work out or you decide you want to upgrade to something a but more historical then Tod makes a few lovely little folders. I have one of his brass ones and it's just right.

https://todcutler.com/collections/eatin ... ife-tcp-65

https://todcutler.com/collections/eatin ... nife-tcp66
Those are beautiful! I really like the horn folding knife. That's something I certainly want to save up for. Thank you very much for the links!
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I could see Gaffer Gamgee using (a very worn) one of those plain brass handled ones, maybe the horn creature type in Sam's pocket...... Much to his Dad's disgust about him 'putting on airs' by having 'over pretty' tools
A Gondorian noble would probably have the complex brass one and a common soldier the plain horn type.

Thats just my take.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

I think they'd be perfect. I really like the simple horn one. It is very much on the list to get when funds allow, and I think absolutely beautiful.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

athfwyn wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:51 pm I think they'd be perfect. I really like the simple horn one. It is very much on the list to get when funds allow, and I think absolutely beautiful.
I'll point out that as a Hobbit, birthdays are very important (feel free to mention that to the wife.... While leaving the right page on Tod's website open)

athfwyn
Wayfarer

Post by athfwyn »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:30 pm
athfwyn wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:51 pm I think they'd be perfect. I really like the simple horn one. It is very much on the list to get when funds allow, and I think absolutely beautiful.
I'll point out that as a Hobbit, birthdays are very important (feel free to mention that to the wife.... While leaving the right page on Tod's website open)
Well I did so and my wife laughed and said "I've already ordered it for you." She's a keeper. I'm very excited for it to come in.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

athfwyn wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:42 pm Well I did so and my wife laughed and said "I've already ordered it for you." She's a keeper. I'm very excited for it to come in.
I'm glad you were able to find a more historically sympathetic version that was to your liking!

While I'm a firm advocate for getting out there in whatever gear you currently have I usually advise folks who are getting a new piece of gear to buy once and buy properly rather than try and upgrade. It may take some time to save for the piece but in the end you'll save time and money as well as bring up the overall level of your gear.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

athfwyn wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:42 pm Well I did so and my wife laughed and said "I've already ordered it for you." She's a keeper. I'm very excited for it to come in.
I'm happy for you (don't forget pics!!), if we didn't have the help and support of our nearest&dearest we'd get nowhere.
Eofor wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:07 pm
While I'm a firm advocate for getting out there in whatever gear you currently have I usually advise folks who are getting a new piece of gear to buy once and buy properly rather than try and upgrade. It may take some time to save for the piece but in the end you'll save time and money as well as bring up the overall level of your gear.
I'm behind this, by all means use 'placeholders' (a mora because you can't afford a pattern welded hog-back beltknife yet, or normal hiking boots because you're not sure which style of turnshoe you like the most) but don't buy a fairly expensive item that isn't right for your vision because its less modern then what you have already....... Buy once, cry once