How Hard is it to Rehilt?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Brandwyn
Wanderer

Re: How Hard is it to Rehilt?

Post by Brandwyn »

So that's what your super secret project was!

I LOVE IT!

I will show it off if/when Ringulf and I make it to one of the Ranger Gatherings.

That is some outstanding craftmanship, Love.

So, have you figured out how to finish those saxe blanks I cut for you from the 3/16 stainless steel? Just curious.

Brandy
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well actually I decided to make those the project after the Ranger's Apprentice seaxs, I think I want to make what would be a "Standard issue" set for you guys first then make those as speciel ones from Ringulf, with a more Skandian flavor.

Just so we all know what we are discussing, Brandwyn cut these for me before I found out about the cold steel blades and I was going to make the ranger seaxs from these.

Now like I said these will become a bit more Skandian in nature!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

What did you use to add the color, and darken the carving lines, on the utility seax?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I use a Colwood super-pro burning tool (the one with the two pens, one light and one heavy) as I was, am (when I get around to it) a bird carver, BTW ornathology, bird watching, carving and now even duck and turkey hunting are some of the things I love most besides this stuff!

But you dont need anything too elaborate a simple burning pen will do. I just like mine because if you do any pyrography you can vary the heat to get diferent colors. A reostat like a phade swith for a light will work to if you can put it in line.

Anyway that is how I get the color but you could also wipe a little brown shoe polish on and then wipe it off fast so it gets into the low spots, before you use any type of oil or varnish.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rhys ap Ieuan

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

Hmm, I have a soldering iron with a thermostat. It sounds like I need some new tips & a bit of experimentation.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

you can file the tip of the soldering iron to a knife point and with the thermostat you can vary the temp and color of the burn but it is not expensive to get a burning pen that can be used with the reastat or thermostat as you call it, that has several screww in heads, giving you all kinds of options.

Just remember that though it burns material quickly on high, the best burning is done at lower temps when the burn is kind of honey brown. more control and detail that way.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Final pics before it gets mailed out. I used a bit of brown shoe polish to give it an older look and give a furnature type hard polish and the muzzle was carved down slightly so Mr. Ed would not be mistaken for Peter 'Potimous (I know I am dating myself, but who could resist the "Hippo Hurricane Holler"?)

Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

That looks so great, Ringulf! You did a phenominal job on it! I can't wait to see it in person.

Going back to those blanks I cut for Rinigulf, they are out of 3/16 stainless steel plate and cut with a plasma cutter by hand. I would have liked to set up the track plasma and made a much smoother cut, but I was doing them at work and my boss stopped by, looked at them and then said, "Don't get caught!" and walked away. LOL. So I was in a bit of a hurry to get them cut before some other supervisor recognized that I was making weapons in a govt. facility.

Snicker. (If he only knew...)
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
Wolf
Wayfarer

Post by Wolf »

wow cool
Rhys ap Ieuan

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

Here are some photos of my completed CS re-hilting:
full_forest_side.jpg
full_forest_side.jpg (101.06 KiB) Viewed 15361 times
full_dragon_side.jpg
full_dragon_side.jpg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 15361 times
handle_dragon_side.jpg
handle_dragon_side.jpg (134.85 KiB) Viewed 15361 times
Once I get back from some upcoming travels, I'll be doing the scabbard.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice! I really like the way you did the blade and carving/burning on your handle!
Is that a leather band were the crossguard would be?
If so that will form a nice gasket in the top of the scabbard when the knife is sheathed!
Rhys ap Ieuan

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

Thanks! Leather would have been a really good idea - I wish I'd have thought of it. It's copper, mostly there to cover the Cold Steel and China stampings.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

That looks great love the copper. I need to get back to working on mine.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Um... NICE!!! You guys are getting good! I'm tempted to make the proposal that I forge the blades and some of you finish them!
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Eric C wrote:Um... NICE!!! You guys are getting good! I'm tempted to make the proposal that I forge the blades and some of you finish them!
Hmmm...That is rather amusing, I was gonna make the same proposal, in reverse!!