M.Pikula war sword and Iron Wolf Scabbard and belt

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

M.Pikula war sword and Iron Wolf Scabbard and belt

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I've completed a scabbard and belt with a two point suspension for my Micheal Pikula Nordic war sword. Which I have named Skrep.

Specs of the scabbard: Felt lined, poplar core completely hand carved and shaped, the blade channel had 1/8" of play between the swords edge and the scabbard wall prior to lining. that level of precision with only hand tools made me extremely proud of this peice. Once the core was finished I finished it with Laurel Mountain forge Permalyn. Over that, spiral wrapped linen canvas was glued to strengthen the scabbard further. Finally the risers were added and a calf skin wrap was stitched and moulded in place. Then the decorative frith bonds/peace ties were added.

The Tooling at the mouth is English Urnes style on the back side is the dual inscriptions "My name is Skrep" carved in both insular, an Anglo-Saxon adaptation of Irish script, and Anglo-Saxon Runes along with my initals (RDM) in Anglo-Saxon runes. The scabbard was dyed russet and finished with feibings tan cote and wax, then finished with a bronze chape.

The strap bridge is hand carved curly maple with a star and dual horse heads, secured with copper wire. I used Laurel mountain forge maple stain, the star was left unstained. The bridge was sanded to 1000 grit and finished with a combination of Tried and Trueoil Varnish and Laurel mountain Forge Permalyn.

To Show respect for my Cherokee ancestors I added a young turkey feather and Horse hair "scalp lock" secured by hand cut deer skin lace.

Belt specs: 2.5" wide loosely based on Roman influenced belts of the early migration period,with simple decorative grooved borders. The round buckle is solid brass, secured by a 1 1/4" strap stitched and riveted to the belt and then interlaced back through itself. the strap is 1 1/4" also stitched and riveted to the belt. The strap was cut long for a generous drape.

The first suspension point is burgundy latigo cross strapped and interlaced through slots in the belt, the second suspension strap is tooled/carved with a Norse Floral pattern and a star flanked by two horseheads. The straps interlaces through itself at the belt and around the scabbard. The belt is dyed with laurel Mountain forge 'Honey Maple' wood stain, and finished with tan cote and wax.

As work is starting to slow down I would be grateful to anyone wanting a handmade scabbard and belt to keep me in mind. My rigs carry well, are historically constructed, strong, well finished and with care will last for generations.

Pics forthcoming later today as my camera needs recharging
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: M.Pikula war sword and Iron Wolf Scabbard and b

Post by Peter Remling »

Normally I scroll down to the pics, then go back up and read the text. Knowing RD's work I decided to read the text first. My anticipation mounting with every new detail, then

"Pics forthcoming later today as my camera needs recharging"

RD you are such a tease ! :D
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Here are the pics...
Attachments
LeatherWoodClose.jpg
LeatherWoodClose.jpg (89.59 KiB) Viewed 16165 times
WholeScabbard.jpg
WholeScabbard.jpg (122.94 KiB) Viewed 16165 times
Scabbard 013.jpg
Scabbard 013.jpg (225.19 KiB) Viewed 16165 times
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Awesome job !

Well worth the wait.

That is one big viking sword.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Amazing work R.D. it came out beautifully.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

More Pics, and more coming...
Attachments
Scabbard 031.jpg
Scabbard 031.jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 16163 times
Scabbard 032.jpg
Scabbard 032.jpg (111.18 KiB) Viewed 16163 times
Scabbard 033.jpg
Scabbard 033.jpg (145 KiB) Viewed 16163 times

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

*wife really misses DSL* One more to come...
Attachments
Scabbard 027.jpg
Scabbard 027.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 16162 times
Scabbard 028.jpg
Scabbard 028.jpg (115.42 KiB) Viewed 16162 times
Scabbard 029.jpg
Scabbard 029.jpg (93.71 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Well this is it...The pics were taken in front of my shop I only wish more of the figure in the maple strap bridge
had been visible as this is really a pretty piece of wood. This sword and subsequently the scabbard means a great deal to
me. During the work I could feel my ancestors all around me and that really set the theme of the piece. The tooling
you dont see is the inscriptions mentioned earlier and one inscription hidden on the back of the strap at the second suspension point that reads
"may the circle be unbroken" ....I wanted the piece to tell a story and it does if you now where to look and how to read it....Even the swords name
is symbolic....So there it is I hope y'all like it, I'm satisfied with it.

Thank you kindly for the compliments,

RDM
Attachments
Scabbard 026.jpg
Scabbard 026.jpg (114.58 KiB) Viewed 16160 times

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Beautiful work and Hell of a weapon!! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

"Hell of a weapon!!"....Thank you ,sir. Micheal is one hell of a smith.

Some sword specs from the earlier thread

Blade: 36" L X 2 3/4" @ the base. Forged from L-6

Grip: 9.5" Leather over wood with spiral risers, dyed brown

Fittings: Type AE

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

R.D., the detail is just outstanding!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Outstanding work, R.D. , just gorgeous! You are truly a man out of his time. Will that be an heirloom weapon and scabbard, or will it be accompanying you to the next world? :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Many thanks to you gentlemen.

Ken, thats a heavy question, the dooms of fate are beyond my control.

Thanks again to both of you :)

~RD

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

That is truly extraordinary. Amazing workmanship throughout.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

great work as always
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"