Long treks

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Long treks

Post by E.MacKermak »

Once, many moons ago, I used to go on 50 mile hikes each year with the Boy Scouts. Fifty miles in five days is not a bad pace and the routes were changed each year so we didn't keep going to the same place.

I see a lot of folks here doing overnights and weekend trips, but has anyone considered something like a long, multi-day trek where you actually get up each morning, pack your kit, walk all day and then set up camp again each night? I need to do a couple of shake out trips, but I have been thinking that once I get my kit a little more together, I will have to try a long trek of this type. Anyone else?
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Long treks

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I try to get several long rides in every year covering roughly 40 miles plus/minus, It does make a decent packer out of you and it gives the horses alot of experience with bears and elk. I go primitive because most of the time the horsecamps are already full and few simple precautions will keep a rattler out of your bedroll.

When I'm alone I pack skinny, rationed oatmeal, dried fruit and nuts, my camp cup/ stew pot/tea mug :) . My blanket roll and a change of clothes, rain coat, belt knife and belt axe. My trail tea of choice is birch with chicory coming in at a close second when I can find it.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I honestly don't have time to do hiking, apart from during the holidays, when me and my dad do longer walks. A recent one was a 4 day hike on the Jurassic Coast near Poole, England. Haven't tried any long term period hikes yet though.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I hike every day now...2 miles up the mountain, two down. Soon to be 2.5 both ways. All this is in preparation for week long..and even longer when possible...hikes along various trails..both in modern and Ranger kit.

When I was younger long camping hikes were the norm for me. I'm making a return such as I may. Healthiest workouts ever.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Eledhwen, that was pretty much my thoughts. I used to do a lot of hike in camping and was in a lot better shape because of it. The Army makes sure I am not in really bad shape, but I still miss the old hikes. Kiriana and I are looking at walking parts of the Palmetto Trail and working our way up to the Swamp Fox pass, 42 miles through the SC lowlands. I want to get back on the AT at some point too.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The Palmetto Trail huh?

That sounds really cool and not too far away for me either!

I was thinking about doing an outing around the Santee area, does the trail go anywhere through or by that?
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

http://www.sctrails.net/trails/alltrail ... trail.html

Santee passage is in there. 11 miles, but no camping on the trail...only in Santee State Park.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Erich, I've got ambition to do a number of these. I still plan to, someday, hike at least a portion of the John Muir trail in kit...definitely including the ascent of mount Whitney, at the least.

On Topic: You've been PM'ed.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.