Official Vikings Season 2 Thread

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Official Vikings Season 2 Thread

Post by Cinead »

OK I'll begin!

LOVE this show...well done, with a great story...and let's face it....Lagertha is a heck of a piece of Warrior Woman eye candy!

Am I the only one that kinda found the opening battle scene as a Dark Ages example of shirts vs. skins?
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Official Vikings Season 2 Thread

Post by Peter Remling »

Cinead wrote:OK I'll begin!

LOVE this show...well done, with a great story...and let's face it....Lagertha is a heck of a piece of Warrior Woman eye candy!

Am I the only one that kinda found the opening battle scene as a Dark Ages example of shirts vs. skins?

Yes ! I kept wondering why one side had all the armor (pretty much). I also thought they were going to kill off Floggi (sp?). Glad they didn't, he's my favorite character. The three principal females are all striking in their own ways. Waiting to see what happens to Rollo long term.

T
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Peter Remling wrote:
Cinead wrote:OK I'll begin!

Yes ! I kept wondering why one side had all the armor (pretty much). I also thought they were going to kill off Floggi (sp?). Glad they didn't, he's my favorite character. The three principal females are all striking in their own ways. Waiting to see what happens to Rollo long term.

T
I really like Floki, too. The tease of killing him off was disconcerting. I've enjoyed Katherine Winnick's, ahem, pulchritude since she played Ivana Trump in that wretched biopic about that wretched Donald Trump. Glad to see she's found a vehicle that allows her to show off her martial arts background.

I am disappointed that last season, they killed off both Ragnar and Lagertha's daughter as well as Siggi's daughter. I think it's really easy to turn the show into hack and slash, and I would have liked to seen more of how young women, especially those born to powerful families, learned to exercise power from a woman's perspective.

I also have to say that I haven't missed Athelstan over the last couple of episodes. I think it was a clever way of helping to intoduce the modern audience to the Viking world by having a captive Christian monk brought in as a slave.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I like that the have more than just the one shield maiden; during the fighting against Aelles' lot there were at least two other women. Nice to see, especially since it is thought that up to a third of the Viking warrior burials in Britain are in fact women according to DNA testing.

I am Team Lagertha all the way, no surprise.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

i love the show and so does the wife :) :) Lagertha is my wife's favorite on the show and I really like Floki. Does anyone else think he would make a good Joker or Riddler?
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Willrett wrote:i love the show and so does the wife :) :) Lagertha is my wife's favorite on the show and I really like Floki. Does anyone else think he would make a good Joker or Riddler?
I've had "Joker/Riddler" in the back of my mind with Floki from the first scene he was in.
Hávamál
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Eledhwen wrote:I like that the have more than just the one shield maiden; during the fighting against Aelles' lot there were at least two other women. Nice to see, especially since it is thought that up to a third of the Viking warrior burials in Britain are in fact women according to DNA testing.

I am Team Lagertha all the way, no surprise.

Eledhwen
When Ragnar gets sick of the Princess (in about 15 minutes), it will be interesting to see what hoops Lagertha's going to make him jump through to take him back.
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

When Ragnar gets sick of the Princess (in about 15 minutes), it will be interesting to see what hoops Lagertha's going to make him jump through to take him back.
Yeah there may be some hoops, but if they do hold to anything like the historical plot line, The only hoop Ragnar will jump through for her is the one that enters his howe. :twisted:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Ragnar had three wives historically. It may well be Lagertha does not take him back...I'd be happy if she didn't too. Unsurprisingly. I suspect the more likely route if they are at all historical will be another woman replacing the current obsession. He fathered a lot of children.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

4 years later!

I'm glad to see from the 'scenes from next week's episode' that they will still follow Lagertha's story.

By the way, has anyone else ever seen the 1960s "Vikings," based very roughly on the same characters of Ragnar and Aella? The three main Vikings were played by the Norse trio of Issur Danielovitch, Bernie Schwartz and Ermes Borgnino. (Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis and Earnest Borgnine. Hey, at least the Earnest's name has "Borg" in it.)

It's got a great soundtrack, some really beautiful sets, and... well... some nice costumes, except for Tony Curtis, who is dressed kind of like "Robin" from "Batman."
Hávamál
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have that movie and the other one with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier (I think it was him).

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

'The Longships' is the name of that move, Siani :) and we have it somewhere. You'd be surprised what's in the 5 dollar bin at Wallyworld nowadays. That haunting theme from 'The Vikings' is one of my favorite soundtracks.

Vikings Season 2 is off to a great start! We just got to see episode 2 today and I can't believe that Aslaug is jealous, and now claims to be a seeress, to boot. Ugh. Ragnar seems obsessed with fame as well and I can't wait to see what Wessex has in store for him. Loved the anglo-saxon (if that is the right term) language too.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I grew up watching the old Vikings as well as the Errol Flynn Robinhood and pirate movies I also enjoyed all the variations of the Three musketeer movies.
The Longships was not quite as popular but came out to capitalise on the popularity of the Vikings a year or so later, It did not do so well, but it is an interesting story, or I should say a small part of a larger work. The Long Ships, by Frans G. Bengtsson is a great read and encompasses quite a few of the same characters in the same time period. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Mirimaran wrote:'The Longships' is the name of that move, Siani :) and we have it somewhere. You'd be surprised what's in the 5 dollar bin at Wallyworld nowadays. That haunting theme from 'The Vikings' is one of my favorite soundtracks.

Vikings Season 2 is off to a great start! We just got to see episode 2 today and I can't believe that Aslaug is jealous, and now claims to be a seeress, to boot. Ugh. Ragnar seems obsessed with fame as well and I can't wait to see what Wessex has in store for him. Loved the anglo-saxon (if that is the right term) language too.

Ken
I grew up with it being called Anglo-Saxon, but I've noticed Old English being used more often. It's fun when you can understand it. Same with the Old Norse, although that's less often for me.
Hávamál
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Personally, I hope that Lagertha gets to be the one to take Auslag down a notch or five....I find her character irritating....I am definitely Team Lagertha!

It would be kind of awesome to see Lagertha head butt Auslag in the nose.....just sayin'.....
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.