ARROW HEADS

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

ARROW HEADS

Post by RikJohnson »

Where do you people find your Period arrowheads?

I bought a half dozen from a chinese company. I loved the design, but they no longer sell the heads seperatly.

Pakistan sells cheaply forged heads at an outrageous price for what you are getting.
England had really nice ones at an even higher price but worth it.. if I had that much to spend.

So are you all content to use target-points with your garb or do you use modern broadheads?

I'm thinking of: bodkins, broadheads, blunts mostly.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Re: ARROW HEADS

Post by Daerir »

I've never bought arrowheads myself, but my arrows came from this guy and Im almost positive that he sells arrow heads.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/handmadebow/m.h ... pg=&_from=
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

These are sort of cheating, but it's what is going on most of my just-shooter arrows -

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Short+Bod ... eitem.html
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Elleth wrote:These are sort of cheating, but it's what is going on most of my just-shooter arrows -

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Short+Bod ... eitem.html
I was going to suggest the Three Rivers Archery too. You might like to try these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Stevens-Stee ... 27e2783503

They are simply cut out of a sheet of steel but they do make great arrowheads to use on the trail.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Peter Remling wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Stevens-Stee ... 27e2783503

They are simply cut out of a sheet of steel but they do make great arrowheads to use on the trail.
Man, I have got to get around to typing up a tutorial for making trade points out of banding steel one of these days. I crank 'em out in batches of ten or twenty. They're incredibly simple and fun to make!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ace made some really nice "target bodkin" heads for a while, which were mostly being sold under the name "Ace Classic Points." These were a great best-of-both-worlds option, because they looked reasonably period appropriate in shape, but were machined with a round cross-section instead of square or triangular, so they would be safe and minimally destructive for target shooting.

I've got a few on an older set of arrows, but it seems they are either no longer making them, or have somehow fallen off the face of the earth altogether as a company. At least, when I talked to the guys at Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear (the only local primitive archery shop around here), they said they've been trying to get in touch with Ace for literally over a year, and have had no luck. Still, if you can find "Ace Classic Points" available, I HIGHLY recommend them.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Three Rivers still carries them http://www.3riversarchery.com/Ace+Class ... eitem.html

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks Brian! They're a little pricey for field tips, but a lot less expensive than forged bodkins, so they're a good alternative, I think.
A couple words of caution though:
- First off, these things are SHARP! Or I guess I should say "pointy." When you first start using them, be careful, because the tip can literally draw blood.
- Secondly, the lip at the end of the collar can make pulling these from a target a big difficult. May sure they are glued on REALLY REALLY WELL, because otherwise you will probably lose a few inside targets.
- Lastly, Not all ranges will actually allow you to use them, because despite being minimally damaging to targets (I have found that the shape of them actually ends up making smaller holes than regular field points), some people will just look at them and go, "nope, that's not a normal field point, therefore it MUST be bad for targets, and we won't let you use them."

That all being said, I still recommend them highly. I think they're a great option for someone who wants a period-looking point with which they can still shoot modern targets.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Another quick note: the first two customer pictures on that page are NOT the Ace Classic Points, but rather a square cross-section period bodkin point.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Here in the UK, Hector Cole makes some proper badass heads.

I've only ever got second-hand haha but I guess you get what you pay for because they are super expensive.

Richard Head Longbows also supply some nice stuff, where I get most of my heads from. They used to do some swallowtail ones for a few quid which were awesome.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Jon wrote:Here in the UK, Hector Cole makes some proper badass heads.

I've only ever got second-hand haha but I guess you get what you pay for because they are super expensive.

Richard Head Longbows also supply some nice stuff, where I get most of my heads from. They used to do some swallowtail ones for a few quid which were awesome.

Wait wait wait.... Richard Head Longbows? Richard Head... Interesting :lol:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice