Alvin's War Hawk

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Alvin
Wanderer

Alvin's War Hawk

Post by Alvin »

I have owned a Cold Steel Spike Hawk for quite a while. It was mainly for use against any Orcs that I might encounter while on patrol outside the borders of the Shire. I appreciated it’s cutting ability and, with the pretty darn sharp pointed 3 inch + spike, the option of penetrating thick Orc skulls and any light armor they might be wearing was quite feasible.

One day while viewing other offerings by Cold Steel, I spotted their War Hammer. I got to thinking that, if my spike tomahawk had the 30 inch haft of the War Hammer, it could generate much more momentum, and thusly strike a much more powerful blow.

I purchased a CS war hammer haft on eBay and found that the Spike tomahawk head fitted just right. I made the following mods to the tomahawk head and War Hammer haft

Spike Head

First I removed the fugly black paint; lightly buffed it with my trusty Dremel tool; and applied several coats of Birchwood Casey cold blue. The result was a nice dark color – almost as black as the paint was. Another nice result was that the fuglier “Taiwan” stamp is now almost invisible to the eye - to mine anyways. I could do nothing with the stupid hole that Cold Steel, for some weird reason, drilled into one side of the head, so they could put a screw through it. Finally, I smoothed out the burrs on the inside of the "eye"of the head.

Haft

It only took a little work with sandpaper to fit the Spike head nice and tight to the War Hammer’s haft. The head now fits very tight and will be difficult to loosen. And if it does loosen in battle, all that is necessary to re-fit it is to knock it against a hard object like a boulder or Orc head.

I lightly sanded the haft, then stained it with brown liquid shoe polish. That was followed with a couple coats of tung oil, then beeswax. The stain did not come out well. I ain’t the craftsman that I used to be – so I figure, to hell with it, the thing works real well for use by a Ranger.

Specifications:

Overall Length: 30 inches
Overall Weight: 1 lb. 15 oz.
POB: 8 inches down from the head end of haft
Head Length: 9 in.
Weight of Head: 1 lb.
Cutting Edge: 3 1/8 in.
Spike Length: 3 1/2 in.

Steel: Drop Forged 1055 Carbon
Handle: American Hickory

Head is differentially heat treated. After removing the paint I could see a temper line a little more than ½ inch back along the sharp edge .

Image Image

Image Image

Now, what to name it?

With that edge, it is capable of causing a fatal, crushing stroke. And that spike is like a serpent’s sting. Together, it makes for quite a thunder stroke from an Orc’s point of view. So that’s it’s name …. THUNDER STROKE ….. or in Old English ....SLEGE

Strong Masculine Noun

1. a stroke blow 2. of a serpent’s sting 3. a striking beating scourging 4. a crash clap of thunder 5. a fatal stroke slaying slaughter murder death (by violence) 6. a destruction defeat loss inflicted on an army 7. an instrument for striking

Courtesy of ….. oldenglishtranslator.co.uk

Bring on them darned Orcs and other foul creatures of Mordor !!!!

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Alvin's War Hawk

Post by wulfgar »

Very nice! Now I want one of those too. My Cold Steel pipe hawk has that same tempering discoloration in the metal, in the exact same spot as yours. I have heard of people putting the set screw back about half way, and then filing it flush with the surrounding metal.
You can't take the sky from me.
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

Thank you wulfgar. I have also heard of filling in the hole with JB Weld. In the photo below, the craftsman used a file to change the shape of the round hole into a star shape. He stated that he then filled it in with "a liquid steel type epoxy". He did not specify which epoxy, but I think that it looks very good.

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Exellent job Alvin and the finnish looks rough and ready so the orcs won't have to feel obligated to dress up to get hit by it! I have used the warhammer haft for one of my bearded axes and just love it but I had hoped to apply it to the spike hawk eventually.
BTW that spike hawk is actually a very fair representation of the Tzikourian that the Byzantine Psilos carried as a side arm. As light archers they needed something both deadly and practical (and a lot less expensive than a sword)Use it in BAD health (for the orcs that is! :wink: )
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

Thank you Ringulf !! At one time, when I was a master craftsman, I would have insisted on better work. Just not among me capabilities now. But yeah, who cares what an Orc thinks of the beauty of Alvin's Slege as it comes down on his noggin? As long as his lights go out. :D

I'll bet that war hammer haft works fine with your bearded axe mod.

You got me interested in the Byzantine tzikourian. I did some online searching and, while I found it mentioned, I could not find an image. Did find an image of a 7th - 8th century Byzantine Clibanarius in my library - ain't I intellectual since I have a library? Among his many weapons, he has a spiked axe tucked into his belt. Is this the tzikourian, or a similar axe?

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have a picture of the Psilos from the Byzantine armies book by Osprey Press I will put it up here.

This tenth century Psilos in blue is carrying his bow and quiver of arrows (of which he normally carried 2) They were also given a sling and or javalins so when they ran out of arrows they could still fight. Most had the tzikourians but some were issued short swords, and though this one is dressed lightly there is information on arming that says they were at times given leather or steel lamelar or mail and a helm.(though this would be costly)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Stormraven »

Very neat axe. Very well on the adaptation.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

Thank you Stormraven !!

Ringulf .... that Psilos axe certainly does closely resemble ole Slege.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Nice looking piece.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

Many thanks Rifter.