Getting to a more functional kit.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Getting to a more functional kit.

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I wanted to try my garb out in in inclement weather the last cold snap gave me ample oppertunity to do just that, my cloak and tunic were both warm, but one problem... the hood of my cloak had to come off...it would catch wind and blow right off my head...so in my typical fashion I cut it off to use that wool elsewhere. I will also be shortening my tunic. and use the scraps for trim elsewhere.

I had an idea based on a a colonial hunting shirt and a Rus kaftan that I'm going to have made. I was thinking Of a caped med/heavy linen knee length jacket/shirt, the long cape would held together with leather thongs the jacket would also have a folding drawstring hood lined with wool, that functioned as a collar in good weather, the jacket could be oil treated and feature some nice Nordic trim and possibly knot work buttons. The sleeves would be knuckle long and gathered like a colonial shirt plenty of room for layering and not constrictive, either tied or buttoned at the wrist. This along with a wool tunic and surcote/weskit would be ideal for me...adding my cloak for a more "period" look.

What do you guys think? by doing this am I blowing the whole point? You certainly dont see any kit like this in the films.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Getting to a more functional kit.

Post by Mirimaran »

I agree with Gareth 100%. I doubt our ancestors were hampered with fashion as much as we are and would have chosen practicality above all else. While doing my shoots last week, I had the same problem with my hood. I suspect the problem is in the basic design of the hooded cloak. A detached hood would be more form-fitting to the head and would stay in position and offer more protection and warmth for the neck. I do like my hooded cloak's hood as it is deep and when the wind isn't blowing at 100 mph it offers good protection from the cold and can hide the face. I am sure that if a hood was in fashion, we'd find ways to get around the wind issue.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

I am a believer in NOT carrying ANYTHING that does not have a purpose....everything I carry is 100% functional.....I base what I carry on that wime of year it is as well....
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I'm not too stuck on the fashion issue, personally I would have went this direction anyway, but what I was guaging was at what point we leave middle earth ...as it were :lol: ...I love saying that.

Thanks to all for the replies. 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I've always slightly weighted the edge of my hoods; I've never really had a problem with them blowing back. I've also used capotes with hoods, and even a sleeved cloak.

I kind of like the cloaks as I can use it as an extra blanket.

However, I don't think a cloak is a necessary part of anyone's kit. As Gareth said, it's your kit, your impression, do what works for you.

Siani
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I cant say as had much luck with a hood of any kind, maybe I'll knit me a cute little bonnet one day or just go bareheaded to challenge scalp hunters :lol:

I do like my cloak however and will keep it, today I took the hood which was huge and slit it up the seam and sewed it into the shoulders of my cloak. we get some nice little breezes in these parts and every layer helps, long about january theres no such thing as being warm just more bearably cold especially up on the baldies :lol:

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

You could always add a 6-panel hat to cover the head without using a hood.

http://historicenterprises.biz/hat-viki ... ath=99_190

http://historicenterprises.biz/hat-viki ... ath=99_190

Keeps the head warm without worries about it being blown off.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

After the new year I plan on buying about 1 item a month. I want to start with clothing items first so this will be very helpful.

Siani, how do you weigh down your hoods? It might come in handy.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Two methods I use myself; one is a cord stitched into the hem of the hood. Not a tightening cord, just a piece of cord to make the edge a bit more durable and heavier.

The other is lining. All but one of mine are lined and the Winter ones especially are two layers of heavy wool with deep hoods. Well, all of my hoods are pretty deep since I like them that way. In deep cold the hood allows body warmth to surround the face so breathing is easier and the air is warmer even if only a bit.

Another way I haven't used would be to use some of those vinyl covered weights made for sewing and stitch them in at intervals. Not sure how well they would work to be honest.

I find using a bit of stiff cord in conjunction with a deep hood works fine so far.

Siani
Nandalad!
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

If you want to wear a cloak with a hood......learn to wear a matchcoat.....

In essence it is a smaller wool blanket.....worn and draped in such a way to give a coat/claok with a hood....the nice thing is that it can be opened and closed and draped to regulate body temp......and in the end you have an extra blanket!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Steve M
Wayfarer

Post by Steve M »

E.MacKermak wrote:You could always add a 6-panel hat to cover the head without using a hood.
Thank you for posting the links, I've been looking for something like these.
~PER ARDUA~
Rhiavas Thavronion
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

"I had an idea based on a a colonial hunting shirt and a Rus kaftan that I'm going to have made. I was thinking Of a caped med/heavy linen knee length jacket/shirt, the long cape would held together with leather thongs the jacket would also have a folding drawstring hood lined with wool, that functioned as a collar in good weather, the jacket could be oil treated and feature some nice Nordic trim and possibly knot work buttons. The sleeves would be knuckle long and gathered like a colonial shirt plenty of room for layering and not constrictive, either tied or buttoned at the wrist. This along with a wool tunic and surcote/weskit would be ideal for me..."

I have contacted Andrea Wakely of Twin Roses designs and she is going to do a sketch based on this description, If she will allow it I will post a pic of the sketch and certainly the finished product.

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate you guys letting me bounce ideas around and giving good advice 8)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~