Graduation = knives

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Graduation = knives

Post by hesinraca »

Hey. I know this is a tad... silly. But I am excited. I just finished my last final of my university time, so I am now free to persue meaningful endevours (sarcastic pun intended).

First of which is, in about 4 hours, I'll be starting a bladesmithing apprenticeship that will be for 5 days, and then continue on and off with a week at a time for the next few years whenever I can make time. SO. Bladesmithing. Yay.

K. Done. :)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Hi Cedric:

I personally havn't had the opportunity to make my own knife but two of my brothers have. Jeff my youngest brother, traded some smith training (from an ABS trained knifemaker )for a large anvil he found in an antique store and forged his own knife. He later used some of his training to forge some peices while studying in Mystic Seaport and later when he worked for a Historic Farm recreation in Penn.

My brother Mike took and hardened machine handle and ground it into a saex. He then engraved runes that said "Wolfgar made me" . Wolfgar was his SCA persona.

We will all need to see pics of your progress.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Finished the knife. Will add photos soon, its AMAZING what I managed to do in 3 days, but once I get used to it, my teacher said he can do one in about 10 hours, and that he sells knives on this quality for about 300$... so.. awesomeness.. Will post soon.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Hey everyone. Just got back from a backpacking hike with my dad, happens every year with his four friends and their horde of children. Kinda crazy.

Anyways, finished that knife I mentioned friday but didnt get a chance to photograph. So here you go!

-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice. A serviceable design also. Now what are you going to make the sheath from ?
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

I will probably have to make this one's sheeth on my own, thus it will be 12-13 oz weight cowhide, which I believe is tooling leather, cause that's what I have. The man that is teaching me said he will instruct me how to make his stly eof sheeth later as well, so that will be fun. Not sure yet though, haven't had a chance to plan a sheeth, right now it fits almost perfectly into my dad's boyscout sheeth, so he keeps it there.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Hmmm, ok, posting again, didn't work last time I guess..

Second knife.

zebra/tiger wood and damascus steel, 68 layers. pretty.

-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very Nice ! This is very remenisent of medieval belt knives and this same design was used by trappers and hunters of the 19th century.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Yeah, we decided a kitchen knife would be a good gift for my mother, so I started with a veggie knife and pushed the style more to where I wanted it. Narrower, longer. I tried to draw the point out more but it ended up dropping in a bit, which is ok. I like it, very nice knife. It's very light too.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com