"What Brings You Here" Open Discussion

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

"What Brings You Here" Open Discussion

Post by Greg »

Greetings, friends!

A short time ago, I logged on to the new Discord server to see what that was all about, and there was a section titled "Introductions" or some such. I decided to write up a quick blurb from a first-person perspective in a manner befitting a Ranger talking to a stranger. I felt like "I'm so-and-so and I'm a Dunedain Ranger in the 3rd Age" just didn't make sense in a real conversation...how are these people supposed to be secretive if they walk around telling everyone their real names, true lineage, and purpose (not to mention 'when' in Middle-earth it is)? Suits us fine for discussion, but wasn't right for a first-person interaction.

So I wrote a quick blurb as though I was meeting someone on the road, using my given Bree-name and talking more about what I 'do' than about who I 'am'. When all was said and done and I hit the submit button, I read over it again and liked it so much I figured 'what the heck' and I brought it over to the forum. That introduction turned into the first post in the 'What Brings You Here' storyline which I've become quite fond of over the few weeks as the tale grew in the telling.

As many of you probably have seen and know, what unfolded has become nothing short of a dramatic expansion of what I'm affectionately dubbing "Forum-canon". This category includes various fanfic elements, notably the writings of Daffodil Underhill, and now even more interestingly, a number of items from past Yule Gift exchanges. The number of Easter eggs [both Token-accurate to the timeline and those accurate only to our community] hiding in the story quickly became staggering, and I read with joy each new installment as it rolled out. I don't want to spoil any surprises by simply writing what my intent was for each thing I hid in my own posts starting out, but feel free to comment on things you noticed or have questions about. Hope you enjoyed reading along as much as we enjoyed 'living' it! We'll have to do something like this again in another context sometime.

Cheers!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: "What Brings You Here" Open Discussion

Post by Tom_Ranger »

We live in interesting times so for my and my kin folk's safety, I have many names and Tom Ranger is how I will introduce myself should our paths cross.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I want to thank you Greg for starting that thread. Like I said in the PMs, I've not ever joined a role-play thread before and I have to admit that I was a little nervous to start writing again. I needn't have feared though. Everyone set things up so naturally that it was a breeze to continue the story on my end. I had an absolutely wonderful time.

Thank you also to Eofor for being the first to invite me to join in as well. I swear I read each update but the fact that Cimrandir was mentioned must have completely slipped my mind. I felt bad that it took me so long (and having to have Greg prompt me) to join!

Like Greg said, I don't want to explain all the little easter eggs that I wove into the story as I'm afraid I'm not very subtle as a writer so I'm sure they stand out quite clearly. If folks are curious though, I'd love to explain!

I have only one question at this current moment but I'm sure I'll think of more later.

To Eofor - I'm curious about "Seolforbrocc." Brocc is badger obviously and Seolfor = silver? Silver Badger I assume? That is so cool! I thank you for yet another name.

Thank you again everyone! I had a blast and I would love to do something like this again!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I don't know if I caught every easter egg, but quite a few raised a grin. Coincidentally, I'd just re-read the departure from Bree sequence, so it was extra fun!

You guys did great! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

One of my favorite shifts started pretty early on...I had in my head that the bruise on Bill Ferny's head that I mentioned was made by Sam's thrown apple and that we were hot on the Early Fellowship's heels in Bree, but when Ursus popped in and claimed rights to the bruise it gave us the chance to jump ahead a few months in timeline and hop on the Grey Company storyline instead, which turned out to be much more interesting (and relevant!)
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Ah, I didn’t think that one through! I think I stated it was September still when I entered. Didn’t consider the implications of that bit. Very cool though and I did like seeing the “gathering of the Rangers.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

The number of Yule gifts that wound up coming up and developing storylines definitely made me a happy camper...and now the rust on my old Bristol has a far better story than "Didn't know my old truck had a leak in the weatherstripping", but the habit of name-giving that's so prevalent in all of the Professor's works coming to the fore probably gave me the most pleasure in reading and participating.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

It was all brilliant!
Frodo lives!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I did notice and love that Cimrandir got a set of three dyed arrows. Brilliant idea there, Greg. Sadly, mine are still waiting for me to stop being so wishy-washy on choosing a proper bow. Perhaps this spring I can decide on a direction and get out to use them.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Am at an event and a wee bit busy but will pop in shortly with my piece.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:47 am As many of you probably have seen and know, what unfolded has become nothing short of a dramatic expansion of what I'm affectionately dubbing "Forum-canon". This category includes various fanfic elements, notably the writings of Daffodil Underhill, and now even more interestingly, a number of items from past Yule Gift exchanges. The number of Easter eggs [both Token-accurate to the timeline and those accurate only to our community] hiding in the story quickly became staggering, and I read with joy each new installment as it rolled out. I don't want to spoil any surprises by simply writing what my intent was for each thing I hid in my own posts starting out, but feel free to comment on things you noticed or have questions about. Hope you enjoyed reading along as much as we enjoyed 'living' it! We'll have to do something like this again in another context sometime.

Cheers!
I have to say it, that thread is awesome and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it (even tho I haven't yet had time to finish reading the later posts) :P the only reason I didn't put into it myself was that Iodo has realistically got no reason to be in Bree and doesn't belong in that timeline anyway, but I seriously admire the writing skills of everyone involved :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Here I am! Firstly thanks to those who have praised the thread and secondly to those who joined in.

I'll admit that when I replied to Greg I had no idea where it would go, I actually thought I would continue down the road and let someone else come in but it just took on a life of it's own.
I found myself trolling through the forums making sure I wasn't stepping outside of timelines and reread many of the old stories others had written before. I had to refer to calendars and my copy of the Lord of the rings for dates etc. which was great, I always love a chance to revisit Middle Earth.

I was particularly happy to have re read the section on Bree, I think in my head it had become the PJ version due to the movies but re-reading the description I realised it was nothing like he depicted it which is what inspired my dodgy artwork.

I try and give everyone on the forums a name in Old English or Old Mercian. It's not always easy and sometimes I they need to develop in my mind before I can come up with one but lorengollon is a name Cimrandir took upon himself in his new persona pitch, Seolforbrocc is as you guessed - Silver Badger in homage to your desire to incorporate badgers into your gear (Xmas gift exchange post) For Ursus - Langsceanca or Longshanks seemed fitting.

The thread gave me ideas and plans moving forward, for one I now know how the saga of Eofor ends (I had to keep reminding myself that he is 80 or so at the time of writing) and I have a few Yule gift ideas that may be sprout form the seeds sewn here.

This forum is the best :mrgreen:
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg

Post by Greg »

The research was one of my favorite parts as well! It was fun to be looking for event cues and dates instead of just clothing and articles for once.

Naming has always been a very interesting part of the books to me...particularly in the Hobbit, to the point where titles based on deeds or character seem so prevalent that even a Dragon and a Halfling can have a conversation about them. I thoroughly enjoyed coming up with something suitable for your raiment, and am thrilled you seem pleased with it.

And of course, the forum-research can't be overstated...I loved getting another reason to go do some reading through Mirimaran's Daffodil Underhill stories, and referenced them more than once. I quoted him as saying "out in the wilds a ragged man may be a king", and then later on my "contact" where I could potentially sleep in a ditch behind a hole if not for someone getting in trouble..."something about a black eye"...was a reference to Daffodil's family home and her shenanigans in the Undoing of Daffodil Underhill.