Silent watcher over peaceful lands… (pic heavy)

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Silent watcher over peaceful lands… (pic heavy)

Post by Eofor »

The hill was well situated, overlooking the valley leading into the distance. Certainly the old people must have thought so as they had built one of their strange monuments on it’s top.

When Aranath had led him to this place Eofor had instinctively shrunk backwards, he wasn’t a man given to irrational fears but the first glance of the standing stones in the evening twilight had reminded him of the Púkel-men of his homeland which had terrified him as a child.
That had been three days ago and now he felt nothing from the stones but the warmth of the sun they absorbed during the day. The nights here were bitter cold but for now the stone at his back and the last hours of daylight kept the chill at bay.

He had been asked by the Dunedain to help with some simple guard duty and he was happy to do so for they were a right people who had always treated him with honour.

‘Watch south’ Aranath had told him ‘there have been pale lights on the downs of late, and evil things are stirring. You may deal with any mundane threat but you must swear an oath not to stand if the evil comes forth but to retreat to Bree and sound the alarm’

Eofor had hated taking that oath, though Aranath had probably been right to demand it, and when pressed on the nature of what he was guarding against the rangers shudder convinced him it would be folly to stand his ground.
Besides he thought brightening somewhat, if he was to sound the alarm at Bree then that meant the Dunedain would be coming to fight and that would be a rare thing indeed.

And so, contented he stood his lonely vigil, warmed by the rocks and the sun, willing to be, what had Aranath called him? Ahhh yes that was it. A silent watcher over peaceful lands…

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Silent watcher over peaceful lands… (pic heavy)

Post by Elleth »

EEEEEEEE a camp INSIDE the stones!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

... very nicely done. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OHHHH I LOVE THIS. What a fantastic little story. Really paints a picture of the atmosphere surrounding the Barrow Downs and that whole region, and the potential attitude of the Dúnedain towards it.
Beautiful pictures as well! Where, pray tell, did you find such lovely standing stones in your neck of the woods?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow awesome!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Elleth wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:30 pm EEEEEEEE a camp INSIDE the stones!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

... very nicely done. :mrgreen:
lol thanks Elleth, the owner of the property was very accommodating and once she realised just how we camp was happy for us to set up in the circle.
Manveruon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:16 pm OHHHH I LOVE THIS. What a fantastic little story. Really paints a picture of the atmosphere surrounding the Barrow Downs and that whole region, and the potential attitude of the Dúnedain towards it.
Beautiful pictures as well! Where, pray tell, did you find such lovely standing stones in your neck of the woods?
I often see little stories in photos, I don't have the skills to take those stories long but I think it adds a lot. Suddenly you can place the location and the mood of the subject, it goes from a picture to a tale.
The circle is on private property near our capital. The owners had plant equipment and would clear rocks from neighboring properties and so they built a replica stonehenge. The stones are smaller but they are all in the correct place right down to the heel stone.
Taylor Steiner wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:48 pm Wow awesome!
Thanks Taylor, not sure we can camp in a normal place anymore :mrgreen:
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Eofor wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:25 am
I often see little stories in photos, I don't have the skills to take those stories long but I think it adds a lot. Suddenly you can place the location and the mood of the subject, it goes from a picture to a tale.
The circle is on private property near our capital. The owners had plant equipment and would clear rocks from neighboring properties and so they built a replica stonehenge. The stones are smaller but they are all in the correct place right down to the heel stone.
Wow! How cool is that! I certainly would have been tempted to do the same in their position! The attention to the details of their placement is especially impressive! What a great place to be able to visit and shoot!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Lovely setting, beautiful photos...great post! Thanks for sharing!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

that story, and those photo's are so awesome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.