The Leaving of Liverpool in a tunnel on a 150 mile bike ride in the Japanese hinterland.

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

The Leaving of Liverpool in a tunnel on a 150 mile bike ride in the Japanese hinterland.

Post by SierraStrider »

Hey all. I'm living abroad at the moment and haven't been able to take my ranger kit with me, but I thought you all might appreciate some traditional music from a recent patrol around the Izu peninsula.

If you can't see the video, here's the link: https://youtu.be/isCzAubjnCU
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: The Leaving of Liverpool in a tunnel on a 150 mile bike ride in the Japanese hinterland.

Post by Elleth »

Oh that's just lovely!

... and I had no idea you had such a lovely singing voice! How wonderful. :mrgreen:

How is Japan in spring? It sounds like an extraordinary experience.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: The Leaving of Liverpool in a tunnel on a 150 mile bike ride in the Japanese hinterland.

Post by Eofor »

Simply wonderful.

But minus points for being goatless!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Oh and how do you find the Shaw? I'm guessing that you must like it to have taken in abroad with you?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

really awesome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Elleth wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:33 am How is Japan in spring? It sounds like an extraordinary experience.

It is! I went on an overnighter in the mountains that are within walking distance of my apartment a few weeks ago, and WOW. Camping in a cherry blossom grove 400 meters up a mountain and 800 meters from the sea is quite something.

Eofor wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:11 pm Oh and how do you find the Shaw? I'm guessing that you must like it to have taken in abroad with you?
I like it well enough, though if I'm honest its price point was the most attractive aspect of it when I bought it. It takes quite a bit of breath and the hole placement isn't trivial for someone with hands as dainty as mine.
I'd love to upgrade to a Carbony someday, but the Shaw will certainly train me at breath management until then. Traveling with it wasn't hard; the thing weighs only 4oz (120g) and both of my whistles fit in my fiddle case with the fiddle, so they take up literally zero space.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

SierraStrider wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:19 am It is! I went on an overnighter in the mountains that are within walking distance of my apartment a few weeks ago, and WOW. Camping in a cherry blossom grove 400 meters up a mountain and 800 meters from the sea is quite something.
yep, that really is something :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Wow. What an adventure you're on!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Enjoyed it very much. Have a safe adventure!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

SierraStrider wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:19 am It takes quite a bit of breath and the hole placement isn't trivial for someone with hands as dainty as mine.
Thats what I read when looking at them a while back. I ended up sticking with my little bone flute for walking.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Both videos are absolutely delightful. You have a marvelous singing voice. What an adventure of a lifetime. I've been laughing at all different discoveries in Japanese culture you've made. I think the different vending machines have been my favorite so far.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:28 am I think the different vending machines have been my favorite so far.
Steak, cake and tiny airplane seats! Why the heck not?