Rangers in Northen Wisconsin

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Rangers in Northen Wisconsin

Post by Arbellason »

Well it's about time I ask this but who else is up in northern part of Wisconsin It'd be nice to know if Rangering with someone besides my self is a possibility. :mrgreen:
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Odigan
Vendor

Re: Rangers in Northen Wisconsin

Post by Odigan »

I'm on the opposite end of the state, but with as few of us as there are like to be here thought I'd sound off. I have in mind to host a moot in the state this year or next where we could all meet up, so if you've suggestions for reasonably centralized locations, fire away.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I'm in Indianapolis now, but upper Michigan are my old stomping grounds. I'd love to do a moot in Michigan's Upper Peninsula- so much forest, so few people!
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Have swords, will travel.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Well, ideally, the site in consideration would be within reasonable reach of the Indiana contingent. Southern WI would then be about equi-distant (~6 hours) from its northern reaches or the Indianapolis region. Governor Dodge State Park has been on my list for a while, but I will be exploring potential sites this Spring and am in fact off to one today!
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Well I'd have till next year or so to drive as I have no driving license at the moment :( .
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

I live in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Where were you thinking of going?
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

brownl_91 wrote:I live in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Where were you thinking of going?
I have a sister who lives in Oshkosh. Not too far from you. Ever been to the experimental air show there?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Never been to oshkosh planes aren't my interest really, now rocks on the other hand.
As for a meeting place I don't know yet ideally somewhere with a nice untouched segment of woodlands.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Straelbora wrote:
brownl_91 wrote:I live in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Where were you thinking of going?
I have a sister who lives in Oshkosh. Not too far from you. Ever been to the experimental air show there?
Honestly, I have, but I was just a teen and it was during a family vacation when we went out to that and the Dayton Air Force museum. My Dad was a pilot and avid warbird restorer/ all around air enthusiast.
I know more about planes by osmosis than I do many subjects I have intense interest in!

So it is that our fathers demons many times become our own.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

Straelbora wrote:

No, unfortunately i have never been able to enjoy the show. I've been told its very enjoyable though.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

When and where were you thinking of camping?
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Don't really know when I could and where I have no idea yet I have yet to find a spot.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Odigan wrote:Well, ideally, the site in consideration would be within reasonable reach of the Indiana contingent. Southern WI would then be about equi-distant (~6 hours) from its northern reaches or the Indianapolis region. Governor Dodge State Park has been on my list for a while, but I will be exploring potential sites this Spring and am in fact off to one today!
Governor Dodge State Park is a very great place to go camping. When I was hiking around there, my group found a waterfall which the park now has a trail to. So that would be amazing if you could visit the park.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Brownno wrote:Governor Dodge State Park is a very great place to go camping. When I was hiking around there, my group found a waterfall which the park now has a trail to. So that would be amazing if you could visit the park.
I've been to Governor Dodge many times, and it is a great place with some nice trails and spots to explore, but as a Ranger Moot-site it is lacking. What I've been looking for is...

- Sufficient trails to simulate a trek (~10-15 mile min.)
- Backwoods/backpacking/off trail campsites
- Edged weapons and/or bows allowed
- Relatively remote/quiet

Gov. Dodge really only meets the first of these. While it does have a few "backpacking" sites, they are just a 1/2 mile hike in and are clustered together. During the summer the whole place can be very crowded, especially if you're trying to simulate some sense of wilderness, and the campgrounds overrun, even making reservations difficult. As with all WI state parks (as per my written response from the DNR on the issue) sword-sized edged weapons and bows out of hunting season are not permitted. Short of finding a big chunk of private land, I don't see much way of meeting all the criteria in this area.

That said, I have been to Gov. Dodge when it has been nearly deserted, and there are a couple large group campsites which could serve us well. The location is used for the annual Ring Game and it works for them, albeit their objectives are quite different. There's no reason we can't adapt to what we have and still have a great time.

The other option, which is further out of the way for anyone coming from the North, is Yellowstone Lake, which has some decently concealed campsites that could work in the off season, as well as sufficient trails. They also have an archery range as part of their (very nice) public firing range, though this is somewhat detached from the park proper.

If there is interest - in that at least two or three others from myself can commit to it - I can start organizing something at one of these or another location for this year. We don't have to go crazy with gear or anything, but just a chance to meet up, do some hiking, chat around the fire, etc.

You can check from your locations, but Gov. Dodge is about:
2 1/2 hours from Stevens Point
3 1/2 hours from Chicago
4 1/2 hours from Minneapolis
6 hours from Indianapolis or St. Louis