Indiana End-of-Spring Mega-Moot RECAP

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Odigan
Vendor

Indiana End-of-Spring Mega-Moot RECAP

Post by Odigan »

Back from Indiana once again, and a grand little adventure with some fine friends, both old and new. We were lucky to have the weather hold and rain only when it mattered little that it did. Our camp was in the shelter of a large outcropping and was comfortable, dry, and nearly devoid of bothersome insects (perhaps due to the resident barn swallows!).

I'll leave further recounting to others and skip right to some photos.
Attachments
I had arrived early, prepared the site, and had some lunch.
I had arrived early, prepared the site, and had some lunch.
Pear_sm.JPG (122.38 KiB) Viewed 15670 times
We held an informal archery contest and all present competed. Greg won!
We held an informal archery contest and all present competed. Greg won!
Contestants_sm.jpg (188.61 KiB) Viewed 15670 times
The evening centred around the fire, music, and storytelling.
The evening centred around the fire, music, and storytelling.
Groupfire_sm.JPG (150.36 KiB) Viewed 15670 times
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Indiana End-of-Spring Mega-Moot RECAP

Post by Manveruon »

Great recap! As always, it's fantastic to see pictures of people from the forums out in the woods, having adventures! I can't wait until my own chance! Maybe next year, after this one is under my belt, I can coax some rangers out Colorado-way for some primitive camping fun.

I hope the others took some photos as well! Looks like you guys had a blast!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I'm glad to see the pictures came out so well, Odigan.
It was a great time indeed! Near as we could figure, a Dunedain ranger, a Beorning, a Man of Lake-town, and two Hobbits (and a faithful hound) made camp in the Chetwood outside of Bree; well-fed, dry, and all the more merry thanks to the thunderstorm raging outside their rock shelter.
I think it was Greg (Or maybe JBook paraphrasing him) who noted that every time you go into the woods on one of these adventures, you learn a little something that works, or doesn't work, for you to tweak to improve the next one.
Some lessons I learned:
-When packing, don't pass up that scrap of shoe-patching leather because you think there's already some in the bottom of your pack. There may be a mile+ of gravel that will eat up your soles before you reach camp!
-Pack a glover's needle or two, in case your leather awl didn't make it into your sewing kit the night before.
-The choice to make seems to be between trail-comfort and sleeping-comfort. Because we weren't sure if the shelter would have a good supply of leaves for bedding, my partner R. and I each packed a wool blanket and canvas, which weighed heavy on our shoulders during the hike in...but the little bit of dry padding was better than being on the hard rock floor (or wet leaves) at night.
-After you boil your water, give it plenty of time to cool down before you pour it into your canteen. Hot water tastes like Liquid Smoke, apparently.
-Dumplings are easy and delicious, and a little flour will go a long way.
-A washcloth and soap do just as much good for one's morale as hygiene.
-When it comes to musical instruments, if you can't stick it in your pocket, don't bring it. Anybody know how to make bone flutes?
-Between food and water, your load will only get lighter as your journey gets longer.
-If you're feeling sore, there's no shame in taking breaks to take off your pack and stretch!; a spear or walking stick can be put to great use towards this end.
-throw a pencil (or other writing instrument for note-taking) into your bag! Several other insights occurred to me during the trip, but I didn't write them down and seem to have forgotten them. Hopefully something will jog my memory.
and
-don't discuss the possibilities of Sasquatch just before bed. ;)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

There were almost two more- a Ranger and an Elvish child, but the latter ran out of energy along the trail.

Greg- how close were we when we turned back?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

You had about a 1/4 mile to go, maybe a hair more, but it was all downhill...which means the hike out may or may not have been murder for the poor little guy.

Sooo sorry I didn't catch you guys in time. I maintained a pretty steady trot back up the trail all the day to Odigan's car hoping to catch you, but it seems you made pretty good time on your way back. When I got back to the shelter for the second time, I was informed that you hadn't intended to spend the night, so I felt slightly less responsible, though I was prepared to carry Henry the rest of the way to camp if you'd planned on staying.

At any rate, I got my opportunity...Shadow's paws aren't as tough as they used to be, since he hasn't been able to come to work with me for a year and a half, so in the evening I discovered that the outer layer of the pads on all four feet were peeling back from all of the gravel (the trail alternates between access road and single-track wooded trail occasionally), and he was pretty well incapable of walking. Odigan may have a pic of it...I had to turn my wool outer shirt into a hammock, and carried the dog a solid 2 miles out the next morning, and I'd happily do it again for such a friend. We're three days later now, and he's already his old self again, and his paws are pretty tough again.

Any lessons learned this time?
Well...I don't think I screwed up much this time around. Boots held up nicely, bedroll worked well (though I reduced it a bit from full capacity due to the warm weather...didn't bring my oilcloth tarp or my big wool blanket...my cloak served nicely as a ground pad for the dog and I, and my wool shirt+the warm-blooded fuzzface in my immediate vicinity kept me plenty warm.) It was worth the annoyance of carrying my Bodhran in for the sake of good times with good friends, but if this was a more serious trek, nothing bigger than my whistle would have come along.

Eledhwen's arrows she fletched and spined for me (review forthcoming) can take a significant portion of credit for the contest win. Spot on, folks. Spot on.

It was great to meet Udwin and Co. for the first time, and great to see Odigan and JBook again. Pleased to have a tune with the lot of you again, and some other good-timey shenanigans. So sorry to be leaving such a wonderful group behind...but we'll be back someday, and the whole family will be present.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

I do indeed have a photo of Shadow comfortably (for him at least) bundled up. It was a well fashioned arrangement, though I accompanied Greg on the early run for support and the get a start on my long drive home.

Since others have shared their findings from this field experience I'll add my own. This was my first test of hose (chauses) and I have to say I was overjoyed with them. I learned a lot in working up the patterns for them, fitting and sewing them, but that was nothing compared to the comfort they provided. They give complete coverage and protection from trailside vegetation and biting insects while at the same time - being as they are linen - feeling as though nothing is worn at all. The integrated foot was much more comfortable than I anticipated, and keeps out dirt and debris while protecting the foot from turnsole seams. There was no slipping, binding, or chafing, despite the somewhat loose fit of my shoes (sized for heavy wool socks). I will certainly be making more pairs, in both linen and wool.

I brought along both oilcloth and wool blanket, despite the bulk and weight, knowing that the hike was short and the benefit to my comfort worth it; but my oilcloth is much bulkier and heavier than need be, so I will definitely be making a new one which will eliminate this dilemma. Also, given that I needed less overall bulk because of the warmer weather, I still managed to overburden my packbasket with amenities. Fortunately, as consumables they just lightened the load over time. Knowing that you'll be at a fixed location tends to tilt your packing towards the luxurious...
Attachments
Shadow patiently awaiting early morning evac.
Shadow patiently awaiting early morning evac.
Shadowpads.JPG (175.08 KiB) Viewed 15615 times
Much of the trail and the surrounds of the cave were as thus.
Much of the trail and the surrounds of the cave were as thus.
Ethereal_sm.JPG (202.82 KiB) Viewed 15615 times
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Odigan,
I have to say I have always admired the look of your soft kit, that overtunic with the cowl is very striking! The hose idea sounds great and is something I have been interested in trying. Are they the suspended type like chauses or do they have a "top"? I was also interested in the way you went about the patterns. I would imagine it would be fairly custom to get the right fit, but could you give us some pointers on the prosess you used? :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Thanks Ringulf. This is actually a new kit, in linen. My other is wool and obsolescent at this point. I also have a green supertunic, but was not wearing it because of the heat and humidity.

The hose are seperate, not joined, and are suspended by the waist-strap of my braies. It took me a couple tries in scrap material to get a good pattern to work from, and I used a combination of the patterns from The Medieval Tailors Assistant by Thursfield, and duct-tape dummies of my feet and ankle to get the exact fit. These are better done in wool if you want them snugly fitting, because it has more stretch, but linen can be cut so the bias runs across the pattern to utilize some of its give also.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The kit certainly looks rugged yet comfortable and in linen must feel great!
As for the hose then, you say a good way to get a nice fit would be to take a pair of high tube sox and make a DT pattern, like you would for boots, and just continue them up to the right level using a proper pattern for the construction?
Very cool, thanks I will try that! It gets so stinkin' hot down here and anything I can do to maintain a period prescence and be comfortable is certainly a plus! (and it looks like it could make life a lot easier when releiving onse self!)
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Udwin wrote:...
-don't discuss the possibilities of Sasquatch just before bed. ;)
And.... real, probable, possible, no way?

Harmless or preying on humans (There are those who claim hundreds of hikers, dog walkers, etc. go missing and are killed and eaten by Sasquatch every year- including from Morgan-Monroe State Forest)?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál