Indy/Dragons Wood Inn moot early summer 2016

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Indy/Dragons Wood Inn moot early summer 2016

Post by Straelbora »

Is there still interest at having a Moot at Dragons Wood Inn, probably late June or early July?

For those who missed the announcement first time around, I've got 13 wooded, hilly acres with a gutted 1930 farmhouse that I'm turning into a fantasy/medieval inn.

www.dragonswoodinn.com or www.facebook.com/dragonswoodinn

Some of the things I'm thinking about doing:

A intro to Sindarin class.

An Orc hunt (My six year old son suggested that we construct some Orcs and place them at various points in the woods, to be used as target practice. Next weekend, I'm going to try and construct the first, out of old 2x4s for skeletal framing, old furniture foam for muscle, and Goodwill clothes and Halloween masks for outer layers).

We're about 45 minutes southwest of Indianapolis, several miles off the main road, but pretty close to decent roads and other amenities.

Please let me know if anyone is still interested.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I'm still trying to make this happen for 4th of July weekend. If the date changes, I will need to know to request time off.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Pretty sure myself, Udwin, Odigan, and possibly Ursus were planning on/expecting the 4th of July weekend. We were tentatively talking about starting with a bit of a working morning onsite at the inn Friday, followed by camp Friday evening at the rock shelter in nearby Morgan-Monroe, and time spent on your property Saturday-Sunday, to help accommodate a wider ranger of schedules.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Alright, we're just under two months out from the proposed date-of-mooting, so I'd like to propose a plan/schedule of sorts to mull over for purposes of filling that weekend and getting a little bit of everything in and under our belts, for both travelers and (relative) locals.

Friday, all more nearby participants/attendees arrive at the Dragonswood Inn as early as is practicable in common clothing, and for a half day or so, pitch in with whatever physical labor needs Buck has around the site. ....Thoughts? Buck, your take?
There are a million and a half things that I could use some extra hands for. Making wattle fencing for the garden. Splitting shingles for the roof. If it hasn't been done by then, nailing old barn wood onto the interior walls.

The one I would really need help with is a proposed 'watch tower' on one of the hills. The previous owners bought the rounded sides of logs from a lumber mill (imagine the curved outsides you cut off to turn a tree trunk into a cross-section of a square). They nailed and screwed them to the exterior as a fake log cabin skin. They are thick and heavy. I want to take some 2x4s and other lumber I have and make a two story watch tower on the hill, then skin it in these left over log sidings. I think it would be a cool photo op point, and fun for LARPers, etc. , as a 'capture the flag' point. Getting all that lumber down one hill, across the hollow (currently bridged by an assortment of old wood pallets), then up the hill and to the construction point will go much easier with extra help.

Then, of course, there's the building of the cooking fire place in the Inn, and building the bread over, and the forge for the smithy, for any would-be masons.....
Hávamál
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

E.MacKermak wrote:I'm still trying to make this happen for 4th of July weekend. If the date changes, I will need to know to request time off.
I know that a lot of people have 4th of July plans, but I'm sticking with the 4th, because so many people have long weekends.

I'd eventually like to make it an annual Moot (actually, I'd like a summer and winter moot to be held each year), and would have to poll participants to see what works best.
Hávamál
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Pretty sure myself, Udwin, Odigan, and possibly Ursus were planning on/expecting the 4th of July weekend. We were tentatively talking about starting with a bit of a working morning onsite at the inn Friday, followed by camp Friday evening at the rock shelter in nearby Morgan-Monroe, and time spent on your property Saturday-Sunday, to help accommodate a wider ranger of schedules.
That sounds great. And anyone interested in arriving earlier or leaving later is certainly welcome.
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Deal, and done.

I'll try to roll in Friday morning and start toting lumber, if you'll be there/available.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Deal, and done.

I'll try to roll in Friday morning and start toting lumber, if you'll be there/available.
I should be.

I'm having some friends in from Michigan this weekend, and hope that we'll be able to get some progress on the interior of the Inn, so that it's fully habitable by the 4th of July.
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

It looks like there is still one guy who will thatch your roof:
http://www.thatching.com/
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Kortoso wrote:It looks like there is still one guy who will thatch your roof:
http://www.thatching.com/
Wow!
Hávamál
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Being both my birthday weekend and the 4th I unfortunately wont be able to make it. Straelbora, I'm hoping to make it over your way at least once this summer to help with the labor and maybe have a small moot.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ursus wrote:Being both my birthday weekend and the 4th I unfortunately wont be able to make it. Straelbora, I'm hoping to make it over your way at least once this summer to help with the labor and maybe have a small moot.
Just give me a few week's notice, at minimum, and I'll make sure we connect. I'm 45 mins or less from the Inn site.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ursus wrote:Being both my birthday weekend and the 4th I unfortunately wont be able to make it. Straelbora, I'm hoping to make it over your way at least once this summer to help with the labor and maybe have a small moot.
Cool. I spend most of my spare time there, especially now that the garden is planted. Trying to get a coat of paint on the exterior and old barn wood on the interior over the next few weeks.

Will need some expert help in doing the lower exterior in stone and the upper exterior in beam and stucco.
Hávamál
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Just give me a few week's notice, at minimum, and I'll make sure we connect. I'm 45 mins or less from the Inn site.
I'm going to send out an inquiry to all the folks on the Facebook page who said that they were 'interested' or 'coming.' Even if it's four or five folks, I'll go ahead for the 4th of July weekend.

If not enough people are serious, I'll just bump things to a normal 2 day weekend, maybe in September, when things are (hopefully) cooler.
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

My comment was re:Ursus's about coming out at another time. I'm pretty sure our 'locals' at least are gung-ho for the weekend of the 4th, starting Friday. I believe myself, Udwin, and Odigan, at a minimum.