Two Recent Gatherings in the Misty Mountains

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Two Recent Gatherings in the Misty Mountains

Post by Manveruon »

So I've been a bit quiet lately, as far as adding new content around here, but I wanted to post a quick update on the most recent Ranger outings we have had here in the Misty Mountains! The first was a day hike on October 1st, with the aim of taking in as much autumnal beauty as our mountain home has to offer! Unfortunately, because it's Colorado in the fall, the trailhead was absolutely clogged full of muggles. Still, once we got a ways up the trail it thinned out a bit, and the scenery was absolutely to die for! We had a few new folks come along for the hike, including my old friend Leah and her mom, Joyce! The hike itself was largely uneventful, except for the occasional bumping-in-to-normal-hikers, which was generally amusing - although I believe my hiking companions quickly tired of the two rather lame jokes I recycled every time we passed by someone (either "WE'RE GOING ON AN ADVENTURE!!!" or "Have you seen any goblins about? No? WELL YOU'RE WELCOME."). My one heroic moment came at the end of the trek, on our way back to the trailhead, when Joyce accidentally dropped her rather cherished walking stick down a very large, steep slope, under some barbed wire, and into some private property with a small cabin on it. Once I realized what had happened, I descended the hill, ducked under the barbed wire, crept VERY SNEAKILY (read: NOT AT ALL SNEAKILY UNLESS YOU ARE A CARTOON CHARATER) into the bush by the cabin, and then high-tailed it back up the slope, under the fence, and thus returned the precious stick. I felt very accomplished! :lol:
Anyway, here is a link to the full album on Facebook (it should be public so everyone can see it):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 591&type=3

And here is a selection of the highlights from that trek:

So here's a picture showing my pack set-up for the day! I have to say, I've become exceedingly fond of this particular arrangement. It's essentially based on rigs that others around here have talked of in the past, most notably Greg and Elleth, I believe. I used to try to sling my bedroll and quiver side-by-side, but the weight was not distributed well at all, and caused me a lot of shoulder pain. This time, however, I chose to sling the bedroll the opposite direction of the quiver, laying the pack over the quiver in the back, and passing the strap in the front between my two chest-mounted pouches. Then the snapsack is slung from the bedroll strap, to nestle comfortably under my right arm. Incidentally, I've started referring to my snapsack (which, by the way, is AMAZING, and made for me by the ever-fantastic Elleth back in '15 for the Yule gift-exchange) as my SNACK-SACK, because I have taken to filling it with all my basic trail rations that I may choose to nibble on as I walk. I have found this set-up to be absolutely WONDERFUL, because I can simply untie the mouth of the snapsack at my chest, reach right in, grab a bite to eat, and then tie it back up, all right as I'm walking. Anyway, I now return you to your regularly scheduled picspam!

Here's a shot of me utilizing one of my favorite pieces of modern gear: my Sawyer Micro Filter!

And here is the ONE picture Leah snapped of me during OPERATION STICK-RESCUE, haha.

Here I am after the hike proper. Leah led me up the road a bit to some falls further up the pass, and they were incredible. I want to explore the whole Guanella Pass area in more depth soon, but it will likely have to wait until the spring, because the road shuts down for the winter in mid-November.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Two Recent Gatherings in the Misty Mountains

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, now for the SECOND recent event! This past Sunday, the Misty Mountain Rangers hosted our second semi-annual Middle-earth Feast! A friend of ours, Ida, has a house with a lovely, spacious back yard, and in that yard is a sort of shed or garage that she has completely transformed into a fantasy-themed feast hall! She calls it High Point Hold, and while it's full of imagery from all kinds of fantasy media, it suits our purposes perfectly well for a Middle-earth themed event. We did a Springtime feast there back in March, and it went off really well, so we decided to make it a twice-a-year thing - once in the spring and once in the autumn, to celebrate the changing of the year, as well as the beginning and end of the "trekking season" around here. In theory, this is meant to be a time for everyone to come together and discuss (in the spring) their various goals and plans for the coming season, and then (in the fall) recap their various exploits and set goals for next year. In practice, however, it means a lot of people drinking mead, eating good food, and just participating in general merrymaking. This time around I even brought my fiddle and played a few tunes for everyone! You see here a (very) brief clip of that here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbKdZ5Wn_Q9 ... enfeathers

Ida also has some archery butts set up in her yard, as well as a little battle arena, if anyone wishes to attempt to wail on each other with boffers or rattan, but I ended up arriving a bit late for all that. Still, you can check out pics of all the merriment here:

Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that looks delightful!

Going out and doing things beats being cooped up inside on the forum any day.
:)

Couple thoughts -
I had no idea you played fiddle - that's very cool!

I love love those mountain woods! As attached as I am to east coast hardwoods, those gold drops on the ground in cool mountain air are suuuuch a nice memory.

In the picture where you're cutting the cheese block, you're wearing an interesting top with a sewn-in.... armguard? What's going on there? Is it from somewhere, or your own design? How's it work in the wild?

Those hand stitched gloves are amazing! Did you work from a pattern, or sew around your hands, or pick out and resew a commercial set, or what?

I love seeing a travelling party that's not all Rangers - it's a nice composite.

The opening-and-closing season party is a grand idea. Now I'm jealous. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Nice kits on everyone, and you can't beat the scenery.

The garage-as-feast hall is great.

I wish there were half a dozen 'regular suspects' around me who would get together a couple of times a year.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Very nice! I saw these on Facebook, but it's nice to see them distilled down and here, on the forum!

I really need to follow your example and take more pictures with my local crew. I always plan to take pictures or stream live to Facebook or the like, and then I always forget when I'm doing things (and so do most of the other folks). As a participant it doesn't bother me, but as a group organizer it's a real problem when it comes to recruiting - I can tell folks what we do, but pictures and words and all that.

I like the idea of book-ending the season with social events! My local group does an annual Winter Solstice/New Year's party at the end of December, but it could be fun to try to do something in the late Spring/early Summer, as well.

I second Straelbora - nice kits! Do you have a lot of SCA/LARP/cosplaying folks in your local crew, or are you just much better at motivating folks to work on their kits than I am? :mrgreen:
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Looks like you really had a good time :P SOOOOO AWESOME :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:In the picture where you're cutting the cheese block, you're wearing an interesting top with a sewn-in.... armguard? What's going on there? Is it from somewhere, or your own design? How's it work in the wild?
That's his New Line Strider 'duster' replica...Viggo's has the same.

Looks like a grand time!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ranger Austin
Wayfarer

Post by Ranger Austin »

Looks like you had an excellent time out and about! Just as a matter of interest, that pipe the young lady with the coronet on is holding...what is it and where? I have three pipes, one cheap no-name, one Savanelli, and one Missouri Meerschaum cob from their "cobbit" line of Middle Earth inspired pipes. The cobbit was the cheapest of the three, and, defying all expectation, smokes like a dream!

I applied to join the group on FaceBook. I wish there were some Rangers in East Texas. I've heard rumors that there are fellow Texans on this forum, but I never seem to find any.
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

Seems like an excellent romp through the woods! Now, I'm interested in how you hang your quiver. The way it's attached makes it seem like the strap comes around the whole body, but it doesn't seem to interfere with the cloak on your left side. Did you cut holes in your cloak to thread the strap through, or is it suspended some other way?
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Ranger Austin wrote:I applied to join the group on FaceBook. I wish there were some Rangers in East Texas. I've heard rumors that there are fellow Texans on this forum, but I never seem to find any.
Have you joined the Middle-earth Rangers Facebook group? There might be some folks interested in the hobby there that aren't active on the forum.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Deeply envious at a gorgeous wilderness you can bushwhack and bivouac in! And a large, "with it" community as well!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hey everybody! So sorry I never got around to answering all your wonderful posts on thid thread! I have this unfortunate tendency to post something big, then wait a couple of days before logging back onto the forums - and when I finally do, I find myself totally overwhelmed at all of the response, so I put off replying until I have the time to do so properly. Sadly, this means sometimes I fail to reply at all.

In any case, let me try to adequately address all the points you lovely bunch of folks brought up!

First and foremost, Elleth!
Elleth wrote:Oh that looks delightful!

Going out and doing things beats being cooped up inside on the forum any day.

Couple thoughts -
I had no idea you played fiddle - that's very cool!

I love love those mountain woods! As attached as I am to east coast hardwoods, those gold drops on the ground in cool mountain air are suuuuch a nice memory.

In the picture where you're cutting the cheese block, you're wearing an interesting top with a sewn-in.... armguard? What's going on there? Is it from somewhere, or your own design? How's it work in the wild?

Those hand stitched gloves are amazing! Did you work from a pattern, or sew around your hands, or pick out and resew a commercial set, or what?

I love seeing a travelling party that's not all Rangers - it's a nice composite.

The opening-and-closing season party is a grand idea. Now I'm jealous. :mrgreen:
Yes, I am absolutely in love with the Rocky Mountains, what can I say. There's nothing quite like the crisp mountain air in the fall and the golden aspen leaves falling all around you. This particular outing was an absolutely magical experience. Everything I could have hoped for in an autumn hike! That said, I'm a bit jealous, myself, of the amazing colors of all those East-Coast hardwoods. Around here it's pretty much just a WHOOOOOLE bunch of yellow. Which is beautiful in its own way, but still. Dense deciduous forests are something we definitely lack around here.
As for the garb questions, yes, Greg is correct about the coat! I'll talk a bit more in-depth about that below, but first, the glove! Thank you! I'm quite proud of it! I only made one, I'm afraid, rather than a pair, and it was a bit of a pain, but I think it turned out pretty great. Like the coat, it's also a film-replica item. So I tried to match the one Viggo wore as closely as possible. I had initially intended to modify an existing glove, but in the end I decided to make one from scratch, and while that was a challenge, it came out much better than any mod I could've done. Basically, I used one of Sarah's glove patterns as a reference and then completely altered it for my purposes. Had to basically redesign it from the ground up, including drafting a longer lace-up cuff, finger gussets, and screen-accurate patches for the knuckles and around the thumb. Then the entire thing was hand-stitched with linen thread. It's comfy, functional, and I believe the most screen-accurate rendition of the glove maybe ever made by a fan (I'm humble, I know :lol:).

So yeah, THE COAT. The green leather coat I'm wearing is my film-replica Aragorn duster. I hadn't actually intended to wear it that day, but I brought it along just in case, and as it turned out, the weather was quite a bit nippier than I had anticipated, so I threw it on last-minute. I LOVED IT! It's funny - I always used to hate that thing in the movies, but having now made one for myself I have fallen completely in love with it! It's warm, but the laced seams and open front allow some breathability. The leather I chose is wonderfully soft, and also quite tough. The long splits in the sides and Back make wearing swords and other accessories relatively easy, and it gives good coverage of my entire torso. If I were to change one thing, were I to make it again, it would probably be to give the upper arms a bit more room, but overall it's amazingly comfortable. I'm a convert!
As for the sleeve, yes, like Greg said, that patch is also present on Viggo's jacket, but I'm not totally sure of its purpose, other than just as a piece of visual interest. I suppose it could function as a lightweight arm protection in a sword fight, but it wouldn't do a ton of good. Perhaps the coat was torn and he decided to patch it with something a bit decorative? The Appendices state that they made it ornate to show his "elvish influence," or something of that nature. Not sure. But anyway, it was on his coat, so now it's on mine, heh. It's not a PERFECT copy of the original, as the one on the screen-used coat was extremely ornate and also very difficult to see most of the time, but I think I got it pretty close!

Oh, and yes, I do play a bit of fiddle! I'm not amazing, but I'm improving, slowly, over time. :)

Also, as a sort of post-script - it's wonderful to finally put a face to your posts, Elleth! And it's about darned time we got to see a glimpse of you in kit!
Last edited by Manveruon on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Some other points I wanted to address too:

- Regarding participants

So yeah, as for the "regular suspects" that Straelbora mentions, we dont always have very many of those, to be honest. Often times it's quite difficult to get people involved in our various outings, but it fluctuates. Luckily the feast is always popular. In fact, because Facebook inexplicably made our event public, and then shared it all around the Internet at large, we had something like 200-300 people respond as "interested," but naturally only about 15 or 20 people actually showed up. And it's a good thing, too, because Ida's feast hall - as cool as it is - can really only handle that many, maximum, haha.
That being said, in the future, if there really IS that big of an interest in Middle-earth themed feasts in our area... I have... IDEAS. Like maybe renting out a relatively in-theme-looking event space (we've got several pretty good ones around CO) and charging a small cover for a REALLY BIG event. We've got several SCA folks involved who have experience autocrating, so it's not totally out of the question. If we do end up trying something like that, you can bet you're all invited! In fact, I've been toying with maybe turning it into something like that idea we were throwing around a while back about the "Night at the Prancing Pony." Can't remember the name of the thread, but the idea was basically to get a bunch of us together for a trek, and then end (or possibly begin) at a tavern, with a solid Middle-earth theme. But anyway, that's a ways down the road, if at all...

But that does bring up another point - Taurinor: yes, most of these folks are SCA/LARP/Ren-faire goers, so they've got stuff lying around. Most of it isn't specifically ranger related, but a lot of it works in a pinch, and I've been trying to encourage them to come out in whatever they've got rather than waiting around until they look PERFECT before they feel like they can participate. Unfortunately, motivating people to work on ranger garb is a bit like pulling teeth for me as well, heh. Still, it's nice to have a lot of overlap with other local nerd-groups. In fact, I keep meaning to organize a company of rangers to invade a local SCA camping event. Hopefully this coming season sometime...

OKAY, next! Melthrist! On the topic of the quiver: yes, you have a good eye. My quiver is a single-strap setup, and does indeed go all the way around my body. As you guessed, I do have a small hole in the back of my cloak to allow it to pass through without impeding the cloak's drape. I realize this is regarded my many as a sort of "cheat," but for me it's useful, and I find it doesn't diminish the usefulness of the cloak in any significant way. The hole is very small, and sort of hidden in the rear seam of the cloak (I had to piece it together out of two smaller pieces of wool back when I made it). This also helped me finish it nicely so it won't unravel or anything like that. But ayway, the setup allows me to pull the cloak closed around me at need while wearing the quiver. Works well!

And finally, Austin: alas, I'm afraid I have no idea about that pipe of Leah's, other than that it belonged to her late father, and is probably at least a couple decades old.

So anyway... um... I THINK that's basically everything? Hopefully that answered everyone's questions! And again, sorry it took me so long to respond!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:So yeah, as for the "regular suspects" that Straelbora mentions, we dont always have very many of those, to be honest. Often times it's quite difficult to get people involved in our various outings, but it fluctuates.
I know what you mean - I've got a core group of three to five folks that are game for most anything and will pretty much always show up to stuff if scheduling allows. The Facebook group I set up for my area has over a hundred members, but I've never seen most of them. I have a display I set up to recruit at the local library comic conventions, and while folks usually seem really excited at the con, most of the time I never hear from them again. I enjoy the presenting, though, so I don't really mind :lol:
Manveruon wrote:But that does bring up another point - Taurinor: yes, most of these folks are SCA/LARP/Ren-faire goers, so they've got stuff lying around. Most of it isn't specifically ranger related, but a lot of it works in a pinch, and I've been trying to encourage them to come out in whatever they've got rather than waiting around until they look PERFECT before they feel like they can participate. Unfortunately, motivating people to work on ranger garb is a bit like pulling teeth for me as well, heh. Still, it's nice to have a lot of overlap with other local nerd-groups. In fact, I keep meaning to organize a company of rangers to invade a local SCA camping event. Hopefully this coming season sometime...
Most of my gear does dual-duty as historic reenacting stuff, so I can't say I blame your folks, haha! My group has almost no overlap with the other local nerd groups, at least not when it comes to the active members, so I have a few loaner tunics that get passed around to buy folks time to make their own. A fair few of the regulars come more from the bushcrafting side of things, actually, so as a group we can handle ourselves out in the woods pretty well. That makes me feel better, since while I'm not useless in the woods, I'm still a novice bushcrafter, so thankfully it's not a blind-leading-the-blind situation. I can teach folks to sew a tunic, though!

A couple of us are going to an SCA event this weekend, though, to see if we can find a little more overlap. Some of the folks who are active with my local group got involved because they had bad experiences with the local SCA, but are still interested in SCA-ish activities. That was all a few years back, though, and I'm trying to get involved with the Atlantian Royal Foresters Guild (in which Erich M. and Kiriana fill two of the top three positions for the kingdom), so I'm hoping to find folks in the local Barony who might be interested in that. I'm also interested in invading a SCA camping event with a few of my local folks, as well (we have a large Viking contingent :mrgreen: ).
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Taurinor wrote: Most of my gear does dual-duty as historic reenacting stuff, so I can't say I blame your folks, haha! My group has almost no overlap with the other local nerd groups, at least not when it comes to the active members, so I have a few loaner tunics that get passed around to buy folks time to make their own. A fair few of the regulars come more from the bushcrafting side of things, actually, so as a group we can handle ourselves out in the woods pretty well. That makes me feel better, since while I'm not useless in the woods, I'm still a novice bushcrafter, so thankfully it's not a blind-leading-the-blind situation. I can teach folks to sew a tunic, though!

A couple of us are going to an SCA event this weekend, though, to see if we can find a little more overlap. Some of the folks who are active with my local group got involved because they had bad experiences with the local SCA, but are still interested in SCA-ish activities. That was all a few years back, though, and I'm trying to get involved with the Atlantian Royal Foresters Guild (in which Erich M. and Kiriana fill two of the top three positions for the kingdom), so I'm hoping to find folks in the local Barony who might be interested in that. I'm also interested in invading a SCA camping event with a few of my local folks, as well (we have a large Viking contingent :mrgreen: ).
So I never did ask - how did that SCA event go? I love the Royal Foresters Guild, and I'd love to work on my own little chapter out here in the Outlands. I know several other SCA folks who seem really interested in it too, and I feel like they'd be more likely to go for the "Ranger Thing" if it also had applicability in the Society. A lot of the SCA folks I know out here are just SOOOOO INTO IT, so everything they do has to sort of be involved in some way, if that makes sense. For my own part, I barely participate in the SCA these days - though I know a lot of great people from there and I really want to get back into it eventually, once time and mental stability allow.

It's interesting you mention the loaner tunic thing though, because that's exactly what I'm trying to do out here too. Just a few basics to get people dressed so they can come with us - and hopefully that will hook them!

Unlike your group though, my pool of people seems to be more LARP/ren-faire/SCA oriented, with very little actual bushcraft experience, which I find endlessly frustrating because, unlike you, I AM absolutely useless in the woods, haha. I really want to learn more of it, but I much prefer learning-by-doing to reading about it endlessly and then eventually trying my hand at it with no actual hands-on guidance. I just hope eventually we can get a couple relatively experienced bushcrafters out with us on an adventure or two, because I think that's what our group is sorely lacking. People sort of expect me to be the Font From Which All Knowledge Flows in this group, just because I'm the one who started it, but that's a weight of responsibility I'm simply not cut out for, haha.