Swedish media group buys Middle-earth Enterprises

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Swedish media group buys Middle-earth Enterprises

Post by Cimrandir »

I posted this in the update discussion thread as an example of the media focus that's sure to attract new-comers but I wanted to also create a dedicated thread to discuss the news on its own.

TheOneRing.net reports -
Swedish video game and media company Embracer Group today announced the purchase of Middle-earth Enterprises (MEE) from The Saul Zaentz Company, acquiring all its IP for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit in the process.

One of the most-exciting aspects of this annoucement for Tolkien fans is Embracer’s suggestion that it will explore “additional movies based on iconic characters such as Gandalf, Aragorn, Gollum, Galadriel, Eowyn and other characters from Tolkien’s literary works.”

Embracer Group buys Middle-earth Enterprises and will explore new movies based on LOTR and Hobbit IP and characters

The press release also states that other opportunities include exploring additional movies based on iconic characters such as Gandalf, Aragorn, Gollum, Galadriel, Eowyn and other characters from the literary works of J.R.R. Tolkien, and continue to provide new opportunities for fans to explore this fictive world through merchandising and other experiences.
Middle-earth Enterprises will be a part of the newly founded operative group Embracer Freemode. The company will continue to operate independently under the existing Middle-earth Enterprises leadership team, working closely with Embracer Freemode management and other Embracer operative groups to foster opportunities, growth and synergies within the Group to continue to build and expand the great franchise.

Well, this is a turn. Anything to get away from Saul Zaentz, I suppose.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Swedish media group buys Middle-earth Enterprises

Post by Straelbora »

I agree, Zaentz and his corporate heirs would sell their grandmother, but I suspect this company may try and develop what is, in my humble opinion, the antithesis of the Professor's work: a theme park.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Straelbora wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:45 am I agree, Zaentz and his corporate heirs would sell their grandmother, but I suspect this company may try and develop what is, in my humble opinion, the antithesis of the Professor's work: a theme park.
OOOH, "Going down to Goblin Town" - an underground roller coaster that plays that song from the Rankin/Bass show ala "It's a Small World". :P :P :P

Prancing Pony themed food service "They have pints!"

Lothlorien- Tree House climbing with guide ropes on swinging walkways like they have in some malls

Uuummm! I think I'll pass, particularly when the ticket booth is shaped like Mount Doom and you just throw your wallets into it! :D :D :P
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

*snort*

Thanks Pete! I needed that laugh this morning.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Peter Remling wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:15 am
Straelbora wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:45 am I agree, Zaentz and his corporate heirs would sell their grandmother, but I suspect this company may try and develop what is, in my humble opinion, the antithesis of the Professor's work: a theme park.
OOOH, "Going down to Goblin Town" - an underground roller coaster that plays that song from the Rankin/Bass show ala "It's a Small World". :P :P :P

As long as they throw in "Where There's a Whip (There's a Way)" somewhere, I'm all for it! :oops:
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

As long as it's an entire package deal and doesn't split things out like the Klingons in Star Trek
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Peter Remling wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:15 am

Prancing Pony themed food service "They have pints!"

Lothlorien- Tree House climbing with guide ropes on swinging walkways like they have in some malls

Uuummm! I think I'll pass, particularly when the ticket booth is shaped like Mount Doom and you just throw your wallets into it! :D :D :P
Dang, All except the ticket booth actually sound fun to me....
No accounting for taste I suppose XD
Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

Tough crowd here. Personally, I'm looking forward to what they come up with. They could take sections of the appendices and make some really good Middle Earth visual media. The Kin Strife, the Partition of Arnor, etc. Will they though? Doubtful, but one can hope.I look forward to the Rohirrim animated movie coming next year, may there be more.
Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor