D&D 5E

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

D&D 5E

Post by E.MacKermak »

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... l/20120109

Looks like WotC has been bought by Games Workshop. I remember the 4th Ed stuff just came out in 08 or 09 (I saw it in the PX in Ramadi), and they are already planning 5E.

Personally I am a old school D&D player (started in about 80 or 81) and I largely stopped after 2E due to a lack of players and the introduction of Shadowrun. Might be interesting to see some of where this ends up going.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: D&D 5E

Post by Eledhwen »

I started playing D&D in '74...Original D&D..and before that Chainmail and various other contrived combinations of miniatures rules.

I stopped playing actual D&D when it went to 4e. I play Pathfinder instead...it is more D&D than 4e has ever been. I worked for WotC for a time so had some notions of what was going on in the runup to 4e. I did not like it then, I do not like it now. I do not play MtG, nor am I interested in their online version of Dragon and Dungeon..although I was a constant subscriber to both in print form.

I love OD&D. At this point though, Pathfinder does everything I could want in a tabletop RPG and does it very well. I shan't return to Wizards over a name, however august that name may be.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I started playing in late 77. My brother Mike was in High School at the time and introduced myself and then girlfriend (now wife) to it. We played every Sunday night for 13 years. Dropped it because of a lack of mature players, the ones we started with were all in transitional phases and either moved or were starting families.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Haven't tried Pathfinder yet. I am always up to learn a new game, but would need to find a group. I am tired of being the GM/DM simply because I know more of the rules than anyone else in the group.

As for D&D, only time will tell if I go back with 5E, play 2E (if I can find players), or go on to something else.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

1979 for me. the New AD&D players guide was my first purchase. We had started a D&D game in our Dorm in college up in Wenham, MA I had never played before but was at that point a Tolkien nut so It sucked me right in.

Would you believe my first character was a Ranger!
Anduin Son of Arnethir
He became a Lycanthropic (were bear) Ranger and I had him as my primary charicter for many years.
His curse was awakened kind of like the Hulk's during excess stress,danger or pain,(yeah I know but back then instead of campy it was pretty unique) He had trouble not shape changing every time they got in a situation. You know the type...the ones where you are supposed to run!
He finally got a "Torc of Temperance" that would keep him from going "Bear-serk".
Unfortunately it also, unknown to him, could trap him in bear form if it were put back on him.

:roll: It is not fun to get sold to a traveling circus let me tell you...
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I started with the new D&D set in high school around 82, the one that came in the box set with the blue dice (which I still have :) ) and moved to AD&D when I went into the Army. We'd do spur of the moment campaigns and had the best times, I remember. We have the old rule books, thanks to Ebay and folks who were selling off their 2nd edition stuff, but sadly no one to play with.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

wow guys I was born in 85 LOL :P :P :P :P (Running away laughing until a younger ranger says something to get all the attention)
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Man I got socks older than you! Just kidding it's all relative, I live in Florida...God's waiting room. I am the young kid here! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh we still have all of Erich's 2nd Ed books hehe plus a few add ons we've found later on.

And Willret.. makes you only a year older than my oldest son hehe He was born in 86'.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ringulf wrote:Man I got socks older than you! Just kidding it's all relative, I live in Florida...God's waiting room. I am the young kid here! :mrgreen:

I know the truth, you head for Florida to find the Fountain of Youth. Follow the footsteps of Ponce de Leon and ye shall find the years.

Okay I just happen to be watching ,On Stranger Tides.

:D
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Has anyone else noticed that almost everyone posting so far is talking about having started playing in the late 70s to early 80s? I guess with the coming of game consoles and computers, tabletop RPGs kinda faded in the eyes of the youth.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Their loss.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Yeah but our kids love the table top rpg's hehe.. we've brainwashed them hehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

My elder son is a DM in his own right, and my younger one is coming up that way. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

When I was a teen in high school in the early 80's they advertised D&D quite a bit on the radio "products of your imagination", but I agree, I think that computer games and the like did a number on RPGs, but the constant changes in rules and the like didn't help either, IMO. The cartoon was pretty cool too. I met a girl once in the Army who had gone to school with Gary Gygax's daughter, whom the red head thief was supposed to be based off of. At least that is what she told everyone lol

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"