Rangers of the New Republic

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Rangers of the New Republic

Post by caedmon »

Star Wars Rangers.

Discuss.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
RangerofAngmar
Wanderer

Re: Rangers of the New Republic

Post by RangerofAngmar »

Mandalorians are star wars rangers?

Din Djarin is star wars Aragorn?
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Curious about this. The graphic makes me think of buzz lightyear space ranger type stuff, but we will see.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Mandalorians are more like Galaxy Far Far Away Klingons....honor-and-warfare-fixated culture.

There are already a couple of more Middle-earth analogous groups...Kilian Rangers were chivalrous and almost medieval-esque in their organization, while the Antarian Rangers were more Dunedain-like, acting acting as scouts and protecting commoners to support the Jedi.

As many of the Mandalorian season 2 episodes have felt like stealth pilots for spinoff shows or themepark rides, my guess is this 'New Republic Rangers' will involve Cara Dune and/or the X-wing pilots doing beat cop/Marshal-y stuff. Possibly along the lines of the New Republic Security Force (NRSF) of the EU, which "replaced the old Imperial Sector Rangers. It was designed to be a law enforcement agency as well as a counterinsurgency force" (Complete SW Encyclopedia, Vol2).
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Ah, Udwin beat me to it with the Antarian Rangers. I first remember reading about them when a character in the Wraith Squadron novels was stated to be a former member. I always thought they deserved a chance in the spotlight but it doesn't seem like this new show will be anything close. I haven't seen any of the second season of Mandalorian so I can't comment on it being a spinoff.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Udwin wrote:Mandalorians are more like Galaxy Far Far Away Klingons....honor-and-warfare-fixated culture.

There are already a couple of more Middle-earth analogous groups...Kilian Rangers were chivalrous and almost medieval-esque in their organization, while the Antarian Rangers were more Dunedain-like, acting acting as scouts and protecting commoners to support the Jedi.

As many of the Mandalorian season 2 episodes have felt like stealth pilots for spinoff shows or themepark rides, my guess is this 'New Republic Rangers' will involve Cara Dune and/or the X-wing pilots doing beat cop/Marshal-y stuff. Possibly along the lines of the New Republic Security Force (NRSF) of the EU, which "replaced the old Imperial Sector Rangers. It was designed to be a law enforcement agency as well as a counterinsurgency force" (Complete SW Encyclopedia, Vol2).
UH OH! Y’ALL WOKE UP OUR RESIDENT STAR WARS REENACTOR! :lol:

Yeah, functionally I agree with everything Udwin said! I’m kind of expecting the “rangers” here to be a group of pilots patrolling the outer rim. I wouldn’t be surprised if this specific series mostly attempts to address the growing threat of the First Order as it rises from the ashes of the Empire, in an effort to connect the OT and Mandalorian timelines with the sequel films.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I expect it to be along the lines already stated, but a little more underground, like Wedge and Garik Loran’s “Wraith Squadron” from the Old EU Canon, because Ranger is an inherently stealthy and clandestine word these days.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain