Dunedain Star Brooch...

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Dunedain Star Brooch...

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

West Coast? WEST COAST?!?!

HUZZAH!

Please tell me you'll be around Nor Cal...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

*le sigh*
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Greg wrote:West Coast? WEST COAST?!?!

HUZZAH!

Please tell me you'll be around Nor Cal...
Greg, I'm on the west coast, Bend, OR. Going to be making a trip to northern cali soonish (I hope) to visit some friends (fellow jeweler and him and his wife do horseback archery).

How close are you to the Pacific Crest Trail greg?
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Greg

Post by Greg »

I don't know...only been here about 6 weeks...but I'm in Vacaville, CA, if that helps any. Will you have a free afternoon to participate in some shenanigans while you're here? If I'm not very close to where you'll be, I'd be willing to drive to just about anywhere for an afternoon...
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
doghsin
Wayfarer

Post by doghsin »

first off, thank you for dragging me to the correct thread. i need to spend less time thinking of what ide like to talk about and more time reading through the history of posts here. ;)

yes, thats pretty close, but i was thinking the star be more like knotwork. a solid star in a circle resembles modern law enforcement too much, me thinks.
another variation was to have the north point extend slightly above all the others (which i came up with simply as a practical solution to cover the pin hinge on the cloak-pin design i came up with, but also fits well with the 'Rangers of the North' theme)
appoligies for the crude image, im tired and MS Paint is difficult using the touch pad on my laptop.

(another design i was thinking of is an eight point star made of; broad heads for the four cardinal directions and bodkins for the intermediate directions (se,sw,ne,nw). think it would take a good artist to design that though)
Attachments
star.jpg
star.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 18634 times
"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees." -Qwatsinas
doghsin
Wayfarer

Post by doghsin »

doghsin wrote:another design i was thinking of is an eight point star made of; broad heads for the four cardinal directions and bodkins for the intermediate directions (se,sw,ne,nw). think it would take a good artist to design that though
quite possibly the roughest sketch in the history of the world (my minds eye has the axe/swords smaller in scale)...
Attachments
Doghsinstar2.jpg
Doghsinstar2.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 18626 times
"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees." -Qwatsinas
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

A star either on an oval broach ( ala the forums logo) or a star with in a circle would be much more practical from as woodsmans point of view. ( less to catch on limbs and such)
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
doghsin
Wayfarer

Post by doghsin »

Gareth wrote:...though I've never been that into weaving of that style. What do you think of doing it as one continuous piece, like most star jewelry?

~G

technically it is a continuous piece, just on my crappy 'drawing' i used breaks in the line to signify an over/under design.
i notice a very strong Euro/Celtic theme in this community (in keeping with J.R.R.T.) and since knots were a popular design in most historic cultures of the area, figured it would be well recieved. (i was even thinking of very intricate star knots for another design)

jolromir wrote:A star either on an oval broach ( ala the forums logo) or a star with in a circle would be much more practical from as woodsmans point of view. ( less to catch on limbs and such)

agreed. i just needed to get it out of my head.lol
guess i picture that design as more of a heraldry, on banners and such. (its loosely based on a tattoo design im getting)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I really like the ideas that I am seeing, but I do want to throw this in the mix from The Lord of the Rings stage production:

http://www.lotr.com/sights_sounds/chara ... graphs.php click on Aragorn and Arwen.

Their Aragorn has the Ranger star on the sleeve of his duster. Note the design.

What do you guys think of that?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
doghsin
Wayfarer

Post by doghsin »

Mirimaran wrote:...

Their Aragorn has the Ranger star on the sleeve of his duster. Note the design.

What do you guys think of that?

is it just basically a ten point? looks to me like a pentagram over an inverted pentagram, minus the circle. that photo is very hard for me to see.
the only problem i have with it is, like Jolromir said, any design would be most practical were it enclosed in a circle.

what i assumed is that you will have a single producer manufacture them for you guys to individually purchase (when the economy lets you) so you in your motley assortment of garb will have one common item that shows your unity.
if this is true, will you set some earned requisite for 'brandishing rights" (i.e. time as a forum member, complete garb kit, attendance to an event, etc.) or available to anyone who has the cash?
am i right in assuming this brooch will be cast of silver? (or will it be multi-colored, like two or more different metals. or painted even?)
will it be just ornamental or functional, like a cloak pin?
(im just throwing more out there for discussion.)
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.