New Boots!

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: New Boots!

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Yeah, I really like the current patina that they exhibit; I know you're planning on improving them Michael, but they sure do look authentic in their current state! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, yeah, I mean I kind of do too! I LOVE things that look all old and weathered and beat-up. I'll be holding onto the pictures of these for sure to use as reference for future endeavors in distressing costumes (which is one of my favorite things to do with cosplay, honestly). But yeah, for these I definitely want to get a longer life and more functionality out of them, so I'll definitely be re-finishing them pretty extensively. Even so, I'm sure they'll exhibit plenty of noticeable wear before too long!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very cool!

I'm curious - did the slits lower down make much of a difference in letting in trail cruft?

A little anecdote: after our pup chewed out the liners of my modern hiking boots, I just started using my barn muck boots for short woods walks. I was actually surprised how well they actually worked on the trail. I'd not want to go miles and miles in them, but they weren't nearly so ungainly as I might have expected - and naturally they kept my toes nicely dry. At least until the rubber finally gave out.

Still, it gave me some perspective on the tall laceless leather boots that it seems like everybody but us put their soldiers in last century. I don't think the tall-and-kinda-stiff boot shaft works for the ranger aesthetic, but it's made me curious to explore softer mocs/medievally boots that are unslit and a tad loose all the way up, off in the old Tandy "Apache" direction.

I've no clue what the foot contruction would look like though.

Anyone have trail experience with such things?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Elleth wrote:Very cool!

I'm curious - did the slits lower down make much of a difference in letting in trail cruft?

A little anecdote: after our pup chewed out the liners of my modern hiking boots, I just started using my barn muck boots for short woods walks. I was actually surprised how well they actually worked on the trail. I'd not want to go miles and miles in them, but they weren't nearly so ungainly as I might have expected - and naturally they kept my toes nicely dry. At least until the rubber finally gave out.

Still, it gave me some perspective on the tall laceless leather boots that it seems like everybody but us put their soldiers in last century. I don't think the tall-and-kinda-stiff boot shaft works for the ranger aesthetic, but it's made me curious to explore softer mocs/medievally boots that are unslit and a tad loose all the way up, off in the old Tandy "Apache" direction.

I've no clue what the foot contruction would look like though.

Anyone have trail experience with such things?

So as for getting dirt and gravel and trail-gunk inside the boots, I have to say that they actually did pretty well in that respect. There was some occasional dust, but I can’t recall any major debris making its way inside.

When it comes to the laces, I can definitely say, having extensively worn a pair of 17th/18th Century “pirate” boots for many years, that a whole bunch of lacing around the foot and leg really isn’t necessary if the foot itself is well fitted. And really, there are plenty examples of pull-on boots out there throughout the ages. Although, I feel like if you want a particularly snug and secure fit, some sort of lacing or buckling or tightening right down at the bridge of the foot definitely helps.
For my own boots, these need lacing in general because of their front-opening design, but even so, and despite my previous statement about snugging down the bridge, I’d say the lacing lower down on the foot portion of these boots is mostly superfluous - particularly when the lower leg is laced all the way up to just below the knee.I could probably take out the lowest loop entirely and not be particularly bothered by the fit, as long as the front of that section was sewn closed - but I might have trouble getting my foot in and out.

To try and combat the issues presented by having openings down on the foot, however, I’ve decided to try making some small rectangular strips of very thin, soft garment leather, and sew them on the inside of the boot just behind where the openings are situated. I’ll probably use a small, tight saddle-stitch, then seal that slightly with beeswax. This should mostly shore up those holes, while still leaving loops on the outside of the boot for the lacing. It’s probably a bit over-engineered, but I am optimistic that it will improve the overall functionality.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

BOOT UPDATES!
So it’s only the one boot so far - the other is started but not nearly this far along. And it's technically not COMPLETELY finished because I still need to sand down, re-stain, and seal the laces, and then the entire thing needs to be sealed and weather-proofed... BUT! All the major construction is DONE!! I AM SO HAPPY WITH HOW THESE ARE COMING OUT! Below the main photos are some construction progress pics. I sanded down the lower parts thoroughly to remove as much of the previous finish as possible, then I hit them pretty heavily with some vinegar water to help lift the salt stains. After that was done I re-stained them and sewed in the inner patches to help prevent dust, gravel, water, etc. from getting in through the lacing holes - although in doing so I obviously punched a bunch of stitching ones, so we’ll see how that all balances out eventually.
This time around I decided to line the uppers with some of the same garment-weight leather to add a little body, and I’m really glad I did because they definitely feel a little more substantial. I also think I’m going to stick with the idea I played with here about using a much thinner leather thong/boot-lace for the actual ties at the top instead of the heavier straps, because the thick ones just come untied too easily.

Still have a ways to go yet, but they’re really coming along! I can’t wait to finish up so I can finally get out on the trail again!

Image]

img]https://i.imgur.com/0ddLjeGl.jpg[/img]

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

They're looking amazing so far :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

As I expressed on the Facebook group earlier, those revamped boots are simply amazing, and a perfect accompaniment to your new jerkin, Michael! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that's just amazing!

I love the "spine" up the back to keep the straps together. I'd intended to the same with mine... if I ever get a chance to make the darn things. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks folks!
Elleth wrote:Oh that's just amazing!

I love the "spine" up the back to keep the straps together. I'd intended to the same with mine... if I ever get a chance to make the darn things. :)
Heh, yeah, I know the feeling all too well. I’m now procrastinating on actually finishing the second one. I’m definitely hoping the strip up the back helps with some of the issues present on the previous version. Overall they seem really sturdy right now, but of course I haven’t gone adventuring in them yet, so we’ll see how they hold up over time.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Mine have a spine up the back (stitched onto the inside) which I thought in theory would make them easier to pull on, since it faces smooth-side in. That part worked, but it also makes a noticeable difference in support. In short...yes, it works.

Nicely done!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

It looks beautiful and I agree with the others, well done on the spine! Your boots have a very pleasing toe aesthetic. I love how rounded they are but still come to a point. I think I've seen that referred to as an almond point. Did you make that part yourself or is a hold-over from the basic stock boot?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Greg wrote:Mine have a spine up the back (stitched onto the inside) which I thought in theory would make them easier to pull on, since it faces smooth-side in. That part worked, but it also makes a noticeable difference in support. In short...yes, it works.

Nicely done!
Thanks! Yeah, I’m really liking that detail. Definitely wish I’d gone ahead and done that the first time around, but you live and learn, I suppose.

Almost done with the second boot now and I’m super excited to finally be able to try them out!
Cimrandir wrote:It looks beautiful and I agree with the others, well done on the spine! Your boots have a very pleasing toe aesthetic. I love how rounded they are but still come to a point. I think I've seen that referred to as an almond point. Did you make that part yourself or is a hold-over from the basic stock boot?
So yeah, the toes are a little odd, because they’ve definitely gotten kind of misshapen over the years. They originally came with a very... I don’t know, ordinary-looking point, I guess? But with wear my big toes made kind of an impression in the leather, and the toes themselves got a little more curled up. I’ve never been a fan of pointed toes, so if I were to change one thing in particular about their design it would definitely be that, but when I started re-doing them I decided to try and reshape the toe somewhat, so I wet it down and stuffed it with some plastic bags to try and get a less curled and pointed shape, the result of which is what you see here. I’m sure it won’t last once I start actually trekking in them, but for now I’m quite pleased.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I HAVE COMPLETED MY BOOTS!

To be fair, I may need to make some small modifications after field-testing them (I already have a feeling I’m going to want to add some small, narrow ties at the ankle to keep the flaps from hanging open), but overall I’m extremely pleased!

Finished the second one up last night and then thoroughly treated both of them with Aussie-wax to help condition and waterproof them. Hopefully they will have many miles in them yet! :)
31131077-B7C8-46D7-80EB-0D1C55087788.jpeg
31131077-B7C8-46D7-80EB-0D1C55087788.jpeg (160.25 KiB) Viewed 12526 times
1CFED0F4-191B-45C0-9FA5-8A5D52766815.jpeg
1CFED0F4-191B-45C0-9FA5-8A5D52766815.jpeg (164.53 KiB) Viewed 12526 times
C08A815E-539A-4854-8C14-9931CCDAEE52.jpeg
C08A815E-539A-4854-8C14-9931CCDAEE52.jpeg (150.57 KiB) Viewed 12526 times
827B48C7-F2F6-4FA4-8133-FE0B338429D8.jpeg
827B48C7-F2F6-4FA4-8133-FE0B338429D8.jpeg (143.35 KiB) Viewed 12526 times
5498AEE5-B187-4300-BFE8-3CFEB7259B2E.jpeg
5498AEE5-B187-4300-BFE8-3CFEB7259B2E.jpeg (156.43 KiB) Viewed 12526 times
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Dude :!:
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Amazing :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.