Working On a New Jerkin

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Working On a New Jerkin

Post by Greg »

That stitching tho...

Great work, Manveruon, came out beautifully! Now, pics of it on you or I'll claim it's not yours!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, thank you! And not to worry, there will be plenty! I just have to finish the blasted thing first, and with how long the stupid braided edges are taking, that could be... a while...
Eofor wrote:It really is some of the nicest work I've seen. I know that the extra work seems arduous but the memory of it will fade long before your jerkin does, and that level of craftsmanship adds a level of authenticity to your gear that you can't get without the hours.
I keep telling myself this, because you're right - once it's over the memory of the labor does fade quickly... which is probably why I keep doing dumb stuff like this! :lol:
But yes, I do think the end product will be quite worthwhile!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Amazing stuff!
Frodo lives!
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

This is so cool!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Slowly coming together! I’m almost finished with All the edge binding, and I’m also working on getting the reinforcement patches for the front ties figured out. I think I’ve settled on this shape, which was inspired by some of the Numenorean designs discussed in a previous thread on here, and which I know Elleth and TheOwl both have used on various projects. (Please excuse the car hood here - I just don’t have a much better place to lay this out for a picture in my garage workshop.)
7AD3A9C2-1A64-4245-B06C-809DEB7F2DDB.jpeg
7AD3A9C2-1A64-4245-B06C-809DEB7F2DDB.jpeg (74.83 KiB) Viewed 11553 times
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Damn Manveruon, it looks better every update!

I said to Elleth the other day - 'There is an aesthetic about a well made thing that cannot be faked' and this project is is the perfect example.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Do Ranger's have a runway ? That's the height of fashion ! Very Sweet !
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Wow...it looks more amazing each time I see it, Michael! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

This looks amazing :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Very nicely done!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I'm slowly moving away from the ahistorical jerkin idea but I must admit the progress and skill shown in your jerkin have given me second thoughts. Well done! It looks grand!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks again folks! More updates forthcoming once I get the closure system sorted out. Then it’ll basically be finished!
Cimrandir wrote:I'm slowly moving away from the ahistorical jerkin idea but I must admit the progress and skill shown in your jerkin have given me second thoughts. Well done! It looks grand!
Yeah, I’ve debated back and forth with myself about jerkins and similar garments, but in the end I always just come back to the same conclusion which is, in a nutshell, “screw it, I like them,” haha. On some level, I would almost classify this as more of a surcote or even a waistcoat than a true jerkin in any case, since historically jerkins tended to be considerably shorter garments. A shorter, more late-Medieval inspired hunting jerkin might even be a bit more Middle-earth appropriate in some ways than a garment of this kind, but I’m always just drawn to the silhouette it creates. And I must say that I’ve found them practical in terms of warmth, durability, water-repellence, and overall comfort.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Manveruon wrote: “screw it, I like them,”
If I had to sum my my approach this would be how.
Manveruon wrote: On some level, I would almost classify this as more of a surcote or even a waistcoat than a true jerkin in any case, since historically jerkins tended to be considerably shorter garments

This. I've always considered Aragorn and Boromir's movie jerkins as more surcoat than actual jerkins, like what a crusader would wear, but with a front closure.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Since we really lack textual evidence for the use of jerkins by the Dunedain, my reasoning consists of this:

1) It's more durable, so there's a decent chance that it'll prevent excess wear from thorns and brush to the torso of expensive hand-stitched garments. It's not going to stop a knife, but it could also serve as a means for quieting/visually muting a coat of maille, and preventing snags.
2) It's more fitted, so it cinches my lower-layers in for better economy of warmth in winter.
3) It separates the appearance of a green-and-brown persona from the Zelda games, which I consider to be a necessity.
4) It helps to separate the appearance of a persona from a run-of-the-mill medieval impression. As much as I consider book-accuracy to be important, I also feel that there's got to be a distinction between my kit and a straight-up Bocksten impression (for example), or we aren't doing fantasy at all.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

My apologies, I didn't intend to reignite the debate on the accuracy of jerkins. They can definitely be useful and I will most likely make a version myself in the future. Right now, I'm considering a short sleeved Anglo-Saxon wrap-around coat for the extra warmth and as you say "silhouette" that separates us from a Robin Hood comparison.

I am very impressed with Manveruon's work. It really looks great.

Sorry again.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain