Anyone experimented with a Ruana Cloak before?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Valladon

Anyone experimented with a Ruana Cloak before?

Post by Valladon »

I came across this video, and am planning on making one with a hood this weekend. But I was wondering what everyone here thinks of it

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZfaPo-zFZz8&feature=share

Starts on the Ruana cloak at about 14:50
"The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice. The eye of the enemy is moving. He is HERE."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Anyone experimented with a Ruana Cloak before?

Post by Manveruon »

I’ve had one for years and I love it, but I very rarely wear it with my Ranger kit. These are the only photos I know of that show me in it, from early last year. I really like how versatile it is, but I also tend to use a more traditional style of cloak most of the time.
908BF671-F78A-4668-8618-147D356113FB.jpeg
908BF671-F78A-4668-8618-147D356113FB.jpeg (155.89 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
7D1FDFE4-97CE-48A1-92F8-3BCDDA391091.jpeg
7D1FDFE4-97CE-48A1-92F8-3BCDDA391091.jpeg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
FB8D9B6A-2CF4-4C23-A281-C918435AB002.jpeg
FB8D9B6A-2CF4-4C23-A281-C918435AB002.jpeg (117.26 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

I have one.

I like the length, versatility and freedom of movement.

Mine doesn't have a hood.

Here's a good deal on an Alpaca one:

https://www.alpaca4less.com/woven-alpac ... ap-poncho/

There is a sale on now if you spend over $100. Make sure that you catch a sale if interested.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I might get one at some point, it's something I probably should try, they always look very useful :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Interesting!

I have a vague memory that I borrowed/inherited a shawl not unlike that from a college roomate or something way back when, and it was quite cozy! That I just thought of as normal clothes though, so it never occurred to me to use in a historic/anachronistic context.

Later in 14th c. English reenactment I was given a pattern for essentially the same garment (called by the group a "heuk" if memory serves) - but the wool I used was way too heavy, and I cut it too long, and it was just a pain.

I could imagine a midthigh-to-kneelength version in the right fabric though would be quite nice! I can see why he's partial to it.

I'll have to try one some day. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Another nice thing about them is that, when they have no hood, one or both of the front lengths can be pulled up around the head to form basically a hood-like head wrap.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Post by Thalion of Bree »

I am super late to this discussion, but I love the Ruana cloaks I've made. I made a blue fleece one for my wife (that I have borrowed on multiple occasions), and a green fleece one for a friend. Both of them were lovely and soft and warm, and incredibly versatile! Good for any season--except the dratted and dreaded Arkansas summers.
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
theguywitheyebrows
Wayfarer

Post by theguywitheyebrows »

i have made several from blankets and love them!! first a poly thrift store blanket became a poncho with a diamond neck hole, then that got a slit and became my new favorite thing. i turned a double layered throw (faux sheepswool one side camo microfiber opposite) into one with a circle neckhole and recognized the downfal ot eh neckhole being solid; purchased a wool blanket as a giftcard splurge for xmas and cut a teardrop shaped neckhole that turned into my SOP for ruana cloaks, great shape, no random corner to tend to, added a leather hood and its rock solid. purchased 4.75oz linen and made one that became my 'under tunic'. for the next linen one i make, i'll extend the corner the slit creates a foot or so extra to create ties where i stitched in hemp line. pictures later, once i login from my phone tomorrow.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Nice!

... I've done a few walkabouts this winter in non-specific "old timey" stuff and have found a light, tightly-fulled ruana + optional linen-lined tweed hood + optional knit sweater make a very versatile, very comfy combination in weather from a bit cool to cold - very much the same idea I think as Greg's hood and Bocksten cloak, the only difference being a bit less protection/more access at the sides for the arms. So long as the ruana/cloak is thin and fulled tight enough to be a good wind-and-water layer, it works really really well. :mrgreen:

How to translate those experiences into proper Middle-earth kit I'm not sure yet. I really like the loose-knit sweater for a lightweight warmth layer, but it's as far as I know a pretty late period thing. Anyone know if naalbinding was used for torso garments as well, or just hats, socks and caps?

edit - OH. I'd been meaning to say and had forgotten: another advantage of the ruana + separate hood is that it (at least so far) it seems to do away entirely with the "choked by your own cloak" phenomenon. There's other problems - sometimes things might get a bit discombobulated and one side will hang longer than the other until you straighten things out - but some gestalt between the type/weight of ruana, totally open front neck, and extra weight from a thicker tweed hood over the shoulders meant no problem whatsoever about the throat - something I've never experienced with regular cloak patterns before. Quite practical and comfy!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

I wear one at home whenever it's cold, and I don't bother attaching a hood to it for a lot of reasons including the one in that video.

If you need a hood, you can always take left (or right) side, toss it over the right shoulder, then from that side toss it over your head. Actually look at the following @ 5:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU1imeSWhQ4
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
theguywitheyebrows
Wayfarer

Post by theguywitheyebrows »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:18 pm I wear one at home whenever it's cold, and I don't bother attaching a hood to it for a lot of reasons including the one in that video.

If you need a hood, you can always take left (or right) side, toss it over the right shoulder, then from that side toss it over your head. Actually look at the following @ 5:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU1imeSWhQ4
i won't attach another hood to another one, likely, but i had crafted this hood the week before and felt it was going to make a good addition. with th ehood up it causes the weight of the entire cloak to rest on your neck, so that undesirable and the hood can be easily removed if i decide to; i'm also toying with the idea of adding GoT style straps to alleviate the weight issue. i have finagled several ways to wear the cloak with and without a hood and mask, so the addition was sort of redundant i will admit.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

I made one from a Swiss army blanket and have worn it quite often on the coldest days here. It's very bulky, but it works well, even on a bike.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Valladon

Post by Valladon »

So

This winter I ended up making one out of a green wool mil-surp blanket. And...

I love it!!!

I didn't attach a hood, deciding to make a separate hood later, and in the interim using the folding method Tom_Ranger mentioned. It's wonderfully warm, while being easy to open if you get too warm. I find myself wearing around the house, and anytime I find myself outside at night. I used it once during a snowstorm to clear fallen branches for about 2 hours, and stayed both warm, and dry the entire time! I love it so much, I'm planning a summer cloak made of linen following the same pattern.

I simply can't speak highly enough of it. Anyone on the fence about, I say give it a shot! I don't think you'll regret it one bit!
"The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice. The eye of the enemy is moving. He is HERE."
Randir05

Post by Randir05 »

I have! It is my go-to cloak and a crucial part of my ranger kit. It's incredibly versatile and can be worn in various ways. I also use it as a regular blanket from time to time. Mine doesn't have a hood, but I wear one separately over it. I find that when merely walking around you don't need any sort of brooch, but if you're going to be wearing it for more active/combat-type scenarios it's helpful to have a penannular brooch to pin it on one shoulder.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

1,000,000 +1 ways to use it. I'm finding new ways all the time. When I need a little extra warmth I just flip one side of it over the top of my head.

I'm also experimenting with different uses of a sash of which so far I have.
1. Belt
2. Bag
3. Hood
4. Blanket
5. Kilt
6. Camo.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.