Ursus kit carry updates(picture barrage)

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Ursus kit carry updates(picture barrage)

Post by Ursus »

So for quite awhile now I've been dealing with a lot of carry issues. The big issue for me and I think a lot of folks on here comes down to one piece of symbolic gear, the quiver. At one time or another we've all made some form of statement about our quiver being in the way of our kit in some way. With this in mind my solution was a simple one, with a heavy heart I ditched the quiver. I still needed to carry arrows though so like always when confronted with a problem like this I turned to history. What I decided on was the arrow bag. Many of us carry them in our quivers as it is. Grabbing some materials I set to work. The body of this is heavy olive drab linen that has been waterproofed with my ground cloth solution. It has soft leather inserts sewn into the bottom inside to prevent my broadheads from cutting through. The suspension system is a simple set of leather straps that allow for a wide range of carry options. With a quick simple tie off I can wear it low across the back, quiver style, or back pack style. Also now when travelling my arrows are protected from damp and damage. What's better is that the arrow bag weighs nothing compared to my quiver and is more flexible than having a stiff leather tube across ones back. Also it can act as a forage/game bag or as a place to store goods I'd like to keep dry should the need arise. I also made a bow bag of the same material for my warbow.
Attachments
arrowbag2.jpeg
arrowbag2.jpeg (137.81 KiB) Viewed 18520 times
arrowbag1.jpeg
arrowbag1.jpeg (134.67 KiB) Viewed 18520 times
arrowbag.jpeg
arrowbag.jpeg (141.21 KiB) Viewed 18520 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Ursus kit carry updates(picture barrage)

Post by Ursus »

Backpack style
Attachments
arrowbag3.jpeg
arrowbag3.jpeg (185.42 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Now on to the new carry system. After getting rid of the quiver the next issue I tackled was my bed roll and equipment carry. I don't like the classic short bed roll on a tumpline system. Its bulky, it hangs all the weight in one spot and once your goods are rolled up in it you cannot access anything without breaking down your entire kit. In short its just not practical for me. First I made a new leather haversack to carry my foodstuffs and cookware. This solved some of the issue of weight but still left me with an ungainly mass on my back and more straps across my body than I like to have. To solve this I revisited an old method and folded the whole affair up length wise and tied it at the bottom. This goes on first now and hugs my whole torso and the arrow bag ties to it. Next goes the haversack followed by my water bag which fit into the hollow made by the bed roll and kind of locks the whole thing together. The bed roll acts as a cushion for the straps and is very comfortable.
Attachments
image[17].jpeg
image[17].jpeg (130.8 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
image[4].jpeg
image[4].jpeg (132.25 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
image[5].jpeg
image[5].jpeg (134.25 KiB) Viewed 18519 times

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Here are a set of time lapse photos showing the quick removal of the whole affair. After dropping the pack my hand is next to my hilt already so dropping and drawing are all kind of one action which is convenient.
Attachments
tl1.jpeg
tl1.jpeg (134.4 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
tl2.jpeg
tl2.jpeg (136.66 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
tl3.jpeg
tl3.jpeg (138.54 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

This set just illustrates simple fight movements with the pack on like sword guards and drawing the bow, 120 lbs of dead orc comin right up!
Attachments
image[7].jpeg
image[7].jpeg (186.62 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
image[8].jpeg
image[8].jpeg (134.29 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
image[9].jpeg
image[9].jpeg (133.75 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
Last edited by Ursus on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Finally one of the most important points. I can wear a cloak as it meant to be worn, over top my gear! Before with my arrows sticking up and chunky bedroll bulging out this was impossible but now that things are more streamlined I and my gear are fully shrouded against the elements. A new, bigger cloak is next on my list of things to make.
Attachments
image[22].jpeg
image[22].jpeg (193.65 KiB) Viewed 18518 times
image[26].jpeg
image[26].jpeg (125.06 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
image[23].jpeg
image[23].jpeg (125.71 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

And lastly here's a few of my new waist pouch, whetstone case, and new sword belt. The belt I bought off etsy and was billed as a ranger baldric but works better as a waist belt. It has a handy little sheath that holds my camp knife built into it.
Attachments
df.jpg
df.jpg (46.96 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
image[16].jpeg
image[16].jpeg (215.19 KiB) Viewed 18519 times
image[13].jpeg
image[13].jpeg (177.57 KiB) Viewed 18519 times

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

and the whetstone to finish up.
Attachments
dfg.jpg
dfg.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 18519 times

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

one I forgot from another angle.
Attachments
image[6].jpeg
image[6].jpeg (131.92 KiB) Viewed 18510 times

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Alright, cool new rig!

I've messed with a horseshoe roll a few times, and it IS useful. I won't ever say I won't use one again...it's just not my everyday go-to. In certain situations, I'll always remember it as an option, definitely. Seems to be working great for you!

I waffle back and forth on the whole "wearing the cloak over your gear" thing. I don't doubt that gear can all benefit from some added protection, but I worry (assuming that orcs and other nasties exist, and do so in enough force that I would run into them on occasion) about the availability of arrows in such a setup. I'm sure, foul weather existing, one would be far less likely to encounter orcs, but I hesitate to count them out completely for that very reason. It looks really cool here...it's just not for me, I guess.

I agree on the quiver thing. There is some unneeded bulk there, for sure. I'll stick to mine, as it protects my shafts from trees and tight brush, etc., as I'm sure that I'd break a few in no time if I hung mine in a sock like that, but I can definitely see the benefit, and am jealous that your solution is so much closer to history than mine, which is 100% middle-earth, 0% historical.

Some neat solutions here, for some very common problems in the trekking world. I'm liking it very much, and it all comes together nicely on you. Lots of woodsrunning experience showing here.

Side note: 18th C. trekkers often refer to themselves as Woodsrunners...I think we need to establish Taurandir as a global term for people of our...tendencies, shall we say.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:Alright, cool new rig!

I've messed with a horseshoe roll a few times, and it IS useful. I won't ever say I won't use one again...it's just not my everyday go-to. In certain situations, I'll always remember it as an option, definitely. Seems to be working great for you!

I waffle back and forth on the whole "wearing the cloak over your gear" thing. I don't doubt that gear can all benefit from some added protection, but I worry (assuming that orcs and other nasties exist, and do so in enough force that I would run into them on occasion) about the availability of arrows in such a setup. I'm sure, foul weather existing, one would be far less likely to encounter orcs, but I hesitate to count them out completely for that very reason. It looks really cool here...it's just not for me, I guess.

I agree on the quiver thing. There is some unneeded bulk there, for sure. I'll stick to mine, as it protects my shafts from trees and tight brush, etc., as I'm sure that I'd break a few in no time if I hung mine in a sock like that, but I can definitely see the benefit, and am jealous that your solution is so much closer to history than mine, which is 100% middle-earth, 0% historical.

Some neat solutions here, for some very common problems in the trekking world. I'm liking it very much, and it all comes together nicely on you. Lots of woodsrunning experience showing here.

Side note: 18th C. trekkers often refer to themselves as Woodsrunners...I think we need to establish Taurandir as a global term for people of our...tendencies, shall we say.
Thanks I'm very happy with it! Needing my bow for protection on the trail isn't something I worry too much about as the trees wouldn't likely give me much of a shooting solution. Personally Id be far more likely to go for hand weapons, unless I had time to draw the enemy to a much more bow friendly area of course. If I feel I am in danger of needing it I will retie the arrow bag angled at my back for easy access under the cloak. This is what I love so much about it, its so much more adaptable than my quiver. In the end this set up is geared more towards function in the woods and making my job as a tracker easier than combat, but can quickly be adapted for combat if time allows.

I was actually playing around with your snap sack set up and was really loving it but I couldn't get around the bulge of the sack, which kept messing with my bow draw and sword use. I tried reversing it and putting the sack on the opposite end of the bed roll but that was an instant no go.

The quiver will still be very much in use but I'm adding it to my war kit, for when I know combat is a guarantee and want repetitive access to arrows.

Another reason for switching to the horseshoe was the blanket. I took your advice and looked up one of the Italian military blankets on ebay. I love it to say the least, but man is it heavy. Its the first blanket I've owned that covers me head to toe.

Taurandir, cool sounding name. What does it mean?

Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Ursus wrote:Taurandir, cool sounding name. What does it mean?
I'm not up on my elvish verbs, but taur is 'forest', so I'm guessing forest-walker/runner?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That would be forest-wanderer, as opposed to woods-runner, more closely hitting the head on what Rangers were described as doing/being than simply following suit with the established woodsrunner title. Mithrandir may come more readily to your minds, as a refresher on the common verb.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

D'oh. Of course! That totally works, I dig it.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

that looks great . love the little whet stone pouch .