A Dúnedain Ranger's belt pouch

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: A Dúnedain Ranger's belt pouch

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote: - One, I suspect a large part of what I love about the color and texture is a result of the traditional tanning and dying methods. I definitely couldn't achieve the same look with most modern dyes or tans. It really has a beautifully rustic look that just FEELS *RIGHT*, somehow.
Agreed, it's an amazing piece, I can never quite replicate the feel of traditional tanning and dying methods, even if the colors are the same, maybe texture or even-ness?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thank you guys! :mrgreen:

Manv, if you like the shape, I dug out my pattern.
I'm *pretty* sure the front piece is my more recent one, but I'd still recommend if you give this a go making a mockup in canvas or something first.
merf-dunedain-pouch-pattern.jpg
merf-dunedain-pouch-pattern.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 10458 times
Regarding traditional materials - absolutely!
I'm in the planning stages for a new project and ordered in some samples of commercial leather... and just am not happy with any of it.

It is *amazing* the difference the natural dye process makes. Needing sun to darken things up has always been a pain though: the only long stretches of time I have are over the winter, and the sun's just not strong enough to do anything then, at least where I live. The last couple years I've tried to follow a cut-and-dye in the summer, sew and finish in the winter, but it's been pretty hit-or-miss. And - as this pouch shows - there's not much room for error if you flub a piece.

Still, I've been experimenting in our seedling tent with artificial lights, and so far results are promising. I'd rather have all sun-tanned leather of course, but sometimes one takes what one can get. I can't see a difference anyhow. :)

Regarding buckles... I think with iron or patina'd bronze one can absolutely avoid the shine issue: I just didn't care to do that with this particular project. Most of my other bronze is darkened though, and it doesn't draw the eye at all. That said, I've been generally trying to remove metal where I can and I think toggles and such are a a perfectly dandy solution for pouch closures. I've not got a favorite yet for rangery use.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing ththe pattern!
I'm wondering - can you give me any more info on how you lined it, and which specific sections have linen lining?
Also - the tongue/tab on the flap for the buckle - is that too pieces, or did you choose to stitch all the way around it to keep the leather from stretching and to continue the aesthetic of the stitched edge from the rest of the top flap?
Honestly, any particulars about the construction itself would be greatly appreciated!
I suspect I may have to just use modern leather and/or dyes if I do one, because I don't really have a good place to go about sun-baking anything for the walnut dye process - but I'm having some thoughts about how I might be able to achieve a similar feel, if not *quite* same. I'll have to experiment.
And yeah, you're certainty right, of course, about darkening/dulling the metal. I'm just always so torn on buckles for pouches like this, because I LOVE how they look, but I often find them a bit fiddly when I'm on the go.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh - and while I'm thinking about it - would it not be easier.to simply sew the top-flap/belt-channel section onto the finished pouch at the end, after the other pieces have been assembled and turned? I know the space inside might be a little tight for stitching the bottom-most line, but perhaps it would still be easier than turning the whole thing?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Let's see...

- no linen anywhere. The lid/flap is "lined" with goatskin, which makes that little pouch I use for tinder/tow.
- tongue/tab: I did it both ways as I recall. I think I started with two pieces of goatskin, didn't like how it came out, and re-did with a single thickness of cowhide. Either will work: depends on how thick/pliable the leather you have is. (I think the cowhide I used was in the 5-7 oz, and the goat around 3-4, but I'm not certain)
- when to attach the top flap: I think the divider would make it prohibitively cramped to work in there - but if you don't have a divider, that order should work just fine.

Can't wait to see how yours comes out!
Have you seen Ursus' rendition?
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... =27&t=4148

Oh! One more thing.

If you're doing lanyard rings and you like the "arc" pattern on my d-rings but don't like shapeways' cost, I just saw these on KoA recently:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=LB25340
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Aha! Okay, that makes more sense! I misinterpreted your previous photo showing the pattern pieces as being the leather for the outer part of the pouch and linen pieces for lining! Definitely explains why I didn't actually see any linen lining in the final product! Not sure where my brain was there - perhaps I got a bit over-excited upon my re-entry to the forums, haha.

And yeah, I took a quick look at his as well! Looks very nice! I've been meaning to read through that whole post of his in detail, but haven't quite gotten there yet. Still trying to catch up on everything I've missed (or at least the highlights).
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Related: I decided I didn't like how that "decorative belt loop on the outside" was working. It works more or less okay with a standard wrap-around sheath, but with my center-seam style I just kept getting poked in the ribs. (It could also be that Urthgard's knife was slimmer).

Anyhow, I figured since the "design on the outside" idea was lifted from ornamented scabbard slides in the first place... why not follow suit and move the sheath to the outside of the belt and just lash it on, "scabbard style?"

I don't think this is the final arrangement, but I'm liking the direction a lot better. It sits nicely, and I think there's a lot of room for some ornamental leather-braiding in those straps once I've the time to really play with it. The bead is a little bronze treasure from Etsy with a flower design not unlike the patterns Tolkien used in his own heraldry, so I thought it fit well enough.

Getting there!
merf-dunedain-knife-sheath.jpg
merf-dunedain-knife-sheath.jpg (169.04 KiB) Viewed 8131 times
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

That's just simply awesome, Elleth. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Absolutely beautiful!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I tried something similar to your original carriage method years ago and didn't like it either. I had the scabbard for my gigant-o-seax under my belt, with the belt running through the strap near the scabbard throat, trying to keep it tucked under for better stability/less flop, etc like so many long hunter sheaths tend to be...but my results were consistent with yours. Uncomfortable, unforgiving.

This new carriage is lovely...that little bead is a gem!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Beautiful!
Frodo lives!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

This is one of the reasons I love this forum - the collective knowledge and learning. I've been working on a sheath myself and had been planning it "long-hunter' style. But now I'm aware of drawbacks that I had never considered before and that there is a better way of going about designing it. Your new sheath looks beautiful. Thanks for posting it!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain