New Knife Sheath

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

New Knife Sheath

Post by Manveruon »

Keeping with my recent trend of new items to refurbish my kit, I made a new sheath for my belt knife tonight, from start to finish!
Made of veg-tan leather and dyed with Eco-Flo Gel Antique in their dark brown color. I’m afraid I rushed it a bit and didn’t Allow it to fully dry during the dying process, or buff it enough between coats, and therefore the faux-antique quality of the stain didn’t really Come out, but in the end I quite like the color. All of the tooled designs were done freehand, and basically made up on the spot, drawing inspiration in large part from the design aesthetic of Cedarlore Forge.
This was my first time making a knife sheath, and I definitely learned a few things in the process. For one, the leather stretched a bit during the wet-forming process, and therefore didn’t really hug the knife tight enough to keep it snugly in the sheath - and the whole reason I set out to make this was because the sheath I bought with the knife had stretched out with use and no longer held it snugly, so that was kind of an important part of the build. To combat this I added a small extra row of Stitches at the top, which did accomplish what I was hoping it would, but ended up being a bit TOO snug, so I had to stretch it out a bit afterwards. Also, these stitches don’t have the spacer strip of leather that sit’s in the center of the main seam I’m a little concerned that they therefore may get too much contact from the blade upon sheathing and unsheathing, causing me to have to replace them over time, but we’ll see.

Anyway, this one is done, and now on to the next project! :lol:
1C548712-00F4-4956-8249-94D3A5A1884D.jpeg
1C548712-00F4-4956-8249-94D3A5A1884D.jpeg (227.69 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
BF398AE1-3260-45FC-BA49-FFE9EB545BDF.jpeg
BF398AE1-3260-45FC-BA49-FFE9EB545BDF.jpeg (229.72 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: New Knife Sheath

Post by Ghostsoldier »

That's impressively beautiful, Michael! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Do you ever sleep man? I haven't even had a chance to post on your boots yet and here you are with another finished project.

This is really nice, simple, well executed and like all your gear it looks completely servicable.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that's lovely - I adore the carving!

... how does it fasten to your belt, may I ask?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Elleth wrote:Oh that's lovely - I adore the carving!

Ditto ditto, and what do you use to tool your designs?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice work :P your tooling designs look great
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Asbjorn
Dúnadan

Post by Asbjorn »

Nice work :) I especially like the star design.
"Few now remember them... yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless." Tom Bombadil on Rangers
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Beautiful. I second Udwin & Elleth, pics of the back & and tooling details please!
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks folks!
Eofor wrote:Do you ever sleep man? I haven't even had a chance to post on your boots yet and here you are with another finished project.

This is really nice, simple, well executed and like all your gear it looks completely servicable.
Haha, it does really seem I’ve been kind of cranking this stuff out lately, right? :lol:
Mostly I’m just trying really hard to get my kit back into shape so I can maybe do ONE single hike this year before all the fall leaves are gone. We’ll see if I actually succeed in that, but at the moment at least all of my essentials are wearable! This was the last necessary piece that wasn’t quite done, and I’m itching to get back on the trail. I still have a bunch of other things on my agenda, but they’re mostly of a lower priority.
Udwin wrote:
Elleth wrote:Oh that's lovely - I adore the carving!

Ditto ditto, and what do you use to tool your designs?
So the tooling was all done completely freehand with an edge-groover and a two-ended metal stylus from Tandy (one end has a ball point and the other a slightly finer point, although I have dropped it a couple times, so the fine point is no longer very smooth and I probably need to replace it).

Here are a couple pics of the old sheath compared to the new one to give an idea of the design I used as a basis, and you can also see the different types of belt straps. I decided to simplify the new one a bit and not use the loop design from the original, which will hopefully help it lay a bit more snugly against my side.
Attachments
9BD55A42-46DA-437F-A6CE-CD475D70B963.jpeg
9BD55A42-46DA-437F-A6CE-CD475D70B963.jpeg (149.68 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
21889567-5E8B-47E3-880B-A95B12345481.jpeg
21889567-5E8B-47E3-880B-A95B12345481.jpeg (140.67 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome. :P
Frodo lives!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

That looks great! I'm going to be in the same boat soon as a friend just gifted a new knife to me sans sheath. I figure making a sheath would be a good re-entry into the ol' leatherworking. I just might "borrow" a few ideas from you. Very nicely done!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Cimrandir wrote:That looks great! I'm going to be in the same boat soon as a friend just gifted a new knife to me sans sheath. I figure making a sheath would be a good re-entry into the ol' leatherworking. I just might "borrow" a few ideas from you. Very nicely done!
Thanks! Borrow away, good sir! I eagerly await your project! :)