Elder Cane Spice Bottles

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Elder Cane Spice Bottles

Post by SierraStrider »

In my post on making an elder cane needle case, I mentioned that this technique could be good for other small containers, such as spice bottles. Well, I did it.

These have a few advantages over glass bottles--first, authenticity. While the very twee little bottles I got don't stick out too badly in my kit, these all-wood bottles hold up far better to close scrutiny than perfectly clearr, perfectly cylindrical soda glass. Second, I usually store my spices with my food, and those bottles make me nervous. Glass shards in my oats is a little more piquant than I'm looking for in the morning.

The downside, of course, is that the cylinders are opaque, which makes it a lot harder to tell what's in them...so I had to label them! I decided on Cirth, it being much easier to execute with a woodburner. "Salt" was easy--sing in Sindarin. Other spices required some creativity. There's no extant Sindarin word for tarragon, but another common term for the herb is dragon, which translates quite easily. Likewise, there's no extant word for the culinary sage, but there is one for lore-master.
Trans-lingual puns are the best puns.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Elder Cane Spice Bottles

Post by Iodo »

Nice work :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Really cool. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I love everything about this!
I'm so tempted to try something like this myself, but alas I don't know what I would use them for, as I rarely carry spices when trekking.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Manveruon wrote:I love everything about this!
I'm so tempted to try something like this myself, but alas I don't know what I would use them for, as I rarely carry spices when trekking.
One other thing that they could be useful for is tinder. Fully waxed, with a waxed, friction-fit stopper, these seem unexpectedly watertight. They'd probably do quite well to keep damp from a small supply of char-fiber.
Will o’ the Wild
Wayfarer

Post by Will o’ the Wild »

They look like they would be fairly water resistant at least. That could be handy.
The Riff Wizard
Wayfarer

Post by The Riff Wizard »

These are very cool! I like the woodburning work especially. How big are the bottles and how much do they hold?
“He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved.”
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

They're each about 4" (10cm) long by ½" (13mm) in diameter. The internal volume is a little more than 4ml, or right around a teaspoon...which is not a ton.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Very nice! Spices are wonderful on the trail and that seems a practical way to carry them.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote:Very nice! Spices are wonderful on the trail
They can make a mediocre meal great, as our cook I always throw some fresh herbs in my food bag.

Although I live by the adage that hunger makes the best sauce.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.