WETA Strider's bedroll

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: WETA Strider's bedroll

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:51 am One of them stated 'LARP people spend stupidly large amounts of money, they don't seem to balk at anything'

the LARP scene must have changed quite a bit then, I haven't been involved in LARP since I was in high-school but I remember it being a lot of thrift shopping, dumpster diving, foam, glue guns and paint. No one had any money but we sure would make stuff that looked cool anyway, between that and cosplay (with a similar approach) is how I learned crafting
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Eofor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:51 am I was at an event this weekend and talking to a fair few well established traders who I have known for years, they're all getting out of reenactment gear because they can make ten times as much off LARP gear.
One of them stated 'LARP people spend stupidly large amounts of money, they don't seem to balk at anything'
Dave Roper of Ganderwick creations seems to be going down the same path, I tried to get a quote for the fittings for my new historical sword and couldn't raise a reply but he is turning out large amounts of (amazing but expensive) LARP gear.

Perhaps that is what we are seeing here alongside a rise in social media and image based influencing? In a recent post on one of the facebook groups a fellow asked about a cloak and while there were a few smatterings of advice from old hands there was a chorus of 'Fell and fair'.
Now compared to the alternative of going and doing your research, buying material and learning to sew, the option to just click buy now on a shop with amazing photos must be enticing to a new hobbyist.
That’s both sad and interesting. Sad to lose master craftsmen so skilled in historical reproduction. Interesting though to see a new wave of larping gear (I would assume) filtered through a historical lens versus a generic sort of “fantasy.”

I remember the Facebook thread you’re speaking of and I agree that it’s weird that the go-to answer was to simply purchase something. Before I throw stones through my glass house, yes I did in fact just buy my new cloak. My only defense being that a rectangular cloak with fringes is so simple that it makes just as much sense and less hassle to buy rather than make. Plus, I wanted that particular fabric.

But that aside, as you say a cloak is one of the simplest bits of garb one can make. There’s a thousand different threads on this very forum (not to mention others) about patterns and how to sew and how to make a cloak. It would be sad to lose that sense of self-reliance and craftsmanship in order to just purchase someone else’s product. I can only hope that those that are interested in going deeper use it as a springboard for eventually going further on their own. Even if it’s a first attempt using second-hand fabric or leather, y’know? Doesn’t need to be perfect right off the bat.

I’ve bought my cloak as I said above. I’m waffling between making or purchasing a tunic. (I’m thinking about doing a copy of the Bernuthsfeld or the Guddal tunic and those necklines scare me as a novice.) I’ll be purchasing a pair of turn shoes at the first as my leatherworking skills aren’t quite there yet but I fully intend to use them (once they wear out) as a guide to make a pair of my own. But everything else - trousers, hat, under-tunic, belt, etc - I plan on making myself. Honestly, it’s one of the reasons I’m so interested in this hobby. It gives me an excuse to learn how to make things myself and teach myself new skills.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I don't think there's any shame in buying kit, especially once you hit that point in your life when time is by far your most precious, limited resource. Better to buy a few nice pieces than spend all the year in blue jeans. :mrgreen:

... though there's no feeling quite like being in the forest knowing every single stitch on your body you did yourself. It's strange when it hits you, but really primal/cool.

Once I had a really nice long campfire talk, and the question came up - why do we do this kind of thing?

The answer boiled down to "becoming more human."

There's a deep sense of rootedness and connection I think we're all missing in the workaday world, and filling one's world with the creations of oneself and one's friends helps salve that wound. Home and community handwork has been part of the physical/social environment most people have experienced for most of human history anyhow - it only makes sense going without it would feel strange on a gut level.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:39 pm It would be sad to lose that sense of self-reliance and craftsmanship in order to just purchase someone else’s product. I
Unfortunately I have one great skill and it is to find others to make things for me. I know it's a cop out, I do all my own woodworking and a lot of other projects but at the end of the day I look at the level of quality I need for my portrayal and calculate the cost of the hours to get good enough at even one of the skills PLUS the cost in crap version before I made something passable.

I'm afraid even though sometimes it's expensive the balance sheet for me comes out on the side of the professional. I'm not ashamed of it, it's just what has to be done. Even the cloak debate, for me to buy fully plant dyed, hand woven wool and have it shipped to Australia costs a lot. Too much to then subject it to my crappy stitching.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Elleth wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:02 pm ... I see all of a sudden (I think?) a number of renditions on Etsy, including one by our own Owl! :mrgreen:

I'm not planning on anything to my own queue, but I'm curious. Did new pictures of the WETA prop start circulating recently? Or is this just a case of a number of crafters following a general trend?
Oh hey!

Mine actually came about after I was comissioned to make a reasonably affordable replica of the screen used one (possibly inspired by the price of the svetily sudar (Sp?) Version, but I didn't ask.)

The one I have for sale now is the improved one I designed while patterning out the movie version. I opted for waxed canvas instead of leather for the ground cloth (depending on the angle you look at, I'm tempted to claim that the movie one was some sort of oilcloth as well) I also made the ground cloth full length and integrated a "pillow" section at the top that also works as a pocket when everything is rolled up.

I made the improved one for my own personal use and just threw it up on my site not really knowing if anyone would be interested and as it turns out people are VERY interested. My entire day in the shop tomorrow is dedicated to filling bedroll orders. Did not expect that.

As for the fell and fair/larp clothing discussion; I also watched them go from the small group that basically just took cool photos and then slowly started selling a few clothing items to now having a full line of clothing, armor, and shoes, and hosting huge events. Honestly, good for them. They've found their groove and they've evolved and grown and people like it.

From a business perspective, I wouldn't say larpers have more money than they know what to do with, but there are a lot more of them popping up every day. The reenactment community has always been a bit more niche and veers more towards handmade or made by their trusted sources. It definitely makes more business sense to appeal to the people who are new to the game and don't have the skill or resources to handstitch an entire kit but want to get out there. I try to offer something for everyone in my shop, but for every wool Bocksten cloak I sell, I sell 20 linen hooded cloaks. I'm not mad about it at all. I'm proud to help people get started on their journey. Hopefully most of those 20 will grow and evolve and be handmaking their own gear in a few years
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh.

That's crazy - congratulations!!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

theowl wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:17 am I try to offer something for everyone in my shop, but for every wool Bocksten cloak I sell, I sell 20 linen hooded cloaks. I'm not mad about it at all. I'm proud to help people get started on their journey. Hopefully most of those 20 will grow and evolve and be handmaking their own gear in a few years
A fantastic attitude, I know that my own first forays into historical clothing were not much chop! We all must start somewhere.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

theowl wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:17 am
Elleth wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:02 pm ... I see all of a sudden (I think?) a number of renditions on Etsy, including one by our own Owl! :mrgreen:

I'm not planning on anything to my own queue, but I'm curious. Did new pictures of the WETA prop start circulating recently? Or is this just a case of a number of crafters following a general trend?
Oh hey!

Mine actually came about after I was comissioned to make a reasonably affordable replica of the screen used one (possibly inspired by the price of the svetily sudar (Sp?) Version, but I didn't ask.)

The one I have for sale now is the improved one I designed while patterning out the movie version. I opted for waxed canvas instead of leather for the ground cloth (depending on the angle you look at, I'm tempted to claim that the movie one was some sort of oilcloth as well) I also made the ground cloth full length and integrated a "pillow" section at the top that also works as a pocket when everything is rolled up.

I made the improved one for my own personal use and just threw it up on my site not really knowing if anyone would be interested and as it turns out people are VERY interested. My entire day in the shop tomorrow is dedicated to filling bedroll orders. Did not expect that.

As for the fell and fair/larp clothing discussion; I also watched them go from the small group that basically just took cool photos and then slowly started selling a few clothing items to now having a full line of clothing, armor, and shoes, and hosting huge events. Honestly, good for them. They've found their groove and they've evolved and grown and people like it.

From a business perspective, I wouldn't say larpers have more money than they know what to do with, but there are a lot more of them popping up every day. The reenactment community has always been a bit more niche and veers more towards handmade or made by their trusted sources. It definitely makes more business sense to appeal to the people who are new to the game and don't have the skill or resources to handstitch an entire kit but want to get out there. I try to offer something for everyone in my shop, but for every wool Bocksten cloak I sell, I sell 20 linen hooded cloaks. I'm not mad about it at all. I'm proud to help people get started on their journey. Hopefully most of those 20 will grow and evolve and be handmaking their own gear in a few years

I've been following your Instagram feed and I really like seeing all the different things you've been working on and I think the bedroll is probably up toward the top for a favorite. The one with the blue wool interior was very cool. I wasn't aware of the integrated pillow which is really neat.

You've got a good point regarding where reenactors and LARPing source their kit from as they build it. I know I'm still learning where to find good trusted sources and I imagine I'll still be learning for quite a while. It's not an easy thing to just jump into immediately. There's definitely a space for people looking to upgrade their gear without having to commission a master metalsmith or what-have-you and wait a few years for perfection. Heck, I'd say you're already a step beyond that middle spot by using properly tanned leather and real wool. Plus using an actual historical pattern with the Bocksten? Pure awesome-sauce.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

theowl wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:17 am
I was scrolling Etsy last night and yours popped up in my feed as a suggestion. It's a seriously nicely done bit of kit, not at all surprised to see you swamped with orders.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Thanks to you both! I definitely try to keep everything looking cool, but functionality is #1. The integrated pillow was something I came up with when I had nothing tonrest my head on while field testing the prototype. It doubling as a pocket when it's rolled up was a happy accident.