Bota bag/waterskin/wineskin without plastic?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Bota bag/waterskin/wineskin without plastic?

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Has anyone found anywhere to buy, or directions to make, a bota bag (wineskin/waterskin) that doesn't contain a y plastic or other modern material treatments (like neoprene, yuck)? I don't mean a hard leather water bottle, but specifically a soft leather bota bag?

I'm down to craft one, or even buy one, but I can't find any that aren't all plastic or modern goo.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Bota bag/waterskin/wineskin without plastic?

Post by Elleth »

Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

I saw that thread but it seems more concerned with the mouthpiece. I'd like to find a non plastic bladder, but I have no idea how one does that.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

sorry about that - I moved my reply to the original thread for benefit of future searchers -

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4143&p=52699#p52699

but basically if you want a traditional waterskin (or if someone finds this thread and the Spanish Door is no longer in business), you're looking for a pitch-lined bota.
googling around for things like "pitch" "pine pitch" "traditional" and "bota" should point you in the right direction. At least as of 2022, the only makers I know of are in Spain.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.