someone has been watching....

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

someone has been watching....

Post by Elleth »

I thought you guys would get a kick out of this to -

Epic Armoury "Ranger" LARP sword:
LP442414_2_l.jpg
LP442414_2_l.jpg (88.31 KiB) Viewed 13182 times
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=LP442414

That hilt look familiar?

I think the Bristol trend Greg has started has taken root in the outside world. :)
Last edited by Elleth on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: someone has been watching....

Post by Elleth »

Interestingly, there's also a steel version, albeit under a different name from a different maker:

15th Century Arming Sword - AH4241F
AH4241F_5_l.jpg
AH4241F_5_l.jpg (64.88 KiB) Viewed 13181 times
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH4241F

Same Bristol-ish pommel, same WETA Strider crosspiece.

I honestly think it looks kinda clunky, but I've little doubt that the "Bristol swords are ranger swords" concept started here. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Cool, that's a nice LARP sword, looks to me like someone somewhere has been observant :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I think Manveruon might be more to blame than me the more I think of it. There are a lot more quality photos of him with his Bristol than me, and a lot of them pop up on google with basic Google searches. Most of my better photos have happened post-custom.

Either way, we done good!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

All of those design elements exist in other swords, but putting them together like that can't possibly be a coincidence.. And yeah, that steel one is made by Deepeeka, so it is undoubtedly clunky
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:I honestly think it looks kinda clunky, but I've little doubt that the "Bristol swords are ranger swords" concept started here. :)
Oh, wow, yeah that's clunky. A type XII blade (i.e. viking erta) with a 15th c. inspired handle.

Pretty handle though.

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

HAH! Well if this isn't the darndest thing!

Incidentally, I had noticed the "Ranger" LARP sword from Epic Armoury, and it definitely didn't escape my attention that it looked an awful lot like the Valiant Bristol with a Weta Strider cross-guard - but for whatever reason I hadn't really considered the possibility (probability?) that my own exploits may have been partially responsible! And of course it really does all come back to Greg showing me his own Bristol when he came through CO back in 2016! I absolutely fell in love with the sword then, and I haven't regretted my purchase for an instant. In my mind it's still very nearly the ideal Dunedain sidearm (or at least, for my purposes - Elleth, the two you now have in your possession are seriously INCREDIBLE, and I'm CRAZY jealous of that new one).

But yeah, hah! That's absolutely hilarious! And what's perhaps even more amusing is that I have been seriously considering getting one of those Epic Armoury numbers for myself - particularly should I ever manage to get off my butt and actually make it out to Fell and Fair's Weekend Warrior event in SC - which would be sort of fitting, don't you think? The whole thing would kind of come full-circle then, haha!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains