The Sword Beneath the Cloak (Odigan work)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Loneken

Re: The Sword Beneath the Cloak (Odigan work)

Post by Loneken »

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I came across this and I find this ranger sword outstanding! Exactly how I would envision a ranger sword in fact.. I happened to have just acquired a Windlass Type XIV so I'm looking into a similar conversion, this is great inspiration.

Was there any work done on the blade itself in terms of weight or finish?

Thanks!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That would be a question for Odigan, who (in the event he doesn't see this thread) can be reached via facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/Meuleurgy/

It's absolutely a heck of a lot sharper than it was from the factory, but I don't know what else he's done to it.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

..... and WOOOO! After way too long, I can finally get this thing out in the forest!

I started a new job not long ago, and was able to splurge on a proper scabbard -
merf-sword-scabbard.jpg
merf-sword-scabbard.jpg (179.39 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
The Saxon-style covered bridge was... I won't say an impulse decision exactly, but just a vague gut sense rooted in the same early-medieval aesthetic that informed the hilting. I don't know yet exactly how I'm going to lace the thing onto a belt - any suggestions?
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Lovely simple elegance Elleth.

Belt or baldric? Fixed or removable?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That looks lovely :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thank you!

... the video is helpful, and youTube thankfully suggested another Tod Cutler video of belt wrapping, so that's a good start.

Eofor - I'm thinking belt rather than baldric, just to cut down on the number of shoulder straps - though it would be nice if it was long enough to just throw over the shoulder in a hurry (shades of the Bayeaux archer there!)
I do think fixed to the strap rather than (easily) removable. Certainly no fancy hardware, just leather knotting of some kind I think. I could imagine just threading a belt through the bridge, around the body, and back through the bridge again, which would be nice and simple. On the other hand a bit of strap braiding might be enough for the familiar-yet-not-quite-historical vibe that makes a lot of our stuff sing. So I don't know.
Last edited by Elleth on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Lovely...turned out very nice!

You might just take a belt you already have, for starters, and try passing it through the bridge, around the scabbard, and back through again. The added friction of the double wrap/X-over may hold it pretty firmly in place from the get-go. Can't hurt to try, and you don't have to waste anything in trying it out.

Edit: Clearly I didn't read your last response...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Looks great Elleth!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Elleth wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:16 pm Certainly no fancy hardware, just leather knotting of some kind I think. I could imagine just threading a belt through the bridge, around the body, and back through the bridge again, which would be nice and simple. On the other hand a bit of strap braiding might be enough for the familiar-yet-not-quite-historical vibe that makes a lot of our stuff sing. So I don't know.
I wouldn't over complicate it then and just trial it with the simple method you described above. If that doesn't work or you have too much movement then perhaps a tail strap may work. Likewise Abb. 5 in the PDF above would let you do some organic decorative scabbard bosses - bone or antler domes engraved with stars would look rather amazing.
https://www.academia.edu/18468185/AK_4_ ... wk0L7N4a7s
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hrm... I couldn't get a belt to fit, but I got some of the leather left over from making pack straps to work -
merf-ranger-sword-scabbard-strap.jpg
merf-ranger-sword-scabbard-strap.jpg (54.59 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
Knotting it on it feels decent enough. Walp, I've got a good enough answer for now. To the woods! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's actually REALLY cool looking!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Absolutely loving this! I never got the chance to comment on the original sword post because I think I was in one of my off-the-forum bouts, but it’s just absolutely STUNNING, and this seems like a great system!
Also, I very much appreciate this comment in particular:
Elleth wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:16 pm On the other hand a bit of strap braiding might be enough for the familiar-yet-not-quite-historical vibe that makes a lot of our stuff sing.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

So I'm just now getting around to actually commenting on this but wow, Elleth, your sword is incredible. It's a real beauty and frankly, a real inspiration for me. The line "This feels like a brawler's weapon - not something intended for deeds of song on a bright sunlit battle plain, but rather for the chaotic frenzy under dark trees when fell things draw close" is so perfect and sums up so much of a Ranger beyond their sword. I hadn't intended on Cimrandir having a sword but dangit, now I want one. The blending of different time-periods in the hardware is excellently done so kudos to Odigan! That sheath is a real beauty as well. Altogether, it's probably one of my favorite "artifacts" that's come out of this forum.

Honestly, I'm probably going to draw a lot from this sword whenever I have the time and money to get one of my own. I'm currently thinking an Oakeshott type XIa would fit the bill and fit my longer arms and taller body a bit better than the XIV. Maybe a bit shorter than the average 30" (29"? 28"?) to keep that stabby, good-in-the-wilderness length. Or really, maybe stick with the XIV? Don’t fix what ain’t broke.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain