Thoughts on Boar Spears?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Thoughts on Boar Spears?

Post by Jack »

Iodo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:54 am Hmmm... interesting, I didn't know this but my theory was always that they were territorial and I had wandered into there territory or something?
I think the jury is still out on weather Eurasian boar or feral pigs definitively establish territories or not but that could very well have been the case. They seem pretty nomadic here in the southern US but that could be the result of hunting pressure and encroachment as they are an invasive and unprotected species. I'd imagine if they aren't hunted and an area had sufficient resources they may very well begin to establish territories. You may have also come across them during their rut during which they are notably more belligerent.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Jack wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:37 am You may have also come across them during their rut during which they are notably more belligerent.
I don't know much about them but it was at the beginning of February

I'm getting conscious of how much I have derailed the thread here, sorry all...
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Jack

Post by Jack »

No no it's my fault. Sorry folks.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Iodo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:18 pm
Jack wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:37 am You may have also come across them during their rut during which they are notably more belligerent.

I don't think either you or Jack derailed the tread. It's posts like yours' that brings home just how dangerous certain animals and circumstances can be.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:54 am Hmmm... interesting, I didn't know this but my theory was always that they were territorial and I had wandered into there territory or something?
Never discount the possibility that you just encountered a particularly grumpy specimen of a particular animal. I'm sure we all have anecdotes of a normally placid animal going out of it's way to randomly aggro us.

Though much smaller, bees fall into that category, sometimes you just get an angry old girl that doesn't like the look of you.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

very true
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Nahhh, no de-railment here. I think with what, 30ish? less? active members at any given time we're small enough to withstand a little meandering in the topics. I, for one, love hearing everyone's stories. Boars are cool!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Ha Ha, glad I haven't caused any offence :P
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:36 pm

Nahhh, no de-railment here. I think with what, 30ish? less? active members at any given time we're small enough to withstand a little meandering in the topics. I, for one, love hearing everyone's stories. Boars are cool!
Well if the general consensus is that we've done no harm then I should add that peak rut is November to January but can range from October to as late as May so February sounds about right.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Jack wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:25 pm Well if the general consensus is that we've done no harm then I should add that peak rut is November to January but can range from October to as late as May so February sounds about right.

That's actually really interesting to know, thanks :P in future I'll try to avoid leaving the path/going too close to wild boar during those times

I have only found myself in the forest of Dean in the summer since that time five years ago, I guess that might be one of the reasons why I haven't had any more recent issues with wild boar, that and also I am now much more careful
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:05 pm That's actually really interesting to know, thanks :P in future I'll try to avoid leaving the path/going too close to wild boar during those times

I have only found myself in the forest of Dean in the summer since that time five years ago, I guess that might be one of the reasons why I haven't had any more recent issues with wild boar, that and also I am now much more careful
As a Ranger, it's my nature to go into the wild. If I were to encounter a boar... well, I keep a supply of spices with me.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.