Abrecan the breaker - Red sword of vengeance.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Abrecan the breaker - Red sword of vengeance.

Post by Eofor »

Here is the red sword of vengeance which the saga of Eofor tells us he wielded in his final fight.

That is a story for another day but nonetheless I wanted to share with you all my new sword, a living history masterpiece by some of the best people in the field today. It is probably a bit too fine for traipsing through the woods though it will be frequently worn and displayed not just hung on a shelf, I do hope you enjoy it.

The goal behind this sword was to create an average 7th century Anglo Saxon sword and for this I used the data from the 64 blades sampled in the Sword in Anglo Saxon England. Finding an average blade length was 777.5mm and average width of 51mm, the plan was to forge around that target with a lenticular blade in the second most commonly found pattern (AHS)

The fittings were chosen from the vast array found in the Staffordshire hoard and consist of pommel cap 46, hilt plates 280 and 281 and rivets 629. Collar 172 was also added to this assembly.

The grip and guards are made of cow horn which again was overwhelmingly preferred by the Anglo Saxons with only 4 wooden sword grips having been discovered.

Finally the fleece lined wooden scabbard which features one of the few surviving designs from the period, a find from Charlton Plantation extrapolated into a larger design to incorporate the Tiw arrow.

Two scabbard bosses from the hoard (582/583) mounted onto bone discs allow the baldric to be taken on and off the sword, and a replica of the Taplow buckle and sword pyramids from Finglesham Grave 58 finish off the assemblage.
Last edited by Eofor on Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: The red sword of vengeance.

Post by Iodo »

WOW! That truly is a work of art :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: The red sword of vengeance.

Post by Eofor »

This new sword was inspired by the inscribed section of gold cross found alongside it’s fittings in the Staffordshire Hoard. The cross is engraved with a bible verse in Latin - 'Surge Domine disepentur inimici tui et fugent qui oderunt te a facie tua' which translates to 'Arise O Lord, and may your enemies be torn apart and those who hate you will flee from your face'

Abrecan is an Old English verb which means, take by storm, capture, violate, or destroy. Considering the verse above it seemed like something the original bearer of such a sword may have named it, the tool by which he would tear apart the enemies of his faith. It is not an unfitting name for the sword of Eofor.

I believe in telling a whole story and not just the glorious weapon part of it and so to accompany the sword I commissioned a scribe to work with quill, vellum and traditional pigments to recreate that original Latin verse in the Book of Kells insular style.
I hope that you enjoy it as much as the sword.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Abrecan the breaker - Red sword of vengeance.

Post by Iodo »

this just gets even better :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Poetry. Pure poetry.

You've made a gift for the ages, Eofor.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Impressive.

Very impressive.

It looks like a masterpiece.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

That is absolutely amazing.
Frodo lives!
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Now that is the gift of a prince.

A truly gorgeous pattern weld, looks like a stream with eddies in it

I really like the Peace-bond, thats a fine weave in anyones book and the two 'globe' mounts set it off to a Tee.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Magnificent. Awe-inspiring if I'm being honest. The verse in vellum really takes up another level if I'm being honest. Congratulations on a beautiful new piece of history!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Thats a beautiful blade! Even the belt is art. I would love to hear the story behind her. And I bet Eofor's last stand is truly epic; a tale from old like that of Helm Hammerhand.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Thanks everyone, it's been so rewarding watching all the individual craftspeople contribute and work on this and genuinely a privilege to own it.

I'm glad you enjoyed the vellum too, next step is to build it a secure chest with a proper replica lock.
Togon wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:19 am Thats a beautiful blade! Even the belt is art. I would love to hear the story behind her. And I bet Eofor's last stand is truly epic; a tale from old like that of Helm Hammerhand.
It's forming now but I just need the last few pieces to tell the tale.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Stunning piece of work. So glad it's in your hands.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.