Review: Albion Crecy

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

Review: Albion Crecy

Post by mcapanelli »

I’ve been interested in the Albion Crecy ever since I held one at he NY Blade Show a few years back. At the time I had a CF Borderwatch on order with a Crecy blade so I didn’t bother ordering one. When this one came up in the classifieds I knew it was time to take the plunge and finally own a Crecy of my own.

Historical overview

This sword is a type XVIa, which Oakeshott describes like so;

“Type XVIa has a long, rather slowly tapering blade, broad at the hilt and often with a reinforced point. The fuller is often well-marked, extending about 1/3 (rarely more than half) of the blade's length. The lower part is not of diamond but of flat, hexagonal section. The hilt is long, 6" to 9" like the XIIIa and XVa, allowing for a two-handed grip.”

This sword, a subtype of XVI, would have seen service in the 14th century and developed as a response to the increasing use of plate armor on the battlefield.

Full Disclosure

I purchased this sword on the second hand market. I am in no way affiliated with Albion or any of their retailers and paid fair market price for my sword.

IMG_4296.jpg
IMG_4296.jpg (49.54 KiB) Viewed 10577 times
IMG_4292.jpg
IMG_4292.jpg (79.26 KiB) Viewed 10577 times
IMG_4284.jpg
IMG_4284.jpg (113.16 KiB) Viewed 10577 times
Last edited by mcapanelli on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winter is coming