Crafting 100 - Show and tell thread

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Crafting 100 - Show and tell thread

Post by Eofor »

It struck me that whenever I think of a new idea and search on here I see that it’s often been done and to a fantastic standard using an idea or technique I wouldn’t have thought of. Which shouldn’t be a surprise as we have some incredibly talented people on this forum.
Lately I have been completing a few long overdue projects. I’ll admit to being disproportionately proud of seeing the way my skills have grown over the years.
To that end I’m inviting you all to post the crafted item which (currently) has filled you with the most pride. It may not be the shiniest, newest, most expensive or even the nicest but that's what I would like to see and if you wouldn’t mind a brief description of why it’s your favorite thing.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: Crafting 100 - Show and tell thread

Post by Eofor »

I’ll start things off with the chest that inspired me to start this thread. In itself it isn’t the most complicated thing I have ever made but what makes me so proud is the growth in my ability since I made my last one around 8 years ago.
From start to finish making this one felt smooth, the boards were all cut by hand and fit perfectly without adjustment (I used to have to sand and plane to get things square and often had large gaps anyway) The fittings went on without a hitch and it took barely a day to put together. It’s difficult to put into words the feeling of satisfaction when everything just works.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow it's beautiful, Eofor!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I love that, it looks amazing :P

and cool thread idea, I'll have to give some thought about what I can add to it, are you intending the items here to be middle earth/historic or just anything?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Taylor Steiner wrote:Wow it's beautiful, Eofor!
Thanks Taylor, it will be replacing the big ugly chest in photo three. I have fittings for two more so watch this space!
Iodo wrote:I love that, it looks amazing :P

and cool thread idea, I'll have to give some thought about what I can add to it, are you intending the items here to be middle earth/historic or just anything?
Thanks Iodo, I think that given the nature of the forum it'd be great to see your ME/Historical stuff but if you've made something else that uses similar skills? Then let's see it :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very cool! A few years back I tried to make a sewing box on that "viking sea chest" pattern, but never got the boards to line up right. I admire your talent!!

Regarding favorite projects, they've all been result of heavy heavy collaboration, so I can't take more than partial credit. One of my two favorites is the Breelands penny:

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =39&t=4371

Things that really worked:
- changing up the digital file to use a small number of virtual "punchmarks" to make up the image. That one simple change made the final product a *lot* better.
- working with a professional to cut the die instead of trying to learn a whole new art myself. I'd have still *preferred* the latter, but... time. They'd still not be done if I went that route.

Lessons learned:
- complex collaborations take a lot of time especially since we're all doing this in our spare time. This project was *years* from start to finish.
Also be prepared for your partner to fall of the edge of the earth and start ghosting you. It's possible you lose a deposit not out of malice but simple disorganization: garage craftsmen can not infrequently get themselves into trouble taking on too many commissions, living on deposits- then having to go back to their day job and never getting enough free time to catch up. Try to pick someone with a good track record - and even then you can get burned.

The other real standout was Elenglin:

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =28&t=3983

My part was pretty much entirely the linguistic research, and like with the penny project took an absolutely insane amount of time combing niche websites for Sindarin grammar tips. Again: months until I was content with the translation. The crafting though is all Odigan, and he is extraordinary!!

Things that worked / lessons learned:
- Odigan is just a master. I'm constantly amazed at what he pulled off
- Custom shapeways furniture is "a long run for a short slide" - I'm glad I did it once, and it was *very* educational - but I don't know as I'd go that way again. This is another place working with a pro craftsman would have been a faster/cheaper/more authentic approach, at least in the short run.

If I've got any particular advice, it's:
=====================================
- you can learn to do just about anything, but you can't do everything: don't be afraid to buddy up for an awesome collaboration. (Conversely, picking one thing to get REALLY REALLY GOOD at does worlds for your batering ability. )
- do *something* to move things forward every day. It doesn't have to be big: just a couple stitches, or a couple sketches, or a bit of reading. Always be trying to learn *one* thing to get better, everything you do.
- understand going in some things are going to take a while, and the really awesome things are going to take a *long* while unless you're fortunate enough to just throw scads and scads of money and/or time at them.
- don't get so distracted with crafting you forget to enjoy the woods! :mrgreen:

Complete "best ofs"
=============================================
Mess kit:
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =27&t=3867

Pouch:
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =27&t=4090

Byknife:
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =27&t=3961

Quiver:
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =27&t=3749

Burden straps:
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =27&t=4080

Long knapsack:
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =27&t=4081

Tarp:
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =27&t=3866
Last edited by Elleth on Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Wow, you went all out on the "show and tell" Elleth :lol: impressive stuff :mrgreen:

My (not quite finished) tinderbox: https://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.o ... f=5&t=4446 is probably the thing I'm second most proud of this year, I started making this after I made a wooden D&D dice tray, and then (because I'd successfully made a "rectangle with some leather in") decided I must be a carpentry genius who could make anything - I soon I found out this was not so, and that my design was a whole lot harder to put together than I thought it would be, but I stuck with it and eventually it worked :P

then I commissioned this beauty from Odigan to go with it:

The thing I'm most proud of is my gift exchange item, you'll have to wait to see that :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Thanks Iodo and Elleth that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to see.
Elleth wrote: - understand going in some things are going to take a while, and the really awesome things are going to take a *long* while unless you're fortunate enough to just throw scads and scads of money and/or time at them.
Your whole write up rang true for me Elleth but this bit here I think is important. It's the same with a complete kit, it's going to take a long time and be an evolving process. So much of what I'm doing now is just upgrades and replacements of things I half committed to or didn't have the skills to do properly in the first place. Not ONE of my 'that'll do' items has ever 'done' :mrgreen:
I love all the examples you posted but I am especially covetous of your cooking pot. Brilliant.
Iodo wrote: I must be a carpentry genius who could make anything - I soon I found out this was not so, and that my design was a whole lot harder to put together than I thought it would be, but I stuck with it and eventually it worked :P
I think we've experienced that moment lol. But you seem to have come good on your intentions, better than a lot of my oh no moments. I like the simple understated decoration and that the box looks sturdy enough to last a lifetime of travel.
RangerofAngmar
Wanderer

Post by RangerofAngmar »

Havent got any pictures at the moment, but i am currently;

making a handle for an arming sword, then will have to make the scabbard and decorations

making a sail guard for a sparring dagger

finishing up the set up of my forging area so i can get the forge blasting

make a few more tongs

making a few scabbard for other various swords

make and repair a few shields

clean up and organise my workshop as it is a major mess at the moment

what i have done so far this year is;

Restore and re handle some smithing hammers

made a new hot cut tool

re handle and re profile a few swords

written a few pieces of music that i have to sit down and record

hoping that 2021 is a better year and i can streamline my projects alot better and produce more and of better quality
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

RangerofAngmar wrote:hoping that 2021 is a better year and i can streamline my projects alot better and produce more and of better quality
I think not going backwards this year is as good as going forwards. You wont be alone in not achieving everything you’d hoped or benching plans until next year.
Did you have something you’ve crafted that you are particularly proud of? It doesn’t have to be this year.
RangerofAngmar
Wanderer

Post by RangerofAngmar »

Eofor wrote:
RangerofAngmar wrote:hoping that 2021 is a better year and i can streamline my projects alot better and produce more and of better quality
I think not going backwards this year is as good as going forwards. You wont be alone in not achieving everything you’d hoped or benching plans until next year.
Did you have something you’ve crafted that you are particularly proud of? It doesn’t have to be this year.

i can give the standard answer of 'My Son' thats the one i am most proud of.

but craft wise the last lot of tables i made are pretty damn good