Herbal Medic: A Green Beret's Guide to Emergency Medical Preparedness and Natural First Aid (Book)

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

Herbal Medic: A Green Beret's Guide to Emergency Medical Preparedness and Natural First Aid (Book)

Post by Harper »

---

This book by Sam Coffman just came out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16358 ... g=bcusa-20

Coffman is a former Green Beret Medic, a long time herbalist and runs an Herbalism and Survival School. More than that, he went down to many 3rd World nations as part of relief efforts where he applied his skills clinically. I never met him, but this guy is the real deal.

I have his other book (which was expensive) but think that this new one is more appropriate for people here.

The First Part of the book is described as "Orthodox First Aid" and it is exactly that.

I consider the Second, and particularly the Third, Parts as the heart of this book.

The Second Part is entitled "Herbal First Aid." It deals with how to make herbal medicines and formulas.

The Third Part is called "The Herbal Medic in Action." It is about how to properly use those herbs and formulas in emergency situations. It deals with wounds, burns, bites, etc. But it also deals with things like infections and emergency childbirth.

The Fourth Part is entitled "Materia Medica." Most herbals have this kind of section. He goes over 70 herbs. It is well laid out and includes cautions/contra-indications. Unfortunately, he leaves out one of my favorite herbs which is Oil of Oregano--it is like a medicine chest in a bottle if you know how to use it. But that is not something that you can grow or make here in the States.

I think everybody on the site should have this book in their library--whether your primary interest is Bushcraft, Preparedness or Herbalism. This book is suitable for Beginner or Advanced Herbalist alike. I highly recommend it.
Last edited by Harper on Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: Herbal Medic: A Green Beret's Guide to Emergency Medical Preparedness and Natural First Aid (Book)

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Cool!
Frodo lives!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Herbal Medic: A Green Beret's Guide to Emergency Medical Preparedness and Natural First Aid (Book)

Post by Elleth »

That looks FANTASTIC! I love the "recipe" pages!

This last year I've been growing a bunch of herbs in pots just so I can recognize them at all stages in the wild. Comfrey, yarrow, nettle, etc etc.
It's been a fantastically educational experience, getting to know all our old friends. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.