Autumn 2020 available now!

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Autumn 2020 available now!

Post by Udwin »

The members of the MERS are proud to announce that the latest issue of Edge of the Wild is now available! We are focusing in this issue on the textiles and cultural costumes of Middle-earth, as well as the decisions that our members make to create a realistic Outer Persona in a setting that never actually...happened. We also have unveiled our Membership Tiers, for those of you looking to level up your reenacting and join us in the future.
Check it out by direct PDF download HERE, or you can browse this and past issues on the Newsletters section of our website. Please share freely among your circles, consider joining our subscription mailing list, and give us a like on Facebook and Instagram. Enjoy reading!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Autumn 2020 available now!

Post by Darnokthemage »

Yum!
Lots of great stuff in here, on the topic of cloaks (as i posted on facebook) the Roman paenula cloak and hood gives us a perfect garment to base the Ithilien Ranger cloaks on. Likely developing from a pan-Dunnic (breeman dunlander etc) version of it, the cloak would have been adapted in both Numenorean Kingdoms. The breelander version might perhaps have developed into a more "medieval" version, sporting a seperate hood and buttons.
Artist, larper and history lover.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Can't wait to read it tonight - thank you guys!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
The Riff Wizard
Wayfarer

Post by The Riff Wizard »

Excellent and informative newsletter! The write-up on the Dúnedain kit was especially helpful to me. Good work!
“He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved.”
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Well done as always!
Frodo lives!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haven’t perused the entire thing yet, but I can already tell this one is going to be of special interest to me, thanks!

Incidentally, looking over your membership requirements has definitely made certain aspects of the Society more clear to me in terms of what standards you’re looking to achieve, so I greatly appreciate that. Pretty sure I could fit into a Traveller slot myself, with maybe one or two small issues that should be relatively easy to remedy. How do you guys prefer one go about submitting?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Once again, thanks for sharing.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Manveruon wrote:Haven’t perused the entire thing yet, but I can already tell this one is going to be of special interest to me, thanks!

Incidentally, looking over your membership requirements has definitely made certain aspects of the Society more clear to me in terms of what standards you’re looking to achieve, so I greatly appreciate that. Pretty sure I could fit into a Traveller slot myself, with maybe one or two small issues that should be relatively easy to remedy. How do you guys prefer one go about submitting?
Weird, I could've sworn I replied to this last night. Hoom.
Email is best. We will probably release the Tiers as a separate document in the near future, but ran out of time for this issue. We will probably be adding persona requirements for upper tiers (basic at Traveler, more detailed at Contributor). It should be pointed out that the earlier MERS Standards (published in Winter 17/18) still apply and should probably be reviewed along with the Tiers, so folks know what the overall kit/persona expectations are at the finish line...the tiers are simply a 'roadmap' or 'scaffolding' for those who may be intimidated or overwhelmed when first encountering the Standards.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Can’t wait to get a submission from you!

Best way to submit would be through our email, middlearthreenactmentsociety@gmail.com Just do the best you can with providing the requested info for the tier you’re aiming for (not forgetting that each tier adds on the previous, ie. foam weapons still don’t count further along in your journey, etc.)
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Great news letter, thanks :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.