No stupid questions? Challenge accepted!

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: No stupid questions? Challenge accepted!

Post by Iodo »

Jack wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:08 am That seems unnecessarily harsh... Sorry you have to deal with that kind of thing. If you ever get to do your RV trip abroad maybe you could time it so you can attend one here? Just spitballing...
yep, I was told that the general public are there to learn, and that because my kit was (quoting them here) "wrong" it would spoil the educational aspect of the fair and so I should be wearing modern clothing

I should also point out that one of the times the criticizer in question had more visible machine stitching and non authentic materials in they're kit than I did, they were also wearing the wrong kit for the weather while I was warm and dry and teaching people how correct use of authentic fabrics can be both comfortable and practical

Yavion wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:49 am I'm sorry that you've had that experience. I've gone through that myself. Some Ren Fairs get mad when you show up in Medieval gear and are not one of the performers/vendors and I've gotten a talking to for it...

...I didn't realize that something like Ren Fair didn't exist in your area. I suppose when your people actually lived through it and have castles it's less interesting. I recall chatting with an English friend about how infrequent SCA events are in England. More about wild west/cowboy reenactment at the time.
Elleth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:58 am Sadly I can kind of understand that. Let in the MERF-ers (or even the MERS-ers) and the next thing you know you're full of Disney pirates and Star Trek landing parties*. "Strictly historical" is an easier line to draw than "somewhere north of medivalish fantasy and south of Spock ears"
nowhere does it say in the event details for public medieval fairs that you can't dress up, it is a free country so I don't se why I shouldn't wear what ever clothing I want, I might have the wrong attitude, but if you're running a public event it strikes me that the whole point of it is to entertain the people who want entertainment, and educate people who want education, they have all paid for tickets after all. If it's a specific living history event where everything should be authentic then I understand fully, but those also don't happen much in the UK. At a crowded public fare where children occasionally dress as storm troopers or Spiderman I honestly don't see why it matters if an adult dresses as someone from Middle earth

I can say that I haven't heard of west/cowboy reenactment being big over here, it was in fashion for a little bit about 10 years ago tho?

Yep, no Ren Fares, I wish someone would run one tho, one of the big not strict ones where people can show up dressed as just about anything without getting yelled at, it would be fun. but that said, British people tend to be vey judgemental towards anyone who dresses up as an adult, and peer pressure is a huge problem so not many people do it, so the concept of it might not work?

Elleth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:58 am That said, I'm kinda surprised there's not already a Tolkien or general hippyish-midsommer festival where it'd be a perfect fit. :(

----
* though Disney pirates are awesome. ;)

There use to be a Middle earth festival but I never got chance to go to it, then covid happened and the event organiser that ran it went out of business so I doubt it'll be back, it's a shame. as for "general hippyish-midsommer festival" I guess that would be the Llangollen Fairy Festival (http://northwalesfaeryfestival.com/) where there is a traditional turnout of many steampunks, maybe I'll go to that one some year?

pirates, yep, the world has got crappier, the annual pirate festival has gone now too, same reasons :evil:
Last edited by Iodo on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

If I lived in the UK I would make the drive to Tolkien Tage every year. It looks far better than any ren faire I've ever seen.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:45 am If I lived in the UK I would make the drive to Tolkien Tage every year. It looks far better than any ren faire I've ever seen.
I had not heard of that one, thanks for the heads up but (like the concept of a MERF moot) it does rather fall into the bracket of "very expensive trip" for me
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

This is interesting, so I will toss in my two cents:

1) I would love to learn fantasy languages, but I have yet to successfully learn a real second language, which is more important. I do like the idea of a form of ranger hand signs. I don't think Tolkien mentioned any, but I could be wrong.

2) I go regionally specific with an eye towards the inspiration of ranger gear - essentially, what I think early medieval clothing might have been like in Texas. That is mostly due to heat, as the terrain where I live is close enough to that of southern England other than less rain and more broiling outside (it got up to 108 last week, and the feels like temperature is normally 10 degrees over that.)

3) I haven't been hiking in public. I would definitely be more comfortable in a group of like minded hikers than by myself, however.

4) I prefer spear/hand and a half. A spear is incredibly practical, and is extremely effective. I would carry a bow, but for hunting rather than combat. A sling is a good idea as well, and worth looking into. As for the hand and a half sword, that is mostly due to the movies and Viggo Mortenson, although from a practical perspective I can argue that the versatility is useful (it can be used with a shield, as a two hander, or with another blade theoretically.) I also favor carrying a variety of knives. I am considering a small axe, but am not sure of the practicality.

5) I see no reason to carry a firearm, although if I was in grizzly country I might consider a 357 or a shotgun. Where I live a spear would be just as effective as any gun against just about anything, and most animals have no desire to attack humans. We have a lot of snakes and a shovel is way more effective than a pistol would ever be.

6) Goals: I try to test gear at the moment. Once I get a kit nailed down, I might work towards more advanced woodcraft.

7) I did a local dnd campaign with a d20 lotr ruleset once. I still have all the PDFs actually. I would love to revive in person lotr roleplaying, especially since a local speakeasy has dnd nights (the ambiance is great). I don't really have time for online however.

As far as renfairs go, I intend to visit some in kit. If anyone knows the best ones in Texas or wants to go as a group I would be very interested for sure.