Hello from Costa Rica

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rockfarm
Wayfarer

Hello from Costa Rica

Post by Rockfarm »

This is my first post, I was so excited to find this forum! I live in the mountains of Costa Rica but was a firefighter in the States (retired). I love Tolkien's work and also love bushcraft, had no idea others did too! Looking forward to learning from you all and posting pictures of the forest here. Thank you for having me!
Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall...
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: Hello from Costa Rica

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Welcome!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Welcome to the forums Hidstan, I hope your stay is long and productive.

Are you another one of Durin's folk?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Rockfarm
Wayfarer

Post by Rockfarm »

Eofor wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:34 pm Welcome to the forums Hidstan, I hope your stay is long and productive.

Thank you, my wish is for the same! I have not yet found my folk so for now I am just a wanderer learning from those I meet.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Rockfarm wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:47 pm
Eofor wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:34 pm Welcome to the forums Hidstan, I hope your stay is long and productive.

Thank you, my wish is for the same! I have not yet found my folk so for now I am just a wanderer learning from those I meet.
Forgive me, the name Rockfarm sounds very Dwarvish.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Welcome, Ranger!

Are you on BCUSA?
Rockfarm
Wayfarer

Post by Rockfarm »

Harper wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:23 pm Welcome, Ranger!

Are you on BCUSA?
Yessir, I love that place!
Rockfarm
Wayfarer

Post by Rockfarm »

Eofor wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:38 pm
Rockfarm wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:47 pm

Forgive me, the name Rockfarm sounds very Dwarvish.
I can see that now! Lol

It's just a common username for me, originally my uncle's joke. We had a small farm in the Ozarks but all we could grow was rocks!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome ranger :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Mae govannen!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

With so many newcomers to the forums lately I just thought it may be a useful tool to get you all a handful of links which may help you with your aspirations in the hobby.

To begin with let me draw inspiration from Greg in the ‘Please read before posting’ thread at the top of the forum
We do not 'dress up' solely to dress up...we are after the heart of Middle-earth, and making it feel as real as possible. Because of this, you will find sparse cosplay and LARP discussion here. We do not discourage these activities, but understand that things that hinder sharp swords and hunting live quarry often do not receive the same attention as live fires in the backcountry.
This is the difference between this forum and other outlets for the hobby, if you’re here it’s because you want to LIVE Middle Earth or see those who do. To that end, as much as I encourage you to get out there and start in whatever kit you have, I’d really love to see that kit evolve into the one you dream of and hopefully these tools will help you on that path.

To begin, let me link to the home site of the Middle Earth Reenactment Society, a High Authenticity Organisation dedicated to the furthering of J.R.R. Tolkien cultural studies, within the framework of ‘historical’ reenactment.
They publish a quarterly newsletter (the back issues of which are all available on the site) containing all sorts of things such as researched articles, gear guides, advice on persona development and patterns and recipes.
It is an invaluable resource - https://edgeofthewild.org/

Secondly here is a link to a sticky thread in the getting started subforum written by Udwin outlining a logical progression within the hobby. One key part of this is persona development which I’ll elaborate on below.
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =36&t=3427

So lastly here is Udwin’s thread in which he gives a persona creation worksheet which is an essential tool in figuring out exactly who and what you’re trying to portray in Middle Earth.
Where do you live? How old are you? What are your goals and motivations? All questions you should have an answer to early on as they will help to shape your decisions in building your kit.
Developing a persona will also help expand your research skills as you check dates against major events and try to find locations on maps that match your geographical location and clothing choices. It expands your knowledge and appreciation of Tolkien's work and draws you deeper into his world.

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... f=7&t=3529

And here is a great example of this persona building in action

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... f=7&t=4432

I really hope these links are of some use to you, if ever you need advice then my door and those of your fellow rangers are always open.
Rockfarm
Wayfarer

Post by Rockfarm »

Thank you for this, it really is helpful! Brings up ideas and possibilities that I would not have thought of on my own.