MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:09 pm It's not all pony rides and bright daisies in the sunshine, the borders still need watching.

Very true, I filmed some footage on that day (the photo is actually a still from it) and I was hoping to make some sort of short film about that, but since I watched it all back I realized it was so windy that the camera didn't pick up anything I said, but maybe I can still make something of it?

Eofor wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:09 pm ...after having worked out in all conditions for so many years I thrive on such conditions and find a beauty in them that most miss.

I often get the same feeling, and after narrowly avoiding getting hit by a flying 10ft piece of aluminum pipe lagging at the factory early that same morning, I honestly felt quite safe out in the open where there was no airborne debris :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:43 pm
Very true, I filmed some footage on that day (the photo is actually a still from it) and I was hoping to make some sort of short film about that, but since I watched it all back I realized it was so windy that the camera didn't pick up anything I said, but maybe I can still make something of it?
Kill the audio, add a little voice over and some wind sound effects and you have it made.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Eofor wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:09 pm It's not all pony rides and bright daisies in the sunshine, the borders still need watching.

Eofor wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:09 pm ...after having worked out in all conditions for so many years I thrive on such conditions and find a beauty in them that most miss.

I often get the same feeling, and after narrowly avoiding getting hit by a flying 10ft piece of aluminum pipe lagging at the factory early that same morning, I honestly felt quite safe out in the open where there was no airborne debris :P
It's a great photo. It actually makes me a bit homesick. It reminds me of the Pacific Northwest in the US where I grew up.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I'd politely disagree with Tom and suggest that if your mic picked up all the fury of the storm that you should show it. Start your video with it and then cut to yourself in the living room with a nice hot cup of tea and either give the talk you had planned or instead give a talk on how living in the wild patrolling borders must have really been.
Sleepless nights, tree roots in the back, meager rations and of course the weather. I think if you did something like that your viewers would see the real life applications of the hard work that you have put into your gear.

We had one last year that I put up on our site with little caption or comment, the sound of the wind and the sleet hitting the camera are enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obES-6JvagQ
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

I like that short video, Eofor! It makes me want to quit the warm safety of my house and go out into the weather with some stout fellows.

So, Iodo, I too would love to see whatever you make of your video!
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

A lone traveller paddles down the northern reaches of the Langflood.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Lovely photos (and a nice paint job on your canoe!). May I ask what make/model that is? The lines from a distance look a bit more curved upwards than most currently modern makes, so to my eye I would think Aluminum/Grumman, but from closer the gunnels look wrong for that. What'cha got there?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Greg wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:01 pm Lovely photos (and a nice paint job on your canoe!). May I ask what make/model that is? The lines from a distance look a bit more curved upwards than most currently modern makes, so to my eye I would think Aluminum/Grumman, but from closer the gunnels look wrong for that. What'cha got there?
Thank you! The paint job was all Heimir and he did a fantastic job on it. The canoe is a $50 special off the classifieds so I am not sure, it's fibreglass and probably made by an Aussie mob called B-line but as to the style of shape you would probably know more than me. This shot is a bit closer and if you can't glean enough from that I'll PM you one (I'm not in any of the side on shots)

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Really awesome photo's Eofor :P

Tom_Ranger wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:24 pm Kill the audio, add a little voice over and some wind sound effects and you have it made.
Eofor wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:06 am
I'd politely disagree with Tom and suggest that if your mic picked up all the fury of the storm that you should show it. Start your video with it and then cut to yourself in the living room with a nice hot cup of tea and either give the talk you had planned or instead give a talk on how living in the wild patrolling borders must have really been.
Sleepless nights, tree roots in the back, meager rations and of course the weather. I think if you did something like that your viewers would see the real life applications of the hard work that you have put into your gear.

We had one last year that I put up on our site with little caption or comment, the sound of the wind and the sleet hitting the camera are enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obES-6JvagQ

great ideas, thank you, When I next have time I'll see what I can do with it

also, that video is really cool
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Desert Loon wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:19 am So, Iodo, I too would love to see whatever you make of your video!

Editing was a lot of work, but I think this is probably about the best I could do with the footage I filmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC_pz5ZYVsg&t=113s
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That was so fun. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:09 pm Editing was a lot of work, but I think this is probably about the best I could do with the footage I filmed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC_pz5ZYVsg&t=113s
Well done. I enjoy the fact that it's real and you look like you're having a good time.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Iodo, I loved all of that. I can’t tell you how jealous I am of your landscape and hiking grounds. I’m so excited to see more videos from you!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thank you all :P it was a lot of fun, I quite like being out in the wild weather because it usually means I don't come across many other hikers so I feel more like I'm in middle earth

Cimrandir wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:43 am Iodo, I loved all of that. I can’t tell you how jealous I am of your landscape and hiking grounds. I’m so excited to see more videos from you!

Thanks a lot, although I can't promise many more adventure video's because carrying a tripod and filming takes away from the enjoyment of actually being on an adventure, maybe I'll try to make them occasionally
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Hah, that's fair enough. Your own enjoyment should come first for sure!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain