MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: MERF Random Adventure Pictures

Post by Iodo »

Nice photo's Elleth :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Lovely photos all!

Desert Loon - What a beautiful landscape. I love nothing more than stark rocky crags jutting out into the sky. Great pictures!

Togon - I can see why you went with a Southern Ranger. Those photos are very Ithilien in feel!

Elleth - What a nice shakedown for your new pack. Love seeing the new puppy!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

So good to see people out and enjoying the wilds even if it's not in kit (though obviously I prefer to see in character shots!)

Lovely too to see new parts of the world and revisit memories of travel abroad.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Heading out on the Dark Canyon Trail, but theres nothing dark or canyon-like about it! Its tough fitting in photos less than 250 kb! No sword today. When I carry my stick, no sword and when i've got my sword, no stick. Next time, she'll be joining me.
Oh, and I always wear my glasses. I know, anarchronistic, but I don't want to miss any of that heavenly glory.
Attachments
20220711_100049~4_Edited~3.jpg
20220711_100049~4_Edited~3.jpg (251.78 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Togon wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:25 am Heading out on the Dark Canyon Trail, but theres nothing dark or canyon-like about it! Its tough fitting in photos less than 250 kb! No sword today. When I carry my stick, no sword and when i've got my sword, no stick. Next time, she'll be joining me.
Oh, and I always wear my glasses. I know, anarchronistic, but I don't want to miss any of that heavenly glory.
Take it from Eofor that you should never dumb down an evil sounding destination! It makes you sound far more heroic.

Glasses are a medical aid and should absolutely be worn. Heimir refuses and misses out on way too much for my liking but he hates the look in photos.

If you upload photos to Imgur then theres no size restriction.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

nice photo :P and yes, wear glasses, there's no point in going on an adventure if you cant see all the awesome scenery in it's full glory

as for:

Togon wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:25 am Its tough fitting in photos less than 250 kb!

Eofor's right, imgur is the way, I made a tutorial a while back to help out new members:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4303
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Right? That's like the one anachronism I won't go without! Almost like toilet paper. :evil:

Thank you for the tread. I'll use it well. Most of my photos are taken much further back, but I keep having crop them to save space and next thing you know, you've got my big mug in your face. Dug my old camera out and everything!
Eofor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:24 am
Togon wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:25 am Heading out on the Dark Canyon Trail, but theres nothing dark or canyon-like about it! Its tough fitting in photos less than 250 kb! No sword today. When I carry my stick, no sword and when i've got my sword, no stick. Next time, she'll be joining me.
Take it from Eofor that you should never dumb down an evil sounding destination! It makes you sound far more heroic.

Glasses are a medical aid and should absolutely be worn. Heimir refuses and misses out on way too much for my liking but he hates the look in photos.

If you upload photos to Imgur then theres no size restriction.
Oh no! Not at all! I love that trail. But the trail faces southeast, and I trek in the morning, so I had all that sun beaming down on me. And it was all uphill. I would say Dark Canyon sounds softer than how it really is! Maybe I could say Togon was patrolling the Mountains of Shadow; I think Frodo did say Mordor cooks you in the day and freezes you at night.

I guess that line came from the Rankin-Bass version. Rankin-Bass really shaped my perception of Middle Earth. Had to get a start somehow!
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

New patrol. I finished my bauernwehr bokuto, so I took her with me on this patrol. The Verdugo Mountains have signs posted for no weapons, but this gives me a surrogate. It was so hot that day! Also testing out my new 2L wineskin filled with posca. The strap was originally nylon, so I made a new, longer one out of braided sisal cord. And I know, metal eyelets on my shirt. But Faramir had a similar shirt in the House of Healing scene in Return of the King. Seriously, the Blu-Rays give you so much detail, little things like this are noticeable. The strings annoyed me so I just cut them off. My pants were coffee dyed tan, but they look white on camera.
Attachments
Orcs just don't want to give up!
Orcs just don't want to give up!
20220719_115146 (4).jpg (77.49 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
Its a long road.
Its a long road.
20220719_115120 (5).jpg (244.03 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
I could see my old home in Belfalas... Cursed corsairs of Umbar...
I could see my old home in Belfalas... Cursed corsairs of Umbar...
20220719_111702 (2).jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
Contact front!
Contact front!
20220719_093715 (4).jpg (138.05 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
Heading out
Heading out
20220719_091848 (9).jpg (82.68 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Togon, these pictures delight me. Your landscape reminds me of my own. I took a short stroll onto Mahogany Mountain this morning and the grass is yellow, with green still showing in sagebrush and especially scrub oak:

I didn't have time to follow the trail up onto the top of that hill in the background, therefore the disgruntled look here, when I had to turn around:

I was doing more field testing: still not full gear, but I wanted to see how my highland bonnet performed on a clear Utah summer day in the hills. For the past two years I too have been wearing shemaghs on my head, which are wonderful, but as I've written before I thought the bonnet might make more sense on the head of someone from northern Lebennin/Lossarnach region. It continues to give satisfaction: I can shift it to shade my face in whatever direction the sun shines.

At least my shirt was all cotton - from Greece, in fact, so I could kind of imagine it to be similar to a Gondorian garment. And then there's my new rucksack:

It's a Czech army rucksack made in 1958, so it has no synthetics: linen, leather and metal. If it looks anachronistic, I flatter myself that in its basic pattern it can resemble a Ranger's pack made with thought and skill. Here's a view of it sitting on the ground waiting to be picked up:

I might make a separate post about it. Very affordable and I found it comfortable for this brief trial at least, even with its narrow straps.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Togon, awesome pictures and scenery :P

Living in the UK I sympathise with a ban on weapons, it's annoying because it means a kit never feels quite there, when I first started I use to carry LARP weapons sometimes, until I read a news story of someone who called armed police on a teenager because they mistook a LARP sword for a real one, so now I just carry a sturdy walking staff

Desert Loon, I would imagine a highland bonnet to be too hot in the summer, I have only ever used one in winter, maybe if you get/make yourself a thin linen or cotton hood in a lighter color to keep the sun off it might be better, it would also keep the sun off the back of your neck, just an idea
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:15 am Living in the UK I sympathise with a ban on weapons, it's annoying because it means a kit never feels quite there, when I first started I use to carry LARP weapons sometimes, until I read a news story of someone who called armed police on a teenager because they mistook a LARP sword for a real one, so now I just carry a sturdy walking staff
You need to journey to the New World. Here, I carry whatever I want.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Yep, hopefully one day I will :P
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Iodo, when I took the bonnet off at the end of my outing it did indeed feel hot on top. I did wear it along with my full Highland kit (such as it is so far) to the Payson Scottish Festival on July 9: that was a very hot day and though the heat did cook up some clouds, we were in the hot sun for a lot of the time. It wasn't the bonnet that felt hot then, it was the wool over my shoulder, but having the ventilation down below helped balance that.

If I may take the liberty of showing the kilt again, here I am wearing my highland outfit on a family outing last week in the forest, about 2096m / 6877feet. On that occasion I took a little stroll, maybe a mile. I was warm but not too hot (and of course when the sun went behind the ridge then the air started cooling down very quickly).
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice get-up, I can tell you are a fandabidoz fan :P I am quite certain that the historically correct Highland outfit includes a thin linen scarf that is used to cover the head in the sun, failing that getting a lighter colored bonnet might help
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Frodo lives!