Ahoy!

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Re: Ahoy!

Post by ChoseyChas »

I think that I'm wanting to settle into being someone who sort of "falls into" or more accurately chooses, Rangering, instead of someone brought up into it. After seeing Rangers pass through places like Bree, and acrive threats like orc and Uruk, even Black Riders, becoming commonplace sites across the land, I'd choose to go into Rangering to do a sort of "due diligence" to keep the world I call home as safe as possible.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

ChoseyChas wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:16 pm I think that I'm wanting to settle into being someone who sort of "falls into" or more accurately chooses, Rangering, instead of someone brought up into it. After seeing Rangers pass through places like Bree, and acrive threats like orc and Uruk, even Black Riders, becoming commonplace sites across the land, I'd choose to go into Rangering to do a sort of "due diligence" to keep the world I call home as safe as possible.
Taurinor might be a good person to talk to, in this case! He has developed a really rich Breelander impression, and his persona has definitely had dealings with the wandering Rangers of those lands. I’m not sure if there’s any textual evidence to suggest that anyone other than the Dúnedain themselves were ever really considered “Rangers,” or any outsiders ever really joined their ranks, but I don’t know that it’s necessarily impossible either. It would be an interesting story to see a Breelander forsake their somewhat comfortable life in their town or village and opt to set out as a wandering protector of the wilds.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Iodo's backstory has no small amount of "being inspired to go out and look for adventure" after hearing stories from traveling folk, your chosen background would dictate if your persona can call themselves a ranger, Iodo can't because dwarven rangers weren't really a thing (other than in Ringulf's story according to forum canon) so instead she is a fells-ward but in all honesty she probably likes to thing of herself as a ranger
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I suppose that anyone can be a ranger....... But only some people can be Rangers.

We've got Troll-slayers, Bounders, Fells-wards etc after all
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:51 pm I suppose that anyone can be a ranger....... But only some people can be Rangers.
An interesting distinction! I’ve been musing a lot lately on Tolkien’s use of the word, and this does kind of fall in line with some of my own ponderings - although I haven’t necessarily reached a firm conclusion on whether I think anyone outside of Eriador/the Breelands even used the word much. But that little capitalization detail is VERY Tolkien-ish indeed.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Welcome, welcome! You really did find the right place! Trust me, your persona will evolve over time and settle into something just right for you. Togon started out as kind of a crazy veteran who just patrols his area just because. He eventually became an actual Ithillien Ranger. Your kit looks good already and that longsword has so much authority! Do you know how to use it? Part of the fun is knowing how to use your kit, even ones just for orcs and such.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Thanks for the kind comments! Although I don't know how to use it yet, I plan to join a local HEMA group, this is blunted specifically so I can learn. I also just arrived back from a meeting with a traditional archery group here where I am to learn that as well!
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Thats so cool! That will actually BE your ranger sword! Train well with it!
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Thank you, I plan to!
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

An update to the kit, I have acquired a bow of hunting weight from someone in the traditional archery club I've joined.
Attachments
20220827_192651.jpg
20220827_192651.jpg (146.75 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
20220827_192630.jpg
20220827_192630.jpg (138.53 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

54" string so a nice relatively short hunting bow- nice. Just a suggestion, buy yourself or make your own bow-stringer. It will help add years to the life of your bow because unless you've been stringing your bow over your leg for years, you'll end up twisting the limbs.
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Thank you, the fellow I bought it from threw a stringer and a bow sock in for me!
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Nice!
Frodo lives!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Seems like a good deal! How's she shoot so far?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

that's a nice looking bow :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.