Dwarven Bounder?

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Dwarven Bounder?

Post by Greg »

BrianGrubbs wrote:I know I'm really late to the game on this one, but I'm really surprised that no one brought up the dwarves song from the Unexpected Party, which says (I believe in verse two and I think I have these words correct I'm typing from memory) "The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, while hammers fell like ringing bells, in places deep where dark things sleep, in hollow halls beneath the fells."

So yeah, Fells-Ward is perfect!

Brian
Great catch, Brian. Quite the concrete reference there.

Nice to see you, by the way!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice! I've already decided to use the word, but now I have evidence, thank you :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I too am late to the party and congratulate you on your choice. For my input I would only say that perhaps I look at things different;y but it seems to me that what a ward or warden gets their name from could very well be what they guard, but it also can be from what they guard against, which puts me in mind of the FellWarden as one who guards against anything fell, keeping the fell influences out of Dwarven lands. Funny thing about bounders though, I do consider it a Hobbit contrivance myself, however When Ringulf left Erebor and his position as a Scout of Ravenhill, he ended up during the scouring along with all the bounders not under the thumbs of Sharky and his men. For all intents and purposes he was lumped in with the Bounders. He may not have had the cap and feather of a one, but he had the heart of a Bounder! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Post by Bumr Blackbrand »

Fell-Warden is the best name, and according to the Neo-Khuzdul reference I’m using (Dwarrow Scholar) it translates pretty literally to Khazr-Shumruzrak. Not exactly as catchy.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thanks guys, yet more evidence :P
Ringulf wrote:I too am late to the party and congratulate you on your choice. For my input I would only say that perhaps I look at things different;y but it seems to me that what a ward or warden gets their name from could very well be what they guard, but it also can be from what they guard against, which puts me in mind of the FellWarden as one who guards against anything fell, keeping the fell influences out of Dwarven lands. Funny thing about bounders though, I do consider it a Hobbit contrivance myself, however When Ringulf left Erebor and his position as a Scout of Ravenhill, he ended up during the scouring along with all the bounders not under the thumbs of Sharky and his men. For all intents and purposes he was lumped in with the Bounders. He may not have had the cap and feather of a one, but he had the heart of a Bounder! :mrgreen:
Some great backstory there, something about the idea of bounders always appealed to me as well, problem is I like mountains - there are few of them in the shire
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.