Shield of Eofor

From Numenor to Far Harad...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Shield of Eofor

Post by Eofor »

Here is another work in progress.

You may have noticed that alongside my belt design I had a shield mount sketched out. I plan to have those made at the same time as the belt and to use them on a shield for Eofor.

As I ground everything I do in history it will be built along traditional lines, butted board construction with a veg tan leather facing which I will dye a deep green. The decorations on the front will be cut from brass and riveted to the shield and I will edge it either with rawhide or leather.
The back of the shield will be left in bare timber but be given several coats of beeswax and linseed oil which should turn it a lovely deep honey shade.

I already have the boss here and will carve the handle from a single piece in order to get the horse head design right.

Last edited by Eofor on Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: Shield of Eofor

Post by Taylor Steiner »

That's going to be great! Can't wait to see this!
Frodo lives!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I love it already. That design for the handle is great. Nicely subtle but definitely Rohirrim in nature. Can't wait to see the whole thing finished!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I love how this group is pushing out from its Dunedain origins into the other cultures - this and your buckle are fantastic work!

oh - will it have a strap?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

I was also wondering about the strap.

Also, what is the diameter going to be?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That will be stunning. Great concept work! Can't wait to see this come together.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

It will probably have two straps. In my experience having one it is impossible to carry the shield well.

It cuts into the shoulder and the shield tends to bang around a lot of you try and move too quickly.
Two straps let you wear it like a backpack and it is quite superior.

Diameter will be on the smaller side of traditional shields for ease of carry. I'm currently thinking around 60cm but may give in to temptation and go big.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I also can't wait to see this :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Progress update on the shield project - Shield clasps are done and on their way to me.
There was a change made to the design as the previous design would have had much smaller detail making the horses harder to make out.

Next step will be the shaping of the board though I will wait until I have all the components in hand before I make any move.

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

How exciting!! Those are wonderful!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I’m so excited to see how this turns out! Those look so good!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

very nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

those are just exquisite. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.