True WMA in film

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Togon
Dúnadan

Re: True WMA in film

Post by Togon »

Eofor wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:49 pm
Cimrandir wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:18 pm

What good is swordcraft against a troll? :mrgreen:
Plenty! "What about their legs? They don't need those..."

How about the Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul scene from Star Wars Rebels? I think its called like Under the Twin Suns of Tatooine or something. Very short and direct. But also with a lot of emotion. To me, its almost perfect. And such a change from the highly acrobatic Duel of Fates.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Togon wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:48 pm Plenty! "What about their legs? They don't need those..."
Fool of a took! Think man! You would be well within grabbing distance before you got close to longsword range of a trolls leg let along whatever weapon it was using.
There's a reason Abrecan is buried under a stone in the woods behind the Inn - No use against Eofor's usual quarry.

I just watched the scene from star wars rebels. Quite good and is indicative of what I was saying about duels being short and fast and usually to the first mistake.

The makers were obviously inspired by Japanese cinema as it is essentially a samurai duel right down to the stances Obi Wan is shifting between. It's also the first time I've seen them show one of the true advantages of a lightsaber - it's ability to cut through anything.
A frustration with lightsaber duels is that they ignore the fundamental principles of the weapon - you don't need to hack and swing as the beam would do the same amount of damage regardless of the force behind it. Real lightsaber duelling would probably look a lot more like rapier work with both parties trying to control the centre line and the first touch (not cut) deciding it.

But we digress.....
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Eofor wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:13 am
Togon wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:48 pm Plenty! "What about their legs? They don't need those..."
Fool of a took! Think man! You would be well within grabbing distance before you got close to longsword range of a trolls leg let along whatever weapon it was using.
There's a reason Abrecan is buried under a stone in the woods behind the Inn - No use against Eofor's usual quarry.

I just watched the scene from star wars rebels. Quite good and is indicative of what I was saying about duels being short and fast and usually to the first mistake.

The makers were obviously inspired by Japanese cinema as it is essentially a samurai duel right down to the stances Obi Wan is shifting between. It's also the first time I've seen them show one of the true advantages of a lightsaber - it's ability to cut through anything.
A frustration with lightsaber duels is that they ignore the fundamental principles of the weapon - you don't need to hack and swing as the beam would do the same amount of damage regardless of the force behind it. Real lightsaber duelling would probably look a lot more like rapier work with both parties trying to control the centre line and the first touch (not cut) deciding it.

But we digress.....
A troll hunter! Not much of those in my area, just the occasional orc patrol or Southrons. Although there may be something hidden within the White Mountains... Who knows. It sounds like you are the expert, master horseman. But under a stone is no place for poor Abrecan!
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Togon wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:59 pm But under a stone is no place for poor Abrecan!
It's an age old method of securing your hoard - bury it beneath a mark in the landscape safe against your return. The alternatives would be to keep it in the Inn which isn't safe when Eofor is away hunting or to take it with him and it's simply too fine for that.
No, under a rock it goes until it is needed along with the rest of his hoard. It's no normal rock though, a certain dwarf made him a stone lined chamber with a carefully balanced lid that can be unlocked and pivoted.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Aye, if it be dwarf made, Abrecan would be plenty safe. You have many surprises, master horseman.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Interestingly, the discussion of the usefulness of WMA against creatures like trolls comes up an awful lot in various Matt Easton videos. One of his favorite things seems to be musing on different fantasy worlds, and what kinds of weapons might be employed when your primary opponents may not be *other people*.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

"But what about dragons?"
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Togon wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:15 am "But what about dragons?"
"Arrow!" said the bowman. "Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my farther and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!"
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Iodo wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:28 am
Togon wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:15 am "But what about dragons?"
"Arrow!" said the bowman. "Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my farther and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!"
The perfect answer! I love it!